Dining Questions

chrisrm

My husband and I will be taking our first ever cruise to Alaska on the Crown in 4 weeks. I thought I had done my research on dining options but I still don't think I have it down.

1. We originally chose traditional dining requested a table for 2 because we thought this would be a more intimate option for our honeymoon. However, it doesn't seem like there are many actual tables for 2 available. Would we be better off getting anytime dining and requesting a table for 2 there?

2. What is the general consensus on anytime vs. traditional?

3. I was under the impression that the buffet was part of anytime dining, but it seems that these are different options? If you get traditional or anytime dining do you have the option of going to the buffet?

4. If we have traditional dining where/when do we eat breakfast and lunch on the ship?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the newbie questions!!:)

In no particular order:

There really is no consensus between anytime and traditional dining. Some people like the flexibility of not having a set time. Others like the regimen of having a set time and usually getting to know table mates. We choose anytime and have always gotten a table for two when we wanted it, although people with anytime sometimes have to wait a bit..

Anytime and traditional have nothing to do with buffets or breakfast or lunch. It's just for dinner in one of the main dining rooms. Anyone can eat in the buffet whenever they want. Anyone can eat breakfast or lunch in the MDRs, assuming they're open.

P.S. Congrats and happy honeymooning.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Tables for 2 are scarce with either option, in anytime dining you might have a wait for one to become available. And they are often so close to another two top that you might as well be sharing a table.

Traditional dining only applies for dinner. Breakfast is served in the MDR (and lunch on sea days), plus in the buffet area, and there is food available 24/7 in the International Cafe. There are multiple other venues available for lunch around the ship.

Anytime dining and traditional dining in the MDRs are sit-down and be served meals, from a menu. The buffet is totally separate with different offerings, although you may find some of the items on the night's menu available in the buffet. EM

My husband and I will be taking our first ever cruise to Alaska on the Crown in 4 weeks. I thought I had done my research on dining options but I still don't think I have it down.

1. We originally chose traditional dining requested a table for 2 because we thought this would be a more intimate option for our honeymoon. However, it doesn't seem like there are many actual tables for 2 available. Would we be better off getting anytime dining and requesting a table for 2 there?

It all depends on when you want to eat? The same time each night? Or varied times.

We like to be flexible, we used to eat traditional all the time but now use anytime.

3. I was under the impression that the buffet was part of anytime dining, but it seems that these are different options? If you get traditional or anytime dining do you have the option of going to the buffet?

No the buffet is separate. Yes you can still go to the buffet anytime.

4. If we have traditional dining where/when do we eat breakfast and lunch on the ship?

One of the DR's will be used for breakfast and lunch, however when the ship is in port for a full day the DR is closed for lunch. Its open seating for breakfast/lunch in the DR.

See above.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The traditional or anytime assignment has to do with dinner in the MDR. Whether or not tables for two are available in either one would have to do with demand. If you are concerned about getting a small table in traditional, but would still want the aspects of traditional that many of us prefer (the same waitstaff, the ability to just walk in at your assigned time and know you won't be waiting in line, etc.), just go see the head waiter the first afternoon and let him know nicely you're honeymooners and would appreciate a table for two. If he can't ensure that (remember, there will be plenty of honeymooners on board), he can easily switch you to anytime.

Just check the Patter newsletter that will be in your cabin when you first board...and there should be info about where you can go to discuss any dining changes.

To find out the names of the different dining venues on your ship, look on the Princess site: http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/ and look for Dining Options and Hours on the right hand side for a PDF. It'll be very helpful for you to read this and also explore the rest of the website.

A summary of dining options:

The International Cafe: usually mid ships Plaza level in the Piazza for the ships that have it (the Crown will). open 24/7, look for the set of display cases as this is not an enclosed eatery. Great selection of items that you can ask for and the counter person will plate each one for you. If you can find a table nearby, you'll often get treated by entertainment ranging from a string quartet to acrobats. Or you can take your plates anywhere like a lounge or the pool deck or your cabin. Only charges are for gelato (if the Crown's IC offers it) and specialty coffees.

Room service, but if not in a full suite, it can be limited. It's considered customary to tip the server.

Otherwise:

Breakfast in a MDR (see the Patter for which one), open seating.

Breakfast in the Horizon Court buffet (that's what we usually do as my hubby likes the made-to-order omelets). (it opens sometime in the early morning and stays open until around 11pm or midnight; if the food is being switched from breakfast to lunch, etc., that will happen on one side, while the other side stays open)

Lunch in a MDR, open seating. Not usually open on port days.

Lunch in the Horizon Court on any day.

Lunch from the poolside pizzeria or the poolside grill (hamburgers, grilled chicken sandwiches:), veggie burgers, etc.) from about 11am to 11 pm

Dinner in the MDRs, traditional if you have it, or go to an anytime room during its hours. No switching back and forth.

Dinner in the Horizon, poolside pizzeria, grill

Specialty restaurants that have a cover charge (see that PDF I've linked to)

There may be a few other options depending on the ship.

You can even do what we do and have a mid-afternoon nosh in the Horizon to tide us over until our late traditional setting. It's quite all right.

You will soon learn.......most dads after three or four days at sea and the repetitive nature of the MDR.....end up at the burger stand near the pool or Sabatini's.:):):):)):). Very nice company of worn out dads, be sure to tip very nicely!!!!

My husband and I do Anytime and always ask for a table for two and rarely have a wait longer than a few minutes. We do tend to eat at 7:30 or later and I think that helps. If you are brought to a two top that doesn't work for you (too close to other two tops, in a busy walkway) just ask for another table. They will find one for you and typically without any sort of wait. I do think that is because we always go to the traditional dining room after it switches to Anytime. This usually happens around 7:15. Just read the Patter to find out which one switches to Anytime Dining.

If you wish to stick with Traditional (and that would certainly be my choice!), go see the Maitre D' when you board. His office hours will be listed on the embarkation day Patter [newsletter], which you'll find in your cabin. He's generally available in the mid-afternoon that day to help with dining requests, and you can verify you've been assigned a table for two or, if not, he can switch you to one.

1. Crown Princess has a rather large number of table for 2. The tables are rather close ... but tables for 2.

2. We like Anytime because we can have dinner when we wish. If you want a table for 2 just ask.

3. The buffet is for any who wish ... both Traditional and Anytime.

4. With either Traditional or Anytime you can have breakfast and lunch anyplace that is open.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions. :)

LuLu

If you wish to stick with Traditional (and that would certainly be my choice!), go see the Maitre D' when you board. His office hours will be listed on the embarkation day Patter [newsletter], which you'll find in your cabin. He's generally available in the mid-afternoon that day to help with dining requests, and you can verify you've been assigned a table for two or, if not, he can switch you to one.
I agree 100%.

Don't give up your Traditional dining because if you do, chances are that if you then change your mind, you won't be able to. You can always switch to Anytime any time during the cruise.

If you don't see where and what time the Maitre d' will be the first day, call the Passenger Services Desk. They'll know.

Explain to the Maitre d' that you're on your honeymoon. Chances are he'll accommodate you. He makes a lot of changes the first day so don't be shy to ask for what you want.

Some prefer Anytime but depending on when you arrive, you could have a long (45-60 minutes) to be seated or you'll be seated at a table for two that's 12" from the next table. One of the reasons why I prefer Traditional is that I like knowing what time I'll be eating and I can take that into consideration during the day. I like being able to just walk in and sit at "my" table. My waitstaff gets to know me and has my iced tea ready for when I'm seated. IMHO, service is better in Traditional.

We did the last cruise before dry dock on the Crown. Had Traditional seating. We were in the Da Vinci dining room. Da Vinci does Traditional for early seating and anytime after 7:30. There were 4 tables for 2 in our little corner of the room (as well as 2 4 tops, 2 six tops and one 8 top). I can't speak for how many more there were dispersed around the dining room, but they are there.

the nightly shows are scheduled around dinner time.there is two shows early and late.if you eat at 6:00 you can go to the late show..if you eat late you go to the early show.thats why we like early eating times

Thank you everyone for your advice ! I really appreciate it. I think we will stick with our traditional dining at 8:15pm reservation and see how that goes.

Concerning the buffet- what is the quality of this food? Is it lower quality than the dining rooms? Do many people use the buffet?

The reason I ask is that if you have high quality food available to you in the MDR, why would you want to go to the buffet? Maybe I am missing something here...?

Thank you everyone for your advice ! I really appreciate it. I think we will stick with our traditional dining at 8:15pm reservation and see how that goes.

Concerning the buffet- what is the quality of this food? Is it lower quality than the dining rooms? Do many people use the buffet?

The reason I ask is that if you have high quality food available to you in the MDR, why would you want to go to the buffet? Maybe I am missing something here...?

The variety in the buffet is often large, IMHO not as good as it is made and served unmass. Why people choose it, convenience, simplicity, choice, and speed. Sitdown traditional breakfast, lunch, dinner takes time. You sit, order drinks, order your food, then it comes one course at a time. Buffet you pile it all on and graze, and go for seconds as fast as you can pile it eat it :rolleyes:

We are actually big sit down and make an effort to eat the sit down all three meals except when in port.

Although you did not ask:

The menu (which changes each evening) will be the same in the traditional and anytime dining rooms.

The dress code (smart casual or formal) will be the same in the traditional and anytime dining rooms. The Patter will indicate which evenings are formal evenings. Dining venues other that the traditional and anytime dining rooms never require formal attire.

Some of the buffet options are very good, some are not so much. At night, the buffet will have some but not all of the menu items from the dining room. I love their Bavarian night theme buffet with a variety of wursts, mustards, potato salads, etc. (in addition to roasts, wok dishes, vegetables, etc.) The buffet also has the fixings for a delicious salad (I love salads) in addition to soups, fruit, cheeses, etc.

On some cruises, I've gotten dressed up and went to the dining room every night; others, particularly port-intensive cruises when I'm touring from early morning until just before dinner when I just want to make a salad, have something to eat and then relax before doing it all again the next day. I've been on some cruises when a large group of friends would meet in the buffet every night and everyone could get what they wanted, including pizza, and enjoy being in the group.

When you're on a 14+ day cruise, showering, changing and eating every single night in the dining room just isn't a big priority. At least for me.

Edited by Pam in CA

Yes, you can eat at any of these locations when ever you like.

Free Dining Locations:

Horizon Ct/Café Caribe Buffet open continuously from 5am until 11pm, serving hot and cold breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, fruits, salads, desserts. Some items good, some not so good, just like any buffet. Go anytime you like.

Trident Grill, serving burgers, fries, dogs, brats, chicken and in the evening some BBQ items. Open 11am to 11pm

Pizza by the slice and soft ice cream available on the Lido deck from 11am to 11pm.

International Café, cont. breakfast items, panini sandwiches, soup, salads, a few other selections, desserts. Open 24/7.

Room Service

Surcharge Dining:

The Crown Grill $25/pp, Sabatini’s $25/pp, Crab Shack $20/pp. Call the DINE Line for reservations.

Each day one DR is open for breakfast and you can eat there, or you can get breakfast from Room Service (there will be a door hanger order form in your cabin each day), in the Horizon Ct./Cafe Caribe or the International Cafe.

For lunch one DR is open on sea days only. All other times you can dine at one of the locations mentioned above.

See Above

With all of the great posts here, the dining options have been explained very well, however there is one thing more thing that I think is worth mentioning.

The food is great and is available anywhere and almost any time. Be sure to bring some clothes that have the ability to accommodate a weight gain! :eek:

This is a normal occurrence, especially for fist time cruisers!:D

Dixon

Something else you might take into consideration is your daily schedule. If you're on the Crown in a few weeks, it looks like you'll be in port until late evening a few days.

Juneau - 10pm departure

Skagway - 8:15 departure

Victoria - midnight departure

Will you be doing activities in the evening those days? Will you be enjoying sail-away at Skagway or worrying about getting to your set dinner time? Everyone has different cruising styles, but for us going to Alaska was all about the scenery and wildlife. I can eat anywhere, anytime, but I can't see glaciers or beautiful scenery just anywhere! So my point is I wouldn't get too caught up in meal times, unless that is super important to you. I would focus more on the itinerary and special memories you'll be making in a beautiful and special environment. Just my .02:)

I'd keep the traditional dining request. Once you're on the ship, go to see your assigned table and if it's satisfactory. If it isn't, you should not have a problem switching over to anytime dining.

I'd keep the traditional dining request. Once you're on the ship, go to see your assigned table and if it's satisfactory. If it isn't, you should not have a problem switching over to anytime dining.

Since the table numbers are usually taken off between meals they may have to see the MD or Head Waiter.