IATA airlines standerdize hand luggage size

UKBayern

Good news: IATA has announced yesterday that 250 major airlines worldwide are to adopt the same hand luggage standards, and will work with the baggage manufacturers to develop carry-ons with special "IATA-approved" seals.

The size is 55 x 35 x 20 cm, and is only applicable on aircraft with 120 seats or more. The size rules have been developed together with Boeing and Airbus to make sure every passenger will be able to fit one bag of this size in the overhead locker.

Edited by UKBayern

Hooray! And not before time.

I'd be happy to purchase a new roll aboard case (altho' I think my current one is compliant) if I was sure that it'd be accepted by all the air lines.

Yes, I see the caveat for small planes but then I gate check anyway.

That sucks! The carry on luggage is the size of a wallet now. What's the point to even bring a carry on luggage? Some people travel "light" - and it means they try to pack everything into a carry on bag. Not me! :D But I guess with the new size they will be able to pack just an underwear to change.

That sucks! The carry on luggage is the size of a wallet now. What's the point to even bring a carry on luggage? Some people travel "light" - and it means they try to pack everything into a carry on bag. Not me! :D But I guess with the new size they will be able to pack just an underwear to change.

The size of a wallet? I've done two-week business trips with a carry-on (roller) bag plus briefcase. It's possible with a bit of planning and work. And plus, that's what checking bags is for. And yes, it sometimes costs money, but that's part of travel these days...should be included in the budget IMHO.

I'd love to see the size of your wallet if you think it is "carry on" size. :rolleyes:

I have what would still be a compliant bag and I can pack in it for 2 weeks without a problem. And, no, I do NOT use the expander zipper option on it. I don't TRY, I DO it because I travel solo and need to be able to handle that bag myself anywhere, anytime, on planes, trains, busses, taxis. I do this even though I have status on my home airline which entitles me to 1 free checked bag domestically and 2 free checks bags internationally. I am currently on a 3 week business trip which required me to take several of my business suits and my Dansko clogs (I spend 8-12 hrs a day standing up), so I "sized up" to my 25" bag so I could fit all those in with what I usually take. It is 25x14x13 so 3" nches longer, same width and 4" wider. Still only weighed 34 lbs after packing.

Just because you have chosen to pack in a large bag that exceeds the dimensions of what airlines allow as cabin luggage does not mean that you are being penalized - you just choose to pack a lot of stuff.

I think the new measurements sucks too, especially the 7.5 in depth. While you can say the first two dimensions are in the neighborhood of current allowable measurements the 7.5 in. is not near any airline I know of.

Shak

A solution to a problem the airlines created themselves. :rolleyes:

Had they (airlines) actually enforced their own size and allowance rules there would be space. But they turned a blind eye to the oversized carry on's people were taking onboard. Ignored the 1 carry on and 1 small personal item rule.

Not to mention the whole $25+ fee to check a bag. (I get a free bags on AA and UA so not really an issue to me personally) Plus when we see story after story of baggage handlers being arrested with stealing stuff and bags meant for Des Moines ending up in New Delhi hard to blame folks for not wanting to check a bag and bring everything with them.

This sort of reminds me of the US based airlines winning about the middle eastern airlines. Whining that they are losing customers because they supposedly subsided by the various nations.....here is an idea......Make YOUR product more desirable to the flying public and you wouldn't have to worry about what others do.

darn it....i just twisted my ankle jumping off my soap box. :eek:

Good news: IATA has announced yesterday that 250 major airlines worldwide are to adopt the same hand luggage standards, and will work with the baggage manufacturers to develop carry-ons with special "IATA-approved" seals.

The size is 55 x 35 x 20 cm, and is only applicable on aircraft with 120 seats or more. The size rules have been developed together with Boeing and Airbus to make sure every passenger will be able to fit one bag of this size in the overhead locker.

Air Canada and WestJet have refused to comply.

Good news: IATA has announced yesterday that 250 major airlines worldwide are to adopt the same hand luggage standards

Do you have a link that says that? Because everything I read says simply that IATA has PROPOSED new standards, but 1) they have not been adopted and 2) it would be completely voluntary as to whether individual airlines choose to comply.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see new standards across the industry, because most people (Americans anyway) pack way too much stuff and try to carry on bags that are too big and too many in number. But getting everyone in a panic that this is all a fait accompli just gets people riled up for no reason.

Is it only the size or will the weightlimit be the same too? British Airways has a 23 kg weightlimit and I'm happy with that because than means that we never have to weight our hand luggage!!!!

They haven't started making the new sized bags yet....they'll wait until the proposal has been adopted.

& they've paid the kickback to IATA for making all other carry ons obsolete ;)

You won't find any of the new sized ones on sale for at least a year, I'd wager. The old sized ones, they'll be giving those away.

Air Canada and WestJet have refused to comply.

I read that today too. The problem will be if we use code share partners or if you end up in an area where another airline checks in for AC or WestJet.

For example, when flying to my next cruise, my 1st two flights are Air Canada then over to United (code share). If WestJet or AirCanada lets me on here with a non-compliant carry on, then I'll end up in a mess once I change planes in Chicago.....and will have to go back to baggage check as apparently another thing they won't allow is gate check anymore except for smaller planes....

It would be good if there was a standardization - that way you won't end up in a mess somewhere. I can understand the theory behind it though. On our last trip from Disneyworld, everyone on the Delta flight had carry ons to avoid the $25.00 fee. All the overhead bins were full before the last third of the passengers got on board and the flight attendants were going crazy trying to sort it out....

All they need to do is CONSISTENTLY enforce the present carryon rules. If they aren't consistently enforcing the size/weight limitations now, why would they enforce them with this proposed change?

I agree; this is one of my biggest pet peeves! I work hard to keep my carry on the right size by not overloading it, and I bought the right size case. Then I see someone banging down the aisle with a huge duffel and then holding everyone up while trying to stuff it into the bin. If everyone's carry on was the proper size things would be much easier--and quicker.

A solution to a problem the airlines created themselves. :rolleyes:

I agree, it is enforcement plain or is that plane and simple.

I remember a trip on Alaska, we are boarding I have my camera bag, laptop and rollerboard and my wife has her rollerboard only. So that is the allowed one bag and one personal except I'm a gentlemen (cough cough) and I'm carrying my wife's personal item.

She goes and scans BP first and down the jetway, I'm next and I am stopped and told I will have to pay to check one of my items. Never thought it would be an issue, never saw anyone stopped for being "over the limit". It was not like I had two rollerboards the camera bag (35mm) is even smaller then half the ladies purses carried on board.

I tried to point out that my wife just preceded me, that the screen had shown the same last name. That argument did not fly, she immediately called over a supervisor.

So I got on my cell and asked DW to come back up the jetway and from the door (telling her not to exit it) call the gate agent and show the GA her boarding pass that we were sitting next to each other with the last name.

Nope, no apology but allowed to board carrying three items.

To this day I wish the airlines enforced the rules like it happened to me!!

FWIW

This is untrue. As others have posted, it is simply a proposal. I doubt US carriers will adopt this; there will be outrage amongst business travelers.

Edited by grandma*knows*best

IATA has issued a statement that the new policy will not be adopted, because of pressure from mainly US airlines. IATA states that it was not a proposal, like mainly North American news outlets have reported, but that the measure was adopted at its conference in Miami this month.

Whilst European and Asian airlines welcomed the step, there was no warm and fuzzy response on the other side of the Atlantic. In some European news outlets, it has been reported that the US airlines were all in favour at the conference, even taking the initiative, but after backlash in the US media, especially Delta retracked and said that they were against it the whole time.....

I personally think it is a great shame. It would solve a lot of issues worldwide for all customers. It is still a good idea to buy a carry on which meets the requirements of most airlines, and not just those of US airlines.

I personally think it is a great shame. It would solve a lot of issues worldwide for all customers. It is still a good idea to buy a carry on which meets the requirements of most airlines, and not just those of US airlines.

Maybe, or maybe US airlines would continue to not enforce it, the same way they don't enforce their current carry on rules. I see far too many bags carried on that are clearly too big, and too many people carrying on too many assorted bags.

IATA has issued a statement that the new policy will not be adopted, because of pressure from mainly US airlines. IATA states that it was not a proposal, like mainly North American news outlets have reported, but that the measure was adopted at its conference in Miami this month.

Whilst European and Asian airlines welcomed the step, there was no warm and fuzzy response on the other side of the Atlantic. In some European news outlets, it has been reported that the US airlines were all in favour at the conference, even taking the initiative, but after backlash in the US media, especially Delta retracked and said that they were against it the whole time.....

The only problem is the airlines (at least on this side of the pond) DON'T or WONT enforce their own carry on rules. If they actually enforced the current size and number of carry on's rules they have in place this would eliminate the problem.