Mom jeans are back

iheartbda

No way, never again. I will never go back to high waists, nothing that feels like it cuts into your stomach when you sit. Even if not tight, that over or at the belly button feeling I can never go back to.

Edited by sr4mjc

Hmmm - those 3 women have awfully ample backsides and the Mom Jeans definitely highlight them (and, to me, not in a good way). But, the women in the 4 additional solo photos look OK in them. As with anything, some people need to just say NO to certain "fashion" trends ;)

Personally, I don't think any of the pictured women look particularly attractive in the jeans they are wearing.

This 60 year old grandmother will not wear them again.:D

Sherri:)

Funny thing is 25+ years ago when I wore them in my late 20's, they weren't called "Mom" jeans, they were just jeans. I never wore elastic waist, but jeans all had high waists. All I look for now is "curvy" fit because I can't wear modern or low cut or anything like that anymore. Too much around the middle to spill over because too low a ride causes muffin tops. I now wear jeans that sit at my natural waist, but they do have to be curvy fit or I can't wear them. I have a short waist and it doesn't matter how much weight I lose, that will not change.

Ugh...

I just watched the first Jurassic Park movie last night (to get ready for the new one) and Laura Dern is wearing those high-waisted jeans. It looks funny to me now but I guess if everyone starts wearing them again, it will start to look normal. Just like skinny jeans did.

While I very seldom wear jeans, I like for all of my pants NOT be below my natural waist. :)

LuLu

Me too. I'm "long" from waist to crotch and have real trouble finding jeans with a high enough "rise" to be comfortable. Australian jeans are impossible. I get NYDJ from Amazon which fit as far as rise is concerned but I don't like the really tight fit that much.

Funny thing is 25+ years ago when I wore them in my late 20's, they weren't called "Mom" jeans, they were just jeans.

This thread prompted me to look into this topic just a bit more.

I didn't know that the term "Mom jeans" was coined by Tina Fey and made popular in the SNL commercial that they did about Mom Jeans.

This is a rather entertaining article on the subject:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121346/mom-jeans-are-back-fashion-trend-gets-deserved-resurrection

What I noticed in the pictures in the OP's link is that the girls are pegging the bottoms again. I remember pegging the bottoms of my pants in grade school. This tapered leg looks horrible on me...so definitely will not be resurrected in my wardrobe. Usually, the resurgence of fashion is accompanied by a twist...

I recall hearing a lot of never again with bell bottoms...but flared jeans became very popular and can still be seen in those that never adopted the skinnies.

I think the jeans with a "normal" waist were given a bad name by the exaggerated parody on SNL. IMO, the low rise were almost forced on those who didn't want to wear that style since it was nearly possible to

find anything but, and not just jeans.

Unless one has a top tucked in how does anyone know where the waist is if wearing something out and over the waist?

After some medical issues, I've been left with a strange midsection shape and I can no longer wear tucked in tops.:( I do wear things with a lower waist to a degree. Things with what I consider a normal waist fit me better and are more comfortable.

Bottom line, there should be choices for everyone no matter what is "fashionable" at any given time.

Wonder how Stacy and Clinton on What Not to Wear would work with higher waisted things since they were big proponents of the low rise jeans/trousers? Stacy is still involved with clothes but I guess Clumton has moved on to food.:D

Wonder how Stacy and Clinton on What Not to Wear would work with higher waisted things since they were big proponents of the low rise jeans/trousers? Stacy is still involved with clothes but I guess Clumton has moved on to food.:D

I think they would follow the trend. I remember when I first started watching WNTW, they would talk about the evils of tapered legs pants and the "ice cream cone effect". But when skinny jeans came out, they started recommending them! But I noticed that they usually only recommend them for people who could actually pull them off.

I didn't know that the term "Mom jeans" was coined by Tina Fey and made popular in the SNL commercial that they did about Mom Jeans.

Actually, SNL did a commercial for Mom Jeans way back in the 70s, with Gilda Radner ...

Hmm, I guess I'm dating myself!!

No, no, no! That is the second most horrible look a woman can wear. The only thing worse is capri pants with flip flops. Unless a woman is in her twenties and has a perfect rear end this is a hard look to pull off. The lower rise pants just suit more diverse shapes, that is course if the pants fit them and "things" are not spilling out.

Just my opinion, not meaning to start an argument.

Low Rise? I can't wear anything low:eek:.....I have jeans that fit...they are

at my waist....not as high up as the ones in the photo but definitely not

low rise.....my mid section is so thick I don't even attempt to try on

low rise jeans:eek::rolleyes:

As for Gilda Radner...LOL.....if you get a chance, CNN is having a special

on the 70's....see if you can catch a re-run of the first part....it is all

about TV in the 70's:D:)

Of course, they will change the style for what's hot. :D

Many have a closet/drawers full of skinny, low rise jeans. How are they going to get us buying new denim but to change 'the look'? :D