No lobster!?

At that price I'd be looking for something else in Lake Michigan to eat.:p:D

The price for just tails is always higher anyways, whole lobster prices are much lower.

Someone really needs to go wake up Ryano though, we can't have a lobster thread without him.:eek::p

Have you checked live Maine lobster pricing lately? Due to unusual sea conditions, live lobster is in the $16 per pound range.

Lew

Not for a few months, but I saw lve, whole lobsters at a fish monger here in PA for about $7pp around Christmas. I can't imagine it's doubled in price since then. I honestly would make it every week if I could get my husband to eat it. Maybe it's more where you come from, or maybe you are over paying for it.

(Also one should bear in mind that any processing of the lobster will increase the price (freezing, taking the tail off, taking it out of the shell, etc) jacks the price up a lot as does transport it to the Midwest or further.)

Edited by JulofDenial

Maine/New England lobster is relatively cheap on the North East coast of the US (starting at about $6.50 per pound for live, whole lobsters which makes it competitive compared to other wild caught seafood), it gets more expensive the further away from New England you get. By the time you get to the west coast lobster is super premium, and it is almost impossible to find (comparatively) outside the US. On top of all that it's also a seasonal food. That said I haven't been on my first cruise ship yet, but I am under the impression that this isn't a floating McDonalds. I assume that he chefs try to use things that are easily accessible via the port they disembark from to keep things fresh, and frugal like any responsible chef does.

Just my two cents!

While interesting, it is much more likely that the upcharge lobster served on European cruises is North Sea Lobster, and not Maine Lobster.

While interesting, it is much more likely that the upcharge lobster served on European cruises is North Sea Lobster, and not Maine Lobster.

It might be, and it might not be. I would wager that if lobster -is- served on a European cruise it's one of those weird, budget European lobsters. I don't know anything about them other than they are used in place of Maine/New England lobsters in Europe/UK and are supposed to be inferior.

Other than that I stand my opinion which simply I that you can't expect the same food that's available out of North American to be available on the other side of the world. In fact, as a foodie, I don't think I really would want there to be.

I would much rather have King Crab than Lobster.....especially those things they call Lobster on Royal.

On Lobster night I usually get the Prime Rib dish with a tail on the side just to see if the tail gets any better.

OP says he got a great price on his next cruise and then wants Royal not to cut back?? Gotta come from somewhere!

I have never seen lobster selling for $16.00/lb. At Stop & Shop yesterday it was $6.99/lb. And down the street at the docks I can get it for $4.99/lb. I can't fathom that transporting the critters to Burlington increases the price to $16.00/lb.

It's not a transportation issue as we usually pay coastal New England prices here in Burlington.

It's been a few days since I saw the high prices at Price Chopper and Shaws, so prices may have come down. Here's a link to an article about the reason for the high prices.

Lew

It's not a transportation issue as we usually pay coastal New England prices here in Burlington.

It's been a few days since I saw the high prices at Price Chopper and Shaws, so prices may have come down. Here's a link to an article about the reason for the high prices.

Lew

pd $7.99 At Price Chopper on May 20th

The price for just tails is always higher anyways, whole lobster prices are much lower.

Someone really needs to go wake up Ryano though, we can't have a lobster thread without him.:eek::p

Ryan always gets on my case on these lobster threads. That is why I was glad bouhunter posted what I was thinking.:D

While I don't think the lack of lobster on a cruise would ruin my experience, especially for some of the port intensive European itineraries, I think it is a good reminder this time of the year for those sailing in Europe to have their expectations in check. It seems every spring/summer a similar thread surfaces after someone has sailed in Europe. I had forgotten about that and will make sure I don't look forward to my typical lobster cruise night when we sail in August. Or prepare myself to pay extra.

I don't buy lobster at home--As far as I know, living in Missouri, it is all frozen. I prefer to have a tail or two on a cruise or when I'm visiting a city where they are fresh. I agree with Bob, I think the tails are around $20 a pound here.

Lobster used to be considered "poor peoples" food and it was routinely served a few times per week to the prisoners, but they complained about and it was stopped.

One has to love the power of advertising and transportation - now it is served in numerous restaurants all over. We still think that lobster is picnic food, best served outdoor at a picnic table with lots of melted butter and paper towels to wipe the butter off the chin. Jan

Maine/New England lobster is relatively cheap on the North East coast of the US (starting at about $6.50 per pound for live, whole lobsters which makes it competitive compared to other wild caught seafood), it gets more expensive the further away from New England you get. By the time you get to the west coast lobster is super premium, and it is almost impossible to find (comparatively) outside the US. On top of all that it's also a seasonal food. That said I haven't been on my first cruise ship yet, but I am under the impression that this isn't a floating McDonalds. I assume that he chefs try to use things that are easily accessible via the port they disembark from to keep things fresh, and frugal like any responsible chef does.

Just my two cents!

If you have not been on a cruise ship then you really do not understand how they get their food to the ship.

Here in UK the ships leaving from our homeports that are RCI ships they bring so much of their food over from the States.

The chef puts in an order every so many weeks and it is freighted here to their wharehouses.

We eat your beef and your bacon for sure other things too.

Yes they take on fresh fruit and veg at some ports and also local beers but not much.

Actually I am turned off by the constant threats of "I am not sailing anymore". Generally these are accompanied by some entitlement whining.

Seriously just take your business elsewhere. Coming on here to post a public announcement is bizarre. What are you hoping? The cruise line is not going to come on here and beg you to stay. If you and others like you actually take your money elsewhere then they might notice (assuming there are enough of you)

Carolla5501, pump your brakes and adjust your reading glasses. There is NOTHING in my post about not sailing anymore. You and Seaus should get together, your vile bile is similar. While you are at it, run for dictator of the world; you seem to have dreams about it.

If you have not been on a cruise ship then you really do not understand how they get their food to the ship.

Here in UK the ships leaving from our homeports that are RCI ships they bring so much of their food over from the States.

The chef puts in an order every so many weeks and it is freighted here to their wharehouses.

We eat your beef and your bacon for sure other things too.

Yes they take on fresh fruit and veg at some ports and also local beers but not much.

British people having to eat American bacon - I'm surprised RCL gets any passengers at all!

The "lobster" they serve or Caribbean itineraries is nowhere near as good as Maine lobster. In fact, on or Oasis cruise, we had dinner on the 2nd to last night (2nd formal night) in Chops and our waiter brought us free lobster tails with our entre because they had so many left over in the MDR. It was inedible, tough, and tasteless. OP's in-laws aren't missing much by not getting lobster tails.

My in-laws just got off of the BOTS (Baltic) 12-day cruise. They said there was no lobster on the MDR menu. It was only available for an additional $35.! Their head waiter told them that lobster was only offered as part of the MDR regular menu in the Caribbean.

My wife and I have found the food on the last 2 RCI cruises to be deplorable. We have cruised almost 50 cruises and @ 225, 6'3" I ain't hard to please.

We have one more RCI cruise scheduled. Serenade OTS next April. We got it at such a good price last May that I hate to not go on it. But I do feel safe since it is Caribbean. After all is said and done, we may just be Princess people.

I don't know the specifics, but it's not unusual for menus to be different in different parts of the world. Not everyone gets excited about the Caribbean lobster that RCCL serves.

As for the food being "deplorable," either you had very bad luck with your last two cruises or, contrary to what you say, you are hard to please.

They don't serve lobster in the Caribbean either. They do have some small dry little rubbery things that are somewhat edible and vaguely resemble a lobster tail.

Though I don't think the lobster is anything to rave about, the times I've had it, it was pretty tender and not bad. It's warm-water lobster that they serve on "lobster night" in the MDR, not Maine lobster. Not the same thing, but I have not found it to be rubbery.

I don't know the specifics, but it's not unusual for menus to be different in different parts of the world. Not everyone gets excited about the Caribbean lobster that RCCL serves.

As for the food being "deplorable," either you had very bad luck with your last two cruises or, contrary to what you say, you are hard to please.

The last two cruises (we are Emerald on RCCL) at lunch the predominant proteins were cubed meats of different types. For consistent deserts there was jello, hard cookies, and another layer thing. At the MDR my wife was served fish that smelled of ammonia. I had to order pizza (which I could not eat past the first bite). There were other nights that just didn't do well. One night one of the chefs came out to apologize for the food. I guess I am going to stand by my deplorable description and since you don't know me AT ALL there is no contrary; it is simply my opinion. It is a shame that you are so definitive that you think all that exists is your viewpoint.

We are cruisers. We cruise every 3 months. Another person commented that I had a good buy on a future cruise so why shouldn't RCCL cut back. First of all, the cabin that we bought for $2265 for two is now selling for $3600. That bit of information could be argued two ways. One, I bought the cabin when RCCL first did the BOGO in May of 2014. (I bought 5 cruises that cloistered weekend.) So I have a good bargain. Two, when RCCL sells the same category for around $3600. they are probably making enough to not cut back on things.

Since I love cruising I want all the cruise lines to be profitable. They are in business. I guess it is kind of how one looks at our country. At 66 I have seen what I consider better times. So, relative to then, our country could stand some improving. One the other hand, a young person, with no previous experiences to draw on, may think the country is doing OK.

I've been cruising for over 20 years. I don't have any problem with the cruise lines charging a little bit more across the board so that they can keep up things that people have become accustomed to. As with any business, volume works. (Let me do some preempting here--yes, quality is important to).

Being the OP, my only intent of this thread was to relate my in-laws disappointment that they didn't have lobster in the MDR on their Baltic cruise. They have cruised 8-10 times before and they had never not had lobster so they had anticipated it, but didn't get it. That's it! Nothing more.

It is a shame that you are so definitive that you think all that exists is your viewpoint.

Back up a little there. I didn't say all that exists is MY viewpoint. I expressed that either you had bad luck with your last couple cruises or you're pretty hard to please. I phrased it that way, because I wasn't there with you on those same cruises, so I don't know what it was like. But based on my experience on a recent cruise, where the food was anywhere from just fine to excellent, I don't think "deplorable" could be applied, in general, except by someone who is very picky and difficult to please.

So, I stand by what I said - either you had really bad luck on those last couple cruises or you really are hard to please. :cool:

If you only want people to back up your opinion that RCCL food is deplorable, then you've come to the wrong place. You'll find others who complain about the food, but you can look at cruise line ratings, if you want to get an idea of the average opinion. And, on average, people are pretty well satisfied.

Edited by Paul65

The last two cruises (we are Emerald on RCCL) at lunch the predominant proteins were cubed meats of different types. For consistent deserts there was jello, hard cookies, and another layer thing. At the MDR my wife was served fish that smelled of ammonia. I had to order pizza (which I could not eat past the first bite). There were other nights that just didn't do well. One night one of the chefs came out to apologize for the food. I guess I am going to stand by my deplorable description and since you don't know me AT ALL there is no contrary; it is simply my opinion. It is a shame that you are so definitive that you think all that exists is your viewpoint.

We are cruisers. We cruise every 3 months. Another person commented that I had a good buy on a future cruise so why shouldn't RCCL cut back. First of all, the cabin that we bought for $2265 for two is now selling for $3600. That bit of information could be argued two ways. One, I bought the cabin when RCCL first did the BOGO in May of 2014. (I bought 5 cruises that cloistered weekend.) So I have a good bargain. Two, when RCCL sells the same category for around $3600. they are probably making enough to not cut back on things.

Since I love cruising I want all the cruise lines to be profitable. They are in business. I guess it is kind of how one looks at our country. At 66 I have seen what I consider better times. So, relative to then, our country could stand some improving. One the other hand, a young person, with no previous experiences to draw on, may think the country is doing OK.

I've been cruising for over 20 years. I don't have any problem with the cruise lines charging a little bit more across the board so that they can keep up things that people have become accustomed to. As with any business, volume works. (Let me do some preempting here--yes, quality is important to).

Being the OP, my only intent of this thread was to relate my in-laws disappointment that they didn't have lobster in the MDR on their Baltic cruise. They have cruised 8-10 times before and they had never not had lobster so they had anticipated it, but didn't get it. That's it! Nothing more.

but you are still booked for another adventure on RCL with poor food and no one cares what you pd for you cabin

Seaus...I'm not "fussing" about someone else's cruise. It was my relatives and they were disappointed that lobster wasn't offered on the regular menu. It is snide comments like yours that turn some people off to this board. 10,000 club or not..UR rude.

That's why I rarely comment on this board, people love to attack you.

Marg