If you do not like your cabin

maybondel

I haven't heard of too many people doing this. Typically ships sail full or nearly full. It was my impression that any rooms that may be left are held for those who may have true issues with their cabins IE plumbing problems, electrical etc..

I noticed you are sailing on the Solstice round the Pacific next year...

Our experience has been that Celebrity seems to sell out nearish to the sail date (we are on her sister Equinox in 2 weeks) so would not risk it.

I was always worried about insides so booked ocean views straight away and there seems to many of those available. Its not a balcony but less of a risk than an inside!

For an extra £300 ($620 AuD) per person you could upgrade to an ocean view at least?

Looks like a stunning cruise by the way. :)

... if you find you are not an inside cabin person ...

I shouldn't worry about that. The main difference with an inside cabin is that you can't see outside when it's dark and you're asleep. All you need do in an inside cabin is dress and sleep - bathroom time doesn't count because they don't do balcony bathrooms anyway.

;)

I shouldn't worry about that. The main difference with an inside cabin is that you can't see outside when it's dark and you're asleep. All you need do in an inside cabin is dress and sleep - bathroom time doesn't count because they don't do balcony bathrooms anyway.

;)

Oh, you are so wrong! I will guess that you never book a balcony cabin, so really don't know how much of an improvement they are.

No one only dresses and sleeps in a cabin. You will almost always spend some time there to get away from the crowds on the ship, or to do some activity planning, or even to take a short nap because you are tired after doing way too much activity. With a balcony you enjoy all that ambient light in the morning when getting dressed, and also fresh air whenever you want it. Some of us actually spend quite some time reading, or are quietly contemplating the ocean as it passes by beyond your balcony. The sound of the waves splashing against the hull is hypnotic and a great background sounds while slipping away into a nap. It's a great place to get away from everybody. :)

Plus, if for any reason you are quarantined, you won't be cooped up in a small space with no views outside or fresh air other than the A/C. :(

It is no wonder that people who book inside cabins spend as little time as possible in them. Who in their right mind would actually WANT to spend time in such a confined, closed in, viewless space? An inside is not much better than the crew quarters, and they there to work, not vacation! :eek:

I want my vacation accommodations to be so much better than THAT! :D

But, that's me. As they say, "Your mileage may vary". ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

To each their own.

My first cruise was in a cabin with a balcony. Really enjoyed the rest of the ship and people too much to be on the balcony. It took probably 15 cruises later to do a balcony again. It is relaxing. But I do alot of relaxing at home.

I really like inside cabins. Quiet, no slamming doors or music etc. from neighbors balconies. Cool and dark for relaxing and sleeping. You can use the TV to see the helm video. Also most insides have a mirror or drapes to give you the illusion of a window to help avoid claustrophobia. Many times the locations of the insides are such that there is less motion in high seas. We have always been just fine inside.

Neither is wrong. But if you do enjoy an inside cabin you can cruise twice a much.....

I noticed you are sailing on the Solstice round the Pacific next year...

Our experience has been that Celebrity seems to sell out nearish to the sail date (we are on her sister Equinox in 2 weeks) so would not risk it.

I was always worried about insides so booked ocean views straight away and there seems to many of those available. Its not a balcony but less of a risk than an inside!

For an extra £300 ($620 AuD) per person you could upgrade to an ocean view at least?

Looks like a stunning cruise by the way. :)

yes, we are booked on Solstice in a GYT balcony. I was just asking the question as a general question. Thanks to all who replied. ;)

Edited by maybondel

Oh, you are so wrong! I will guess that you never book a balcony cabin, so really don't know how much of an improvement they are.

No one only dresses and sleeps in a cabin. You will almost always spend some time there to get away from the crowds on the ship, or to do some activity planning, or even to take a short nap because you are tired after doing way too much activity. With a balcony you enjoy all that ambient light in the morning when getting dressed, and also fresh air whenever you want it. Some of us actually spend quite some time reading, or are quietly contemplating the ocean as it passes by beyond your balcony. The sound of the waves splashing against the hull is hypnotic and a great background sounds while slipping away into a nap. It's a great place to get away from everybody. :)

Plus, if for any reason you are quarantined, you won't be cooped up in a small space with no views outside or fresh air other than the A/C. :(

It is no wonder that people who book inside cabins spend as little time as possible in them. Who in their right mind would actually WANT to spend time in such a confined, closed in, viewless space? An inside is not much better than the crew quarters, and they there to work, not vacation! :eek:

What SantaFe said!

I haven't heard of too many people doing this. Typically ships sail full or nearly full. It was my impression that any rooms that may be left are held for those who may have true issues with their cabins IE plumbing problems, electrical etc..

This is what I have heard and read also.

Ha Ha Ha

You sound like my friends that had a nice suite up over the bow.

O how the liked hanging around in our deck 4 inside cabin when heavy seas started crashing over the bow.

Their cabin up high and forward moved all over the place.

My cabin low and center was the place to be for a good ride. :p

I have been in a balcony cabin, once, and decided it wasn't worth the extra money. Because I do just dress and sleep there - on UK cruises, at least, there is loads of public areas where you can get away from the crowds.

But that's not really relevant - my point is, that the OP may decide that balcony cabins, dollar for dollar, are better value than inside cabins; but the chances of him or her not being an "inside cabin" person to the extent that it spoils the holiday are very small (unless there is an existing genuine medical history of claustrophobia etc.).

;)

uhh NO thats not the 'main' difference at all.

I do MUCH more in my cabin besides dress and sleep. I require natural light and I also require immediate access to fresh air without having to get fully dressed and put on shoes and take a hike.

if it is a choice between an inside cabin only or not sailing, I choose to NOT SAIL. hell I won't even sail in an oceanview.

If you really, really don't think you can deal with an inside cabin, and depending how far from now the cruise is, I'd try to change your cabin now. I can't remember the last time we were on a cruise when there wasn't a little sign at reception saying something like "we are sailing at full capacity therefore the changing of cabins is not possible". True or not???? Don't know.

Ha Ha Ha

You sound like my friends that had a nice suite up over the bow.

O how the liked hanging around in our deck 4 inside cabin when heavy seas started crashing over the bow.

Their cabin up high and forward moved all over the place.

My cabin low and center was the place to be for a good ride. :p

Sorry, I find it hard to believe that when on a large and interesting ship with lots of places to spend time at, your suite friends would prefer to spend time in your cramped, closed in inside cabin. I think our legs are being pulled a bit tooooooo much.

And how did your friends like your box cabin when the weather was nice? Did they still prefer it to theirs?

I have been in a balcony cabin, once, and decided it wasn't worth the extra money. Because I do just dress and sleep there - on UK cruises, at least, there is loads of public areas where you can get away from the crowds.

But that's not really relevant - my point is, that the OP may decide that balcony cabins, dollar for dollar, are better value than inside cabins; but the chances of him or her not being an "inside cabin" person to the extent that it spoils the holiday are very small (unless there is an existing genuine medical history of claustrophobia etc.).

Based on what people like me want in a holiday, it WOULD affect the holiday. It isn't a mistake that all new ships are designed with the maximum number of balcony cabins possible, and the minimum insides. Just look at any cruise booking history and the insides are the last to sell out, and balcony cabins are the first. Most people want and enjoy balcony cabins.

I would never advise a new cruiser to book an inside cabin. I would always recommend they at least get an ocean view at least for their first. I want them to have the maximum enjoyment on a first cruise. Being stuck in a box for one to two weeks is not what I would advise. After that first cruise, if they find that they didn't need the views, then they can book insides for future cruises. Don't advise them to go for the least. They may not be an "inside" person and being on a first cruise would be a lousy way to find out.

Edited by SantaFeFan

uhh NO thats not the 'main' difference at all.

I do MUCH more in my cabin besides dress and sleep. I require natural light and I also require immediate access to fresh air without having to get fully dressed and put on shoes and take a hike.

if it is a choice between an inside cabin only or not sailing, I choose to NOT SAIL. hell I won't even sail in an oceanview.

With an inside a person won't know what the weather is outside unless they get dressed and walk up to an open deck. Then they might find out that their sunny weather pool outfit might not work so well if it's cold and raining.

I'm a balcony person. I too won't cruise if I can't afford a balcony. I'll just wait a bit longer to save up the difference, which isn't all that much, actually. If I'm too poor to do it right, I won't do it. I don't want my rare vacations to be the time to scrim and save. I can do that much more easily while going about my daily routines at home.

Edited by PTMary