The Voice of the Ocean

Bruin Steve

I just got this email from Princess:

Dear _________,

One of the highest rated TV shows worldwide is setting sail on select ships this Fall to become a live, in-person event onboard Princess Cruises! Introducing . . . The Voice of the Ocean.

It’s all there. The blind auditions. The iconic rotating chairs. Three charismatic coaches. You'll experience all of the excitement that’s made The Voice® a global phenomenon. Whether you’re up on stage, or in the audience deciding who gets your vote, The Voice of the Ocean invites you to experience the music you love in a whole new way with Princess Cruises.

Links to this:

EVERYTHING YOU LOVE ABOUT THE VOICE® –

AT SEA!

Rock to the songs. Thrill to the performances. Get ready to discover who among your fellow cruise passengers has what it takes to be a star! Princess Cruises brings you the excitement and spectacle of TV's wildly popular international singing competition to the high seas, live and on-stage, with The Voice of the Ocean. The show comes to life throughout the cruise with auditions, mentor rehearsal sessions, the iconic "I Want You" chairs, three charismatic team coaches and ultimately a live finale performance where guests choose the winner.

THE EXCITEMENT BUILDS

As your cruise begins, head for the karaoke tryouts where passengers and crew will select contestants to vie for the coveted The Voice of the Ocean Trophy.

Next, it’s time to polish each performance at rehearsals with musicians and expert vocal mentors. Singers are assigned a mentor who will meet with them during the cruise to rehearse with the Princess Band and back-up singers to prepare for the best possible performance!

Just before showtime, a final onstage rehearsal brings in the band, backup singers, spectacular lighting and audio effects. The time to be a star has arrived!

THE SHOW BEGINS

The Voice of the Ocean Live Show is hosted by the Cruise Director on the last night of the cruise for an audience that includes three high-profile team coaches that may include one of our guest entertainers, the Hotel General Manager or even your ship’s Captain! Just like the hit TV show, the trio of coaches will listen, but not see the performer, as they decide to turn their "I Want You" chair to choose the singer to be on their team. Once teams are chosen, coaches will then each pick one finalist.

Who's the best of the best? Audience members make the call using special voting remotes. In an instant, the votes are tallied, and the answer everyone is waiting for is revealed.

Presenting...The Voice of the Ocean!

*The vocal competition will debut aboard Regal Princess in October, followed by Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in November. Eight additional ships will offer The Voice of the Ocean rolling out between January and May of 2016.

So, it apparently won't be on my November Star Princess cruise...

But, have you ever heard onboard Karaoke? Where the heck are they going to get enough people who can actually sing to do this?

Edited by Bruin Steve

How is the going to be different from the "professional" Karaoke performers that sing night after night - usually one or two songs that they've practiced forever. Some have fairly decent voices and others don't. They drive me crazy and spoil all of the fun of Karaoke.

How is the going to be different from the "professional" Karaoke performers that sing night after night - usually one or two songs that they've practiced forever. Some have fairly decent voices and others don't. They drive me crazy and spoil all of the fun of Karaoke.

Karaoke is usually like nails on a chalkboard, so anyone who practices and has a fairly decent voice is a welcome relief. I avoid it when I can, but sometimes I get dragged there by a tone-deaf relative. Other times I can hear the caterwauling out in the hall as I pass by. I don't get "the fun of Karaoke."

Its already a sticky............

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2243475

But the story posted there doesn't mention the blind audtioning, which is a big part of the concept -- that the singers aren't selected in the first round based on looks. As for passenger talent, the time we saw the finals for Princess Pop Idol, there were some pretty decent singers.

Push the red triangle "report" button and ask the moderator to merge the two topics if they are about the same thing. I have done that before with quick action from the moderators.

IMHO no one ever looks at the sticky's. This topic already has way more activity than the Sticky one.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Bruin Steve user_offline.gif

10,000+ Club

So, it apparently won't be on my November Star Princess cruise...

But, have you ever heard onboard Karaoke? Where the heck are they going to get enough people who can actually sing to do this?

Sorry, the quote function didn't work. Years ago on a mini Mexican cruise they had it. I remember because the second or third person that got up there to sing could have been a professional, if she wasn't. No body and I mean no body could follow her act. It would be like getting up after someone like Madonna or Barbra Streisand.

Sounds like it will just replace Princess Pop Star.

I can't see them running two similar type singing contests so I would suspect you're right. Looks like it'll be on our Regal cruise in Oct. It'll be interesting to see how it's done.

My opinion on this is the same as it was/is for Pop Star. Karaoke is what it is, the good and the bad. You either enjoy it or you don't. When you make it into a competition between passengers those that are not so good and those without a large group of friends on board don't participate.

I believe talent competitions between passengers is a poor non inclusive activity for a cruise line.

Edited by sknight

REALLY?? Why in the world would we be interested in Karaoke on a grander scale in the Princess Theater. Mercifully we will be on the Caribbean Princess in September -- prior to the introduction of this show. If Princess is planning to replace it's "production" shows featuring professional entertainers with the "amateur" hour -- we, who have been loyal Princess customers, will be sailing with another cruise line. :mad:

Cheers -- Pat

REALLY?? Why in the world would we be interested in Karaoke on a grander scale in the Princess Theater. Mercifully we will be on the Caribbean Princess in September -- prior to the introduction of this show. If Princess is planning to replace it's "production" shows featuring professional entertainers with the "amateur" hour -- we, who have been loyal Princess customers, will be sailing with another cruise line. :mad:

Cheers -- Pat

If this was Facebook, there'd be a like button I could click on for this particular post.

I do hope this sort of thing will not become the new trend with Princess. Why do they seem to feel they have to copy what other cruise lines are doing? The Princess product has been great without incorporating dumb TV contest shows into the entertainment lineup. Loyal Princess cruisers became loyal cruisers because Princess didn't follow the crowd, so to speak, and retained their classy aura.

All karaoke sounds good if you're drunk enough!

Exactly! Rule #1 of karaoke: The quality of the entertainment is directly proportional to the amount of alcohol consumed just prior to and during said entertainment.

Maybe that's why they introduced the Sip and Sail promo prior to making this announcement. :)

Heck, with all the money they will save by not having to hire professional performers for one venue - the S&S promo won't cost them a dime. :rolleyes:

Cheers -- Pat

:rolleyes: calm down until it's rolled out and then make up your mind. Why are Princess cruisers so closed minded when it comes to new stuff? If you don't like it, then don't go. It's nice to see them try something different and could be entertaining.

The Karaoke is usually pretty bad. Once in awhile, you will get someone really good, but not that often.

Not only that, but when you do get that really good one, they get DQ'ed for "no professionals allowed". I saw that happen on Norwegian.

:rolleyes: calm down until it's rolled out and then make up your mind. Why are Princess cruisers so closed minded when it comes to new stuff? If you don't like it, then don't go. It's nice to see them try something different and could be entertaining.

My thoughts exactly only you probably said it better. As soon as I saw the e-mail, I just knew there would be a bunch of naysayers and conspiracy theorists posting negative comments about Voice of the Ocean here on CC.

Personally, I'll go and see how it is. The participants certainly deserve credit for trying. Princess deserves credit for trying something new as well.

Edited by beg3yrs