Church members says they were swindled out of Alaskan cruise

pcdoctor01

Church members says they were swindled out of Alaskan cruise.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/church-members-says-they-were-swindled-out-alaskan/nnbH9/

BANKS COUNTY, Ga. —

Dozens of people say they gave a church member thousands of dollars for a cruise, but that person took the trip without them.

The Banks County Sheriff's Office is one of several agencies investigating the allegations.

Each person claims to have paid up to $2,000 for the cruise they had planned on for months.

“It was going to be my first cruise,” church member Janet Pierce told Channel 2’s Matt Johnson.

Pierce was one of about 30 people hoping to be on an Alaskan cruise this week.

“I was waiting in the parking lot, had my suitcase, my suitcase had been packed since July,” Pierce said.

Instead they say a local church member who organized it all went on a cruise without them and kept their money.

“I’m not going to hold my breath because I don’t think I’ll see a penny of it,” Pierce said.

Church members told Johnson they've filed police reports against this church member, who we are not identifying because charges haven't been filed.

Pierce showed Johnson the different checks she wrote to her that totaled $1,450.

“I would like to have my money back,” church member William Varner said.

Varner paid $2,930 to the woman.

He was also told by the church member on Sunday that some were going to be left behind due to a booking error made by Norwegian Cruise Lines.

“It's not right for you and your husband to go and these few people and us all others who are wanting to go to be left behind,” Varner said.

When the group called the cruise line they were given a document showing their trip was canceled in August because of nonpayment.

“I talked to them this morning, they've never received any money and there's nothing to send back,” Pierce said.

“She got my money, where it went I don’t know, but she got my money,” Varner said.

The big question is: What's going to happen when the woman who handled the money comes back from the cruise on Sunday?

Johnson reached out to the church member several times and hasn’t heard back.

The victims are hoping theft by receiving charges are filed.

Very sad for all those people.

We had a similar situation on our area a few months ago where a small time travel agency took money from a ton of people for all types of vacations, closed shop without warning. Now she is in jail.

I prefer to book all cruises through a large travel agency. I book all our hotels and air lines on my own.

"He was also told by the church member on Sunday that some were going to be left behind due to a booking error made by Norwegian Cruise Lines."

When the "organizer" gets back she's is going to claim NCL caused all this.

The big question is: What's going to happen when the woman who handled the money comes back from the cruise on Sunday?

Johnson reached out to the church member several times and hasn’t heard back.

That's odd. With all the money she stole, you think she'd opt for the unlimited Internet package!

But seriously, what a terrible situation, both in terms of finances and broken trust. Those unfortunate people, to be burned by someone else's greed!

Maybe she's going to flee off the ship in Alaska and hide in the wilderness. I mean, she has to know she will be caught if she did come back. On the other hand, she probably didn't think this scheme all the way through...

I would be interested in a follow up and see what happens to her when she gets back. There's no way she can blame it on a mistake by NCL. I hope she is tarred and feathered than put in prison where she belongs. It's mind boggling that she thinks she can get away with 30X an average of $2,000.

Same thing happned in our area a few months back to a group of girl scouts who were going to Disney They had worked so hard to earn the money to go but the "person" who was supposed to handle their arrangements never booked anything.

Fortunately an anonymous donor stepped up and they were able to go.

Karma baby......karma!!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

"He was also told by the church member on Sunday that some were going to be left behind due to a booking error made by Norwegian Cruise Lines."

When the "organizer" gets back she's is going to claim NCL caused all this.

Yep. She's going to claim that she paid NCL on everyone's behalf, and NCL screwed up.

:eek:

I hope the women have a welcoming party at one of their ports of call

That is outright fraud

I would be checking to make sure they still lived in the same place & not have moved on

If the cruise was cancelled in Aug due to non payment that does not make sense isn't final payment 90 days prior to the cruise ?

Unless the scammer just booked last minute but did not send any money in after reserving the cabins

There's something a little weird about this story. If a number of people were simply left waiting in the church parking lot, and apparently contacted the local police, why wouldn't charges have been filed against the couple? And why wouldn't the local police have taken some steps to determine if the woman had actually boarded the ship? And, if she was on the ship, wouldn't there be a way to have her detained upon debarking?

My guess is that she never got on that ship, but is happily enjoying myself somewhere far away from Alaska. Would love to see a followup and find out how the story ends!

My guess is that she never got on that ship, but is happily enjoying myself somewhere far away from Alaska. Would love to see a followup and find out how the story ends!

My guess is you are correct. I suspect she used the money to move far, far away under a new name. We'll see, of course; I do hope someone keeps us updated on this story. This is very sad---and terrible for the people who lost their money---but unfortunately only the latest example of what's known as Affinity Fraud (look it up; it's fascinating).

Edited by Langoustine

If the news does a follow up, I'll post it. I've never been to Alaska but from what I've seen, an Alaskan cruise is not cheap. A co-worker who hasn't heard about the story wondered if the lady was from Alaska and might stay there or might never come back like someone else said.

Edited by pcdoctor01

Hmmm. I rather doubt she'll actually be back.

That went through my mind too. 30 people times an average of maybe 2,000 would equal to $60,000, a nice sum to start a new life and do some more scamming elsewhere.

What I would like to know is how long has she been affiliated with the church. Or was it shades of "The Music Man."

It's never nice when folk get scammed. I'd be very wary of trusting someone with my money unless I'd known them an awfully long time. As previous posters have said, how long was she a member/affiliated with the church these poor people go to. It is possible that the answer is not long, and she used her 'godliness' and wiles to scam poor Christians into thinking the best of her and giving her the money. I mean they'd feel bad to think bad thoughts about a fellow Christian, of course they are going to trust her....

If the news does a follow up, I'll post it. I've never been to Alaska but from what I've seen, an Alaskan cruise is not cheap. A co-worker who hasn't heard about the story wondered if the lady was from Alaska and might stay there or might never come back like someone else said.

Hopefully you will be able to let us know the out come of this story. Thanks

I hope she comes back....gotta feeling there will be "a come to Jesus meeting"

if she does show up. That's what we call it in the South.

A term we used to use in NC is "a religious experience."

Moral of the story: Never do business$$$ with anyone from a religious organization cause criminals know that patrons of such are trusting and believe that "THEY WOULD NEVER DO THAT!!"

Actually the lesson is to not do business except with an established company of good repute. My hubby and I were actually talking about avoiding investing on the say so of a co-worker or friend, but even more so with someone that can run off with your $, which is what I believed happened in this case. I would be surprised if this person doesn't go to one town, join a church, stay a while and then do this scam or a similar one, before moving on, and repeating the process.