Any discounts for infants?

Raenstoirm

There doesn't seem to be any way to put in that I will be cruising with two infants less than a year old (twins). Their system is charging my over $1000 a baby. I totally understand they need a life jacket and take up a spot on a lifeboat (they would sit on a lap in an emergency, but I get the legal every soul counts thing) but they literally use no other amenity. They don't eat yet and can't use the pools since they aren't potty trained and are too young for the kids clubs. If I put them in the day-care that is a separate charge. Even Disney with their outrageous pricing, charges a very small amount per baby (the most I saw was $500). Are my just missing something or do they really charge that much? We thought it would be a nice getaway to take a last minute cruise from a local port, but because of the way they charge babies, Disney ends up being cheaper! And we have to fly to get to their ports! :rolleyes:

This has been discussed before and I found a good thread for you to read. I understand your point of view, but I'm afraid most people do not agree that your two babies will not be doing anything onboard the ship and therefore should be offered a discount. Please read this thread, especially post 15 which, I think, explains things quite nicely from a mom in a similar situation. :)

How old will the babies be? Obviously between 6 and 12 months I gather, but will they not be eating any solid food? Are you bringing all of their food with you?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1245702&highlight=infant <---click here

There doesn't seem to be any way to put in that I will be cruising with two infants less than a year old (twins). Their system is charging my over $1000 a baby. I totally understand they need a life jacket and take up a spot on a lifeboat (they would sit on a lap in an emergency, but I get the legal every soul counts thing) but they literally use no other amenity. They don't eat yet and can't use the pools since they aren't potty trained and are too young for the kids clubs. If I put them in the day-care that is a separate charge. Even Disney with their outrageous pricing, charges a very small amount per baby (the most I saw was $500). Are my just missing something or do they really charge that much? We thought it would be a nice getaway to take a last minute cruise from a local port, but because of the way they charge babies, Disney ends up being cheaper! And we have to fly to get to their ports! :rolleyes:

your baby's are the same as adults. They take up occupancy.

You don't really think this idea of bringing infant twins will be a vacation do you?

There doesn't seem to be any way to put in that I will be cruising with two infants less than a year old (twins). Their system is charging my over $1000 a baby.

I feel your pain.

FAQ

Q: Are there special prices for children or infants?

A: Because Royal Caribbean cruise vacations offer so many special activities for children, we do not usually offer discounted rates. However, anyone staying in the same stateroom with two full-fare paying guests will pay a special third and/or fourth guest rate. So if you intend on having your children stay in your stateroom, their rate may be lower.

except is rare sales or promotions age is NOT a factor when booking a cruise.

ships do not cater to families who think their kids should be free for all things just beciase they are kids and 'don't use any of the amenities'

your children still make a mess and the cabin steward has to clean up after them unless you plan of disposing of the diapers and their contents safely yourself(hint.. the crew areas where disposal takes place are off limits). you will bathe them.. using towels. they will sleep in a pack n play using sheets.

the dining staff will provide age appropriate foods and entertain them so you can dig your lobster meat out

some ships have splash zones for non potty trained kids to use. many ships have a toy lending program or an open play time

many shows are open to all ages.

I haven't ever cruised with a child, much less an infant. I totally get your frustration at the pricing being that they won't use most of the amenities on the ship. I also understand (to an extent) the other point of view being that children take up space and sometimes create as much or more of a mess for the attendants as the adults do.

While many (if not most) tourist attractions and restaurants offer discounts for children, Royal doesn't. Given their pricing structure, I would think cruising with an infant may not be the best option no matter which line. Perhaps wait till they're a little older and can participate in some of the activities offered on the ship for little ones, and take advantage of one of the promos that offers free passage to 3rd and 4th cruisers in a cabin. And until then, maybe opt for a land-based vacation.

We did a family cruise a few years back and our 3 month old granddaughter came along. We paid 3rd/4th person pricing for her and she really didn't eat anything, breastfed only. She never touched the floor and made no mess except the several diapers in the trash each day.

We had a great time and she was no problem at all. The crew fussed over her endlessly. And, without a doubt, it's better to be cruising with an infant than stuck at home while everyone else is off on a vacation! There were plenty of arms to hold her, so mom and dad didn't have to all the time and she was a delight.

We did a family cruise a few years back and our 3 month old granddaughter came along. We paid 3rd/4th person pricing for her and she really didn't eat anything, breastfed only. She never touched the floor and made no mess except the several diapers in the trash each day.

We had a great time and she was no problem at all. The crew fussed over her endlessly. And, without a doubt, it's better to be cruising with an infant than stuck at home while everyone else is off on a vacation! There were plenty of arms to hold her, so mom and dad didn't have to all the time and she was a delight.

I thought infants had to be at least 6 month old? Is this a new change?

It's all perspective. We have been blessed with three grand children in two years so we understand the OP's plight...not that it helps any.

I wasn't aware it had changed, but for sure it was 3 months when we took Gracie....she was born August 24 and the cruise was in November at Thanksgiving time.

We did an 11 day San Diego Mexican Riviera down to Acapulco and back on Celebrity Mercury in 2006. We had 4 grandchildren ages 3 months, 3 years, 4 years, and 5 years old, and we had a absolutely wonderful time!

Don't be afraid of cruising with children, we've been on several cruises with small grandchildren and it was great.

On RCI infants "must" be at least 6 months old.

We just cruised for the second time with infant grandchildren (19 mos.)...Had an amazing time. They'll probably reach Pinnacle someday as their each D+ now..We'll never reach that level..but helping them to ;)

We did an 11 day San Diego Mexican Riviera down to Acapulco and back on Celebrity Mercury in 2006. We had 4 grandchildren ages 3 months, 3 years, 4 years, and 5 years old, and we had a absolutely wonderful time!

Don't be afraid of cruising with children, we've been on several cruises with small grandchildren and it was great.

That explains the age of 3 months. The lower age limit was not in place at that time.

On RCI infants "must" be at least 6 months old.

We just cruised for the second time with infant grandchildren (19 mos.)...Had an amazing time. They'll probably reach Pinnacle someday as their each D+ now..We'll never reach that level..but helping them to ;)

Just like all things, this isn't always true. Here's the statement on age to cruise from RCI website. It's usually six months but can be as much as twelve months.

INFANT POLICY

Infants sailing on a cruise must be at least 6 months old as of the first day of the cruise and/or CruiseTour. HOWEVER: For transatlantic, transpacific, Hawaii, select South American and other selected cruises and/or CruiseTours, the infant must be at least 12 months old as of the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour. For the purposes of this policy, any cruise that has 3 or more days consecutive at sea will require infants to be 12 months old on the first day of the cruise/CruiseTour.

Please be aware that guests travelling with a young infant that does not meet the infant policy will be denied boarding. No refunds or other compensation shall be due from the cruise line to anyone as a result of the denial of boarding to an underage infant or other accompanying guests.

Read more at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=309#a1WGY1kL9weDChEj.99

Take a look at MSC, Carnival, and NCL.

MSC and NCL usually run a kids sail free promo.

NCL and Carnival do not charge gratuities under age 2. Not sure about MSC.

I have received direct mailers from Princess offering free 3rd guest.

$1,000 does seem a lot for an infant since they are not eating the same foods the adults do, yet, the crew and ship are still providing a service, cleaning etc, therefore a fee is charged. I do find it interesting how prices will vary depending on the cruise. An example was during our trip last year out of Sydney, Australia a 3 rd passenger rate for our adult daughter was about $800 yet our upcoming cruise out of Quebec the charge is $1250.

$1000 for both? $1000 each doesn't seem like a 3rd/4th person rate. We have taken two cruises with 12 month and 22 month old grandchildren. We always paid the 3rd person rate for them.

As for the cruising age it does depend on cruise line and number of days at sea, as previously posted. We had planned a Thanksgiving 2014 family vacation on the Oasis. However, between planning and departure one of the DIL decided to get pregnant. Iris was born October 4th so way to young to cruise on Oasis or any other line. I think somebody would let them cruise at three months, but not sure. We ended up doing Club Med Ixtapa and had a wonderful time.

Check with the cruiselines, as they have guidelines as to what age the children have to be to sail... The cruiselines charge 3rd/4th person fare for ANY age child.. They are considered passengers, although they won't "spend" money, they do count toward the total passenger count for the ship..

Edited by TigerLady