5 passengers/do we need 3 cabins?

MizzOhara

Hello,

If we have 5 people cruising and two to a cabin, what does the 5th person do? Do you book a cabin for one person? How do families go about booking rooms for everyone if there is an odd #? I can't imagine the 5th person wants to stay with a stranger

Thanks Y'all

Mizz O'Hara

Hello, and welcome. There are many possibilities: a large suite, 2 cabins (connecting or not), one balcony and one inside cabin across the hall... lots of ways to do it. One person does not need his own cabin as many of the cabins will sleep 4 people (thus, 2 cabins). A two-bedroom suite is another option, as mentioned.

Are you all family? Or is it two couples and a single?

What cruise line and ship? We can help you more if you tell us that. :)

We are 5 women on a girls trip so not sure how to go about it. so we need to sleep 5. Don't mind separate cabins but didn't know if we needed 3 cabins. We don't want to be on top of each other so I guess connecting would be good but what about the 5th person? Do we book 3 adding cabins? Does the cruise line charge one person double if they have a cabin by themselves? Can we book it all at one time?

oh and we are a group of teachers so not much room to play with. We have a winter break in Feb but we can only squeeze a short 3 day cruise for a quick break. We were looking at a short 3 day to the Bahamas or Cozumel and we are from Georgia so we thought Port Canaveral, Tampa, or New Orleans. We are not partial to a ship. We plan to have fun on whatever ship we wind up on

We are 5 women on a girls trip so not sure how to go about it. so we need to sleep 5. Don't mind separate cabins but didn't know if we needed 3 cabins. We don't want to be on top of each other so I guess connecting would be good but what about the 5th person? Do we book 3 adding cabins? Does the cruise line charge one person double if they have a cabin by themselves? Can we book it all at one time?

I would suggest two cabins so that two bathrooms are available. They could be connecting or not. Depends on what you want and availability. One cabin would sleep 3, the other 2. Unless you are young, I would suggest forgoing cabins with Pullman bunks (drop from ceiling). The cabin sleeping 3 should have a sofa bed.

Depending on your budget, a few ships have small suites with a connecting balcony cabin. There are also multi-bedroom "family" cabins/suites. But they tend to be a bit pricey.

An approach that works successfully is a large balcony or a mini-suite (on some ships) that has a fold out couch bed with an inside cabin across the hall. The mini-suite becomes the main activity room and the inside is a sleeping quarters for two. Saves a few bucks but it will accommodate 5 comfortably.

Hello,

If we have 5 people cruising and two to a cabin, what does the 5th person do? Do you book a cabin for one person? How do families go about booking rooms for everyone if there is an odd #? I can't imagine the 5th person wants to stay with a stranger

Thanks Y'all

Mizz O'Hara

Given what you have posted, I recommend that you get a good travel agent to help you. This is a lot simpler than you seem to think it is, however, the way cabin sleep 3 or 4 is different.

The cruise line deck plan will tell you how many the cabin can hold. However, some have a sofa bed and some have a bunk bed. I'm guessing you don't want a bunk bed.

Yes, a cruise line will charge a single person double, so you will want two cabins (not three). If you are worried about being on top of each other, then I recommend a mini suite for three and a normal cabin for two.

But again, I recommend you find an agent who can help you. It does not cost any extra to use a travel agent.

Given what you have posted, I recommend that you get a good travel agent to help you. This is a lot simpler than you seem to think it is, however, the way cabin sleep 3 or 4 is different.

The cruise line deck plan will tell you how many the cabin can hold. However, some have a sofa bed and some have a bunk bed. I'm guessing you don't want a bunk bed.

Yes, a cruise line will charge a single person double, so you will want two cabins (not three). If you are worried about being on top of each other, then I recommend a mini suite for three and a normal cabin for two.

But again, I recommend you find an agent who can help you. It does not cost any extra to use a travel agent.

thank you very much. yes that makes sense and I found what you are talking about. Have never booked online before. Thank you for the help

Honestly, I'd suggest booking 2 rooms (2 in one room and 3 in the other). Maybe even connecting, if you want to be able to mingle without having to go out in the passageway to go to the other room.

A single person in a room is usually assessed a single supplement fee (usually 100% of a regular fare), so the single person you book in a room by herself will still be paying for 2 people in that room.

A third person in a room, generally, pays less than the first 2.

oh and we are a group of teachers so not much room to play with. We have a winter break in Feb but we can only squeeze a short 3 day cruise for a quick break. We were looking at a short 3 day to the Bahamas or Cozumel and we are from Georgia so we thought Port Canaveral, Tampa, or New Orleans. We are not partial to a ship. We plan to have fun on whatever ship we wind up on

This suggests to me that you aren't going with the intention of sitting about in the cabin or on the balcony. Therefore I'd say get towards the cheaper end of the accommodation on your chosen ship, and use it strictly for sleeping and getting dressed. When you're asleep, it doesn't really matter how little room you have.

Hello,

Thanks Y'all

Mizz O'Hara

some cabins can hold 3 or 4 passengers using a fold out couch, or beds that fold out from the ceiling. Family size suites will hold as many as 10 or 12 ( but these tend to be the very most expensive options overall..as in booking 2 cabins that hold 3-4 each will be cheaper. )

parents can choose to book their kids in connecting cabins( interior door) or in a room directly across the hall.

RCI, as example, offers several family stateroom and suite options that will comfortably accommodate five in a single stateroom, some that have two bathrooms as well. They can prove to be a good value on a per person basis. As others have mentioned there are also multiple combinations of two staterooms that will accommodate the five of you.

Your best bet may be to talk to a travel agent that specializes in cruises to assist with finding the options that will fit you best. You can also do that directly with the cruise lines as they will clearly know their ship's offerings. Or just go on line to the various cruise lines and play around with searching your options on your own.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hello,

Thanks Y'all

Mizz O'Hara

2 in one cabin and three in the other is probably the way to go, unless you want to evenly split the cost of a suite on NCL (they have suites that sleep 6). For a three day cruise though I would personally go with two cabins.

I agree with others -- 2 in one cabin, 3 in the other. However, most cabins on a ship only sleep 2 people. Some cabins sleep 3 or 4 -- maybe 20% or so. The ideal would be 2 connecting cabins with one cabin sleeping 3. The problem is that all such cabins might be already booked. Many cruisers are now booking for 2017 -- over a year away -- especially if they want connecting cabins or cabins that sleep 3 or 4.

It will be crowded but not bad, especially since for a 3 day cruise you don't need nearly as much luggage or cabin storage space than for a longer cruise. In a pinch one or more of you can shower in the ship's spa/gym.

Edited by Jimnbigd

They will NOT put 2 "strangers" together...ever!

You can book a cabin for 3 and a cabin for 2...or a cutie that will hold 5, or 2 cabins for 2 and 1 cabin for 1.....singles pay the same as 2 would....because that's what the cabin costs....prices are based on DOUBLE occupancy! (It's called a single supplement).

You do not want to book a single cabin because the person who's in a cabin alone will pay a single supplement, which usually means you're paying for two people.

Just be aware that those short cruises are sometimes party till you puke cruises. People are trying to shove 7 days of cruising into three days of a cruise. Those short cruises don't give a complete picture of what a full cruise experience is all about.

All women......children......couples......elderly?????

For me it's all about the bathroom. I would prefer my own because I take my time to shower and makeup......when I want without a schedule to share with others. Some folks don't even see this as an issue because of just shower and go. Depends on the needs of everyone. Can't even imagine 1 bathroom for 5 women....some one could go overboard! :p