Grand Theft by Celebrity Employees Follow Up

Swank803

Several of us went through the suite several times and could not find a necklace. Still hoping it will show up, it wasn't hugely expensive. I asked my husband to help me take it off before I left for a massage. We haven't seen it since then.

I will post some thoughts of our 19 days on the Eclipse and those who want a less edited version can connect directly. Lol

At the airport now.

I sailed on the Noway many years ago

and they had a laundry deal on the last day,

When we returned to our room they had marked

all the items in indelible ink with our suite number

I still remember it SKY 493

Shirts were ruined , you could see the ink

By the way it was indelible,

went to guest relations at midnight

Their response was to report it when I got home.

Didn't think so ! Thanks to this board,

My ruined laundry which was brought to guest relations

Had a cost of over $500 they gave me $400

Ruined our cruise never asked Norwegian again

Exactly my point. I never would have posted this if Celebrity had satisfactorily handled this from the beginning. I'm still hoping that Celebrity will pull through and do the right thing but my confidence is waning since this is the second time they have forced me to go to the internet to get someone to talk to me.

Is that what it takes? I was assaulted by another passenger on the cruise before yours and the woman who assaulted me was allowed to remain on the cruise (I have photos of her taken the last full day as she walked by me, attempting intimidate me again) and this email received on 12/1 is the only response I have received to date:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your concerns and we apologize

for any inconvenience. We have forwarded your communication to the

appropriate team who will be contacting you within 3 business days.

Have a great day!

Kind regards,

Social Care Team

Celebrity Cruises

Several of us went through the suite several times and could not find a necklace. Still hoping it will show up, it wasn't hugely expensive. I asked my husband to help me take it off before I left for a massage. We haven't seen it since then.

I will post some thoughts of our 19 days on the Eclipse and those who want a less edited version can connect directly. Lol

At the airport now.

Having something stolen from your stateroom is REALLY disturbing! :(

I'm interested in reading your thoughts - please post a link here.

Glad it has all worked out for you, but if you had purchased travel insurance, I am surprised that you did not realise you were covered for items lost during your trip. There was no need for you to post on Facebook, join CC and start two new threads, consult several attorneys and contact NBC News! Next time, make it easy on yourself!:) Although I have to confess to a sneaking suspicion that you didn't want an easy solution and have secretly relished the drama of it all.;)

I happen to thank Swank803 for his posts as it brought to light that things can and do happen that most of us are unaware of. Without his posts, the entire matter would have been swept under Celebrity's carpet. In the many many posts on his threads folks have become aware and will be more conscious and careful of their belonging.

I think that your comment about him secretly relishing the drama of it all is an insult. He has been very open and even taken a lot of flack from posters but still responded and kept us informed of the ongoing issue.

I happen to thank Swank803 for his posts as it brought to light that things can and do happen that most of us are unaware of. Without his posts, the entire matter would have been swept under Celebrity's carpet. In the many many posts on his threads folks have become aware and will be more conscious and careful of their belonging.

I think that your comment about him secretly relishing the drama of it all is an insult. He has been very open and even taken a lot of flack from posters but still responded and kept us informed of the ongoing issue.

I agree that this is a good reminder of how careful we need to be. We often leave a laptop or iPad out to charge on the desk in our cabin. I don't always keep the jewelry I bring in the safe (although none of it is expensive, some of it has sentimental value). We will be on Eclipse in February and everything that has or looks like it has some value will be locked in the safe when we leave the cabin.

Whether someone has travel insurance or not, incidents such as this need to be brought to light. The theft should not have happened and Celebrity's handling of it could have been better. I, for one, am more informed about how to address this issue should I be so unfortunate to be in the OP's circumstance one day. Thank you OP and I wish you much more enjoyable future cruises.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

I happen to thank Swank803 for his posts as it brought to light that things can and do happen that most of us are unaware of. .

Actually, I think most people already realize that if you put valuables in a checked bag there is a risk. No one should steal, but we all know it happens and to think otherwise is to be very naive. It's the same reason airlines tell you not to put jewelry, electronics and other valuables in your checked bags.

Edited by waterbug123

Actually, I think most people already realize that if you put valuables in a checked bag there is a risk. No one should steal, but we all know it happens and to think otherwise is to be very naive. It's the same reason airlines tell you not to put jewelry, electronics and other valuables in your checked bags.

I am glad you are special and fully aware:)

I think the point is that this thread is over 180 posts long and the deleted thread was equally as long and that the discussions they have generated has made many people aware (or more aware) of potential problems...on a cruise ship.... Many of us have, perhaps a false, expectation of the ship security. Clearly the OP's incident has brought to light the false expectations and I, for one, am very glad he pursued the thread and kept us informed.

I am glad you are special and fully aware:)

I think the point is that...has made many people aware (or more aware) of potential problems...on a cruise ship.... Many of us have, perhaps a false, expectation of the ship security.

I'm not special, just not naive enough to think that if I put valuables in a checked bag anywhere (cruise, airline, hotel luggage storage, etc.) there is zero chance that something could happen. But, maybe there are more people with that naivete than I realized. If this thread helped them realize valuables can be stolen when they are out of your sight, well, then I guess that's a good thing. ;)

Edited by waterbug123

Thank you, Swank803, for reposting on this topic! I missed it the first time and it is important for cruisers to know what could happen to them also if valuables are left in checked bags. Also a good reminder to fellow cruisers about their security of valuables and how Celebrity might deal with them in similar circumstances! Hardly something that should be censored! Sorry about that! :)

I certainly hope everyone following along did learn the things you point out. Certainly a theft like this could occur on any cruiseline. What could vary from line to line is how the company handles the situation. Between this thread and my previous one that was deleted, I think I detailed my interaction with X employees pretty thoroughly, both the good and the bad. I'd like to add to your list some other things I hope people learn here:

4. Do not leave the ship without written confirmation from an officer their intention to either make you whole or how you can be made whole. They talk a good game on the ship but once you get home you are out of luck and on your own. Don't trust them when they say, "We want to do right by you."

5. If you don't get an acceptable response on board, take to social media for advice from others and/or to get the attention of the cruiseline. (My two reasons for originally posting here.)

6. Celebrity does not value your future business. They are willing to loose my in-laws and my family's future business over $350, which was less than 10% of what I spent on this cruise alone.

7. Keep receipts for everything. You'll need them if you intend to file a claim.

With that being said, I'm going to check out of the thread. Thanks to everyone for your advice. And to the few trolls that implied I was at fault for my items being stolen, well, I'm sorry that your life is so devoid of happiness that you feel you must bring others down to your level.

Wow! I can't believe how you've been treated by Celebrity. Their lack of compassion and resolution is disconcerting, to say the least! I'm so sorry for what you've gone through.

Having said that, you did say that your items were stolen during the pre-boarding screening. I didn't realize those people are employees of Celebrity. I thought they were employed by the Port. No?

Again, sorry for what you've been through, but Merry Christmas and I hope there will be many more happy cruises in your future.

Thank you, Swank803, for reposting on this topic! I missed it the first time and it is important for cruisers to know what could happen to them also if valuables are left in checked bags. Also a good reminder to fellow cruisers about their security of valuables and how Celebrity might deal with them in similar circumstances! Hardly something that should be censored! Sorry about that! :)

I always find it helpful to read the advice and information given by Celebrity. Their section about boarding the ship and dropping off your luggage includes the reminder "Remember to keep your valuables and fragile items with you". I took that to mean that you should not leave valuable items in your checked bags. Of course, everyone is free to ignore Celebrity's advice if they wish - but (while in no way condoning the theft) I don't think you can expect total sympathy and understanding from them if that's what you choose to do.

Edited by Suzy Smith

Wow! I can't believe how you've been treated by Celebrity. Their lack of compassion and resolution is disconcerting, to say the least! I'm so sorry for what you've gone through.

Having said that, you did say that your items were stolen during the pre-boarding screening. I didn't realize those people are employees of Celebrity. I thought they were employed by the Port. No?

Again, sorry for what you've been through, but Merry Christmas and I hope there will be many more happy cruises in your future.

Heard from other CC posters that this topic was scrubbed from Celeb FB along with the AQ class waterbottle complaints!

Edited by hcat

Once they're on the ship they're in the hands of Celebrity employees. Apparently this is where the theft happened if Celebrity employees were arrested and charged.

i always find it helpful to read the advice and information given by celebrity. Their section about boarding the ship and dropping off your luggage includes the reminder "remember to keep your valuables and fragile items with you". I took that to mean that you should not leave valuable items in your checked bags. Of course, everyone is free to ignore celebrity's advice if they wish - but (while in no way condoning the theft) i don't think you can expect total sympathy and understanding from them if that's what you choose to do.

a+++

I think that pre boarding screening is done by crew on the ship, after the bags are loaded. I believe that these are the people who are responsible for sending luggage to the naughty room after they find smuggled liquor.

I think that pre boarding screening is done by crew on the ship, after the bags are loaded. I believe that these are the people who are responsible for sending luggage to the naughty room after they find smuggled liquor.

My DH had a question we were not clear about, but maybe I missed it. Were the bags left with porters in the terminal (who were likely not Celebrity employees) or was the backpack given to someone on the ship. I ask because often if you board early and rooms are not ready they ask if you want to leave your carryons. You are on the ship at this point so some may feel it is safe, but we always take ours to the buffet/ lunch specifically because we are carrying our electronics and other valuables.

Edited by Jade13

Cpj,

I am not sure if you really do not know or just wanted to make a point. You might want to read the guidelines.

jade13,

It would appear the backpack was checked with the porter because the OP was tired of carrying it. I do not think it was mentioned, but I doubt that the backpack was checked on his flight.

The OP has already mentioned he realizes that checking his backpack was wrong and he will not Be repeating that mistake on any cruise line or plane. The complaint is about how Celebrity handled the situation on the ship and afterwards.

Was there ever another victim or even another passenger on the same cruise that reported this or contributed to the discussion?

I have not seen anything on this thread, or the one that just disappeared, although I did not read all the posts on that one before it was pulled. Does it make a difference?

Cpj,

I am not sure if you really do not know or just wanted to make a point. You might want to read the guidelines.

jade13,

It would appear the backpack was checked with the porter because the OP was tired of carrying it. I do not think it was mentioned, but I doubt that the backpack was checked on his flight.

The OP has already mentioned he realizes that checking his backpack was wrong and he will not Be repeating that mistake on any cruise line or plane. The complaint is about how Celebrity handled the situation on the ship and afterwards.

You mean how they found and returned three of his four items, offered him a set of Beats to replace his headphones, offered him a free specialty dinner and then took almost two whole weeks to get the final disposition of his problem. They should all be hung. If you've ever had anything stolen at home, it takes a lot longer than that to get it resolved.

Edited by Ma Bell