What's the next step from Carnival, Princess, etc.?

jasbo49

I'd be interested in trying a cruise line that's just a small bump over the mass lines like Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and HAL. Mostly I'd like the smaller ships that seem to come with the smaller cruise lines.

But every one I look at gives me sticker shock. Are there any of the smaller lines that aren't three or four times as much as the mass lines?

For example, I thought Azamara might be just a step above and found a 12-day RT out of San Diego to Mexico was $4,000 for a balcony. That's probably about three times what a Princess cruise would be.

Jim

Smaller ship less passengers so they need to charge more ;)

Plus look at what is included in the fares

some lines include drinks, special night ashore, airfare, specialty restaurants & other items that the main stream lines do not

See what works for you then make an informed decision

Maybe HAL's small ships would work Prinsendam, Zaandam

depends on how small of a ship you want

Take a look at Azamara or Oceania but at the same time price out a luxury line such as Crystal, Regent, Silversea or Seabourn. You might find that because some items are included in the cruise fare that the price jump is not as steep as you thought.

Keith

Honestly, sometimes these premium lines actually wind up costing less than the mainstream lines when you take into consideration included tours, wine, and everything else they give you. I found this to be especially true on river cruises. You might want to try one of those - they are awesome! We did Castles of the Rhine on the Uniworld SS Antoinette in a suite and came away with only a $300 balance on our onboard spending account. This was because wine was included with dinner and all the shore excursions (except 3) were included. The balance was the other shore excursions. Meanwhile, all our meals were paid for, the one we had "on your own" the ship actually gave us enough Euros to cover it before we left for the day. The tours were awesome, we had a concert one night from a local opera singer onboard, there were so many amazing aspects to this cruise, especially the day spent cruising the castles, which was magical! Really a great value! And the food onboard was the best I've experienced on any cruise and actually matched to the area in which we were cruising! I cannot recommend this type of experience enough.

Take a look at Azamara or Oceania but at the same time price out a luxury line such as Crystal, Regent, Silversea or Seabourn. You might find that because some items are included in the cruise fare that the price jump is not as steep as you thought.

Keith

Don't forget Sea Dream, the top rated luxury line.

What is it that you are most looking for when you want a small bump up? You may be able to find what you want by booking a higher category (e.g., suite) on some of the lines you already travel on. The suite experience is supposed to be very nice on NCL, and Celebrity now has a separate dining room for suite passengers.

On the other hand, if you are truly looking for a smaller ship with different ports, then you just have to keep an eye out for good deals -- trust me, they can be found.

These ships definitely CAN be several times more expensive than the mainstream lines, but you are paying for the smaller ship size, which often also includes a better space-per-passenger ratio and also more crew/staff per passenger. In addition, some of these lines include other things that you'd have to pay for on the mainstream lines. For example, gratuities are included on Azamara, I believe.

Even though OP said they wanted something "a bump" above Princess, and mentioned doing a small ship cruise ...... a consideration might be one of Princess' "Little Ladies" ( the Ocean and the Pacific).

Even though they are Princess ships, the cruise experience is quite different ..... with only 670 passengers, it's a more intimate setting. The ambiance of the ships is different too ... more of a classic style. The itineraries can be quite different from the larger ships because these ships can get into smaller ports. I've cruised on both of them, enjoyed them very much, and have a transatlantic booked for 2016 on the Pacific.

I'd be interested in trying a cruise line that's just a small bump over the mass lines like Carnival, Princess, Celebrity and HAL. Mostly I'd like the smaller ships that seem to come with the smaller cruise lines.

But every one I look at gives me sticker shock. Are there any of the smaller lines that aren't three or four times as much as the mass lines?

For example, I thought Azamara might be just a step above and found a 12-day RT out of San Diego to Mexico was $4,000 for a balcony. That's probably about three times what a Princess cruise would be.

Jim

Truth is, if you're looking for that smaller ship and you want it to be a step above the mass market lines, it is going to cost you. Take another look at Azamara. Also check out Oceania. Like SuiteTraveler said, don't get put off by the sticker shock. Many times, those prices are more inclusive than mass market lines...meaning drinks, gratuities, specialty restaurants, tours, etc might be included. When you do the math, it's usually not that much more expensive.

Jim

Interesting thread. I want good food and live music. I think that even the lower priced lines have options to upgrade food available in the set cruise fare so entertainment that appeals to us is what we look for along with itinerary. Spas hold zero interest to us but I would think that the premium lines would have better spas. What is important other than the ship being small? Perhaps upgrading to a suite on a larger ship would suit your needs.

Truth is, if you're looking for that smaller ship and you want it to be a step above the mass market lines, it is going to cost you. Take another look at Azamara. Also check out Oceania. Like SuiteTraveler said, don't get put off by the sticker shock. Many times, those prices are more inclusive than mass market lines...meaning drinks, gratuities, specialty restaurants, tours, etc might be included. When you do the math, it's usually not that much more expensive.

You need to compare "net daily rates" and not "cabin cost." Oceania's cabin price includes airfare. If you're headed to Europe or Polynesia from the US, that could be $2000+\- (and you can take a credit if you prefer to do your own arrangements). Price also includes specialty restaurants, beverages, etc. "O Life" benefits, currently at no extra charge (for summer 2016 cruises booked before the end of this month) , include free gratuities, internet and excursions. Basically, the only potential major extra expense is alcohol. Ships are R (670 passengers) or O (1200 passengers).

Food on O is considered by many travel magazines and other experts as the best at sea. And then there's what you don't get: art shows, photographers, thundering herds, amusement park amenities, nickel/diming, etc.

Finally, O's top producing TAs are well compensated. And it's not unusual for them to provide OBC from 7 to 10% of cabin cost.

Do the math. With the right itinerary and dates you will be surprised at how reasonable the cost is for the quantity and quality you get.

You need to compare "net daily rates" and not "cabin cost." Oceania's cabin price includes airfare. If you're headed to Europe or Polynesia from the US, that could be $2000+\- (and you can take a credit if you prefer to do your own arrangements). Price also includes specialty restaurants, beverages, etc. "O Life" benefits, currently at no extra charge (for summer 2016 cruises booked before the end of this month) , include free gratuities, internet and excursions. Basically, the only potential major extra expense is alcohol. Ships are R (670 passengers) or O (1200 passengers).

Food on O is considered by many travel magazines and other experts as the best at sea. And then there's what you don't get: art shows, photographers, thundering herds, amusement park amenities, nickel/diming, etc.

Finally, O's top producing TAs are well compensated. And it's not unusual for them to provide OBC from 7 to 10% of cabin cost.

Do the math. With the right itinerary and dates you will be surprised at how reasonable the cost is for the quantity and quality you get.

What's the evening entertainment like? Particularly interested in live music, dancing and variety show/comedienne type shows. Thanks :)

What's the evening entertainment like? Particularly interested in live music, dancing and variety show/comedienne type shows. Thanks :)

Taking into consideration the smaller size of the ships, don't expect Broadway wannabe musicals on Oceania. However, there is a singing/dancing performance troupe that does cabaret type musical revues and there are comedians, magicians etc. There is also a versatile show/ band and the ever-present multi venue string quartet. Dancing nightly is available.

IMO, many Oceania passengers have access to Broadway shows (in NYC or on the road) and have already seen Mama Mia, Cats, etc. So, not a priority while at sea.

Jim

the whole POINT of a step up line is to be more expensive because they offer so much more.

chief of which is a far more intimate experience. or included alcohol. or an all suite ship. or more included specialty dining options.

we considered our Celebrity cruise a significant step up from Royal, our usual line. for close the same price.

Taking into consideration the smaller size of the ships, don't expect Broadway wannabe musicals on Oceania. However, there is a singing/dancing performance troupe that does cabaret type musical revues and there are comedians, magicians etc. There is also a versatile show/ band and the ever-present multi venue string quartet. Dancing nightly is available.

IMO, many Oceania passengers have access to Broadway shows (in NYC or on the road) and have already seen Mama Mia, Cats, etc. So, not a priority while at sea.

Seems about what the mid-30's couple we met in port were saying. They loved the food but found the evenings too quiet and subdued. They were from NYC and had told their TA to book them on a relaxing cruise. They did say that this is what they got so the TA did her job.

Seems about what the mid-30's couple we met in port were saying. They loved the food but found the evenings too quiet and subdued. They were from NYC and had told their TA to book them on a relaxing cruise. They did say that this is what they got so the TA did her job.

The smaller ships I have been on do not lack for entertainment per se, but it may not be the kind of entertainment you're looking for.

I've attended great lectures by academics and authorities on the ports being visited on some of these ships. Also excellent quality classical music -- both musicians and singers -- that put a lot of the "shows" on the bigger ships to shame. There is usually dancing as well.

For me, one of the evening highlights is a leisurely dinner with excellent food and wine and enjoying conversation with other interesting and well-traveled people.

The glitz of the bigger ships is fine occasionally, but I can take it or leave it. I'm not a fan of Vegas. At the end of the day, I prefer the smaller ships for their itineraries first and foremost -- they are the bulk of my "entertainment".

The smaller ships I have been on do not lack for entertainment per se, but it may not be the kind of entertainment you're looking for.

I've attended great lectures by academics and authorities on the ports being visited on some of these ships. Also excellent quality classical music -- both musicians and singers -- that put a lot of the "shows" on the bigger ships to shame. There is usually dancing as well.

For me, one of the evening highlights is a leisurely dinner with excellent food and wine and enjoying conversation with other interesting and well-traveled people.

The glitz of the bigger ships is fine occasionally, but I can take it or leave it. I'm not a fan of Vegas. At the end of the day, I prefer the smaller ships for their itineraries first and foremost -- they are the bulk of my "entertainment".

I have never had any interest in either Vegas or classical music. My choices lie somewhere in between. Thanks for the input.