Just off Independence, items missing from suitcase!

auntiedodo

For the first time ever, our bag had stuff missing once we got home to empty it! We called Royal Caribbean immediately but we're just sent around and around to different phone numbers only to get sent back to the original customer service person who was no help at all. My husband had two of his five custom made Pinnacle shirts missing, one of our three rum cakes is missing, the jewelry case was unzipped and one necklace is missing, and the whole bag of change we keep for the toll roads is gone. Yes, I realize it was not wise to leave the jewelry bag in the suitcase, but I did! No recourse!

Why were valuables in a checked suitcase in the 1st place???? NEVER EVER put things of value into bags you will check. You should put jewelry, electronics, money, etc... in your carry on or purse. Never let it out of your control.

Lesson learned!

OP was not on a plane, this is about a bag left in the ship hallway.

I don't know what a Pinnacle shirt is. Most travel insurance policies have a limit on replacement coverage for jewelry. Your homeowner's policy may cover something, but it sounds as if the claim would be so small, might not be worth it.

I don't put my bags out; anyone could have taken these things.

I am sorry that this happened to you. Sometimes it is more frustrating than anything else to have your personal belongings go missing.

You mentioned in your post, "No recourse." I wonder, what recourse were you expecting?

I always lock our suitcases.

We have no choice but to put out our bags the night before. We tend to go on cruises around 21 days, have to fly, allow extra days both pre and post cruise. Thus we take 4 large suitcases and 2 carry-ons. With my having to use wheelchair assistance to get on and off the ships, there is no way my DH could handle all that luggage.

was your bag locked ??

We always lock our bags before putting them out in the hall I know it may not keep them safe from theft but it can slow down the thieves

With all respect, no lock ever kept a thief out of a suitcase and you don't need a lock if dealing with honest people.

There is no suitcase lock that is absolute. Sure it may slow a thief or might send them to a bag that is easier to raid. I use zip ties just to be sure the zipper doesn't accidently open. It provides the same security as a lock..... none.

With all respect, no lock ever kept a thief out of a suitcase and you don't need a lock if dealing with honest people.

There is no suitcase lock that is absolute. Sure it may slow a thief or might send them to a bag that is easier to raid. I use zip ties just to be sure the zipper doesn't accidently open. It provides the same security as a lock..... none.

Personal choice

A lock might not stop a thief, as much as discourage them, because if the thief is in a hurry, they will go to an unlocked suitcase first.

Never ever bought a luggage that has a zip.. those horror stories! Our luggage always had a code and two locks that are built in. And only with keys and a code number can you open the luggage. i feel its better than a zip one

And how does the suitcase close? Ours has coded built-in locks and a zipper. We put a strong band around for identification purposes in airports and to keep the 2 halves together if anything goes seriously wrong. It might also discourage thieves because it takes longer to open the cases.

It's entirely possible that the T shirts and rum cake got left behind. We all do it on occasion. Not so sure about the jewelry, but even that could have been left. The crew is really too busy to have time to dig through bags just to take T shirts and rum cake.

My guess is it was a fellow passenger not a crew member going through bags as they are left in the hall with nobody watching. That is one reason we try an put our bags out as close to the time it has to be out by rather than putting the bags out before we go to dinner.

My guess is it was a fellow passenger not a crew member going through bags as they are left in the hall with nobody watching. That is one reason we try an put our bags out as close to the time it has to be out by rather than putting the bags out before we go to dinner.

Well then they would be on the security cam...

Never ever bought a luggage that has a zip.. those horror stories! Our luggage always had a code and two locks that are built in. And only with keys and a code number can you open the luggage. i feel its better than a zip one

If you check that suitcase at a U.S. airport, you well could find the locks broken and the bag opened in order for TSA (airport security) to inspect contents of your bag if x-ray leads them to think there is something they wish to inspect. They also pick bags randomly to inspect.

I suspect other countries' airport security forces do similar.

And how does the suitcase close? Ours has coded built-in locks and a zipper. We put a strong band around for identification purposes in airports and to keep the 2 halves together if anything goes seriously wrong. It might also discourage thieves because it takes longer to open the cases.

Edit: I will post it once i get home. I'm having problems with the images

If you check that suitcase at a U.S. airport, you well could find the locks broken and the bag opened in order for TSA (airport security) to inspect contents of your bag if x-ray leads them to think there is something they wish to inspect. They also pick bags randomly to inspect.

I suspect other countries' airport security forces do similar.

Agreed. Though i don't really have a choice when the guidelines require me to use TSA locks. But i did picked this over those that have zips.

No luggage are safe from thieves. If there is a way, there will find their way in. Just hope that they stay away from your luggage and keep all valuables on hand.

Edited by WaveSplasher