When to tip on a B2B

sawtooth

If you leave the auto tip in place you do not need to worry about it. If you want to tip extra, ask your cabin steward if he/she will have your cabin for the next leg. Ask the Maitre 'D if you are going to have the same table. EM

If you leave the auto tip in place you do not need to worry about it. If you want to tip extra, ask your cabin steward if he/she will have your cabin for the next leg. Ask the Maitre 'D if you are going to have the same table. EM

Yes, we always leave the auto tip on.

We leave the auto tip in place and don't have to worry about it anymore. Now that Princess raised the daily rate it's quite enough. Princess already figured out what they want in the way of gratuities so you don't have to give it a second thought.

Edited by cruzsnooze

We left auto-tip on and we tip extra at the end of each leg.

For example - one time, we had the same table for the next leg of the cruise but all of the wait staff was re-arranged to accommodate a very large ethnic group onboard. So anyone who remotely spoke the language was re-assigned to one specific dining room and everyone else was re-assigned their times, dining rooms, etc..

Edited by Coral

We did not have to worry on our last b2b cruises. We switched cabins and switched from traditional to anytime dining. The first steward wasn't exceptional enough to get an extra tip and neither was our wait team. We had a great steward the second leg and gave him a little extra. We ate in specialty dining the second cruise (Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Crab Shack, and UBD) and tipped some of those servers extra as well.

If you want exceptional service on the second leg, be sure and fill out your "cards" and name the folks that a made a difference... The rankings they get from those cards are worth more than you generally will tip them. Its time off for many and on the wait staff it can mean the difference between a station where they have 5 empty tables or 10 full tables effectively doubling or more their income and share of the auto tips for the week. For the bar staff it can effect their shift times and of course as a result their tips.

Edited by TNTLAMB

We tip at the end of our trip. We have any time dinning and leave a small tip every night for the waiter. Also we make sure the cabin steward is not leaving and would tip him if he was going on time off.

If you want exceptional service on the second leg, be sure and fill out your "cards" and name the folks that a made a difference... The rankings they get from those cards are worth more than you generally will tip them. Its time off for many and on the wait staff it can mean the difference between a station where they have 5 empty tables or 10 full tables effectively doubling or more their income and share of the auto tips for the week. For the bar staff it can effect their shift times and of course as a result their tips.

I would expect exceptional service whether I fill out the cards or not. I do the cards at the end of the cruise just like the tip. I have never noticed any difference in service.

Wow, I know the cards are important but didn't realize to what extant.

This is an eye opener.

Not filling out a card should not effect the employee. Some people just can't be bothered. Filling out a negative review of their performance would definitely effect the employee.

Maybe it shouldn't but it does. Positive cards make a huge difference. They reviewed in team meetings. The wait staff are assigned for the next group based on this performance. Every member of the wait staff's share of the tip pool is based on the number "they served" They number they serve is based on those cards. With the housekeeping staff, its the same. High numbers of positive cards effects where their next contract is at, whether or not its renewed and the discretionary time off... Surley you have seen the line up of crew members lined up at the pay phones at ports, That's a privilege they have earned. Meantime the staff with fewer positive or "special cards is doing "scut work"

There is a difference between exceptional (the expected norm) service, and the service you get if you are bothered to fill out the card. It may be little things, but the let you know they appreciate it. Your bottle water may be in the fridge, your towls replaced quickly (maybe even towel animals,) you may get the upgraded amenities, an always full fruit bowl, more than two time a day service (at time I have sworn they are waiting around the corner watching to see if you leave) all in all it goes from great to unbelievable. While they may appreciate your 20.00 pre-tip. The cards can depending on the trip make a difference of hundreds of dollars and a longer call home (at a lot lower price.....) Everybody like to know they are appreciated. Treat them like a servent, and you get the minimum treatment.

Its not just B2B. Try putting a card the first day of the cruise if your room is made up to your preference card. The water there, your robes waiting etc. Beds in the right configuration etc. We always comment how nicely the room is made up (even if it is a bit short and he takes care of it right away.) You will be amazed at the rest of the cruise. Try the snob routine and it will spread like wildfire.

Edited by TNTLAMB

Maybe it shouldn't but it does. Positive cards make a huge difference. They reviewed in team meetings. The wait staff are assigned for the next group based on this performance. Every member of the wait staff's share of the tip pool is based on the number "they served" They number they serve is based on those cards. With the housekeeping staff, its the same. High numbers of positive cards effects where their next contract is at, whether or not its renewed and the discretionary time off... Surley you have seen the line up of crew members lined up at the pay phones at ports, That's a privilege they have earned. Meantime the staff with fewer positive or "special cards is doing "scut work"

There is a difference between exceptional (the expected norm) service, and the service you get if you are bothered to fill out the card. It may be little things, but the let you know they appreciate it. Your bottle water may be in the fridge, your towls replaced quickly (maybe even towel animals,) you may get the upgraded amenities, an always full fruit bowl, more than two time a day service (at time I have sworn they are waiting around the corner watching to see if you leave) all in all it goes from great to unbelievable. While they may appreciate your 20.00 pre-tip. The cards can depending on the trip make a difference of hundreds of dollars and a longer call home (at a lot lower price.....) Everybody like to know they are appreciated. Treat them like a servent, and you get the minimum treatment.

Its not just B2B. Try putting a card the first day of the cruise if your room is made up to your preference card. The water there, your robes waiting etc. Beds in the right configuration etc. We always comment how nicely the room is made up (even if it is a bit short and he takes care of it right away.) You will be amazed at the rest of the cruise. Try the snob routine and it will spread like wildfire.

I expect the same service without filling out the cards. Bribery was never something I subscribed to.

I expect the same service without filling out the cards. Bribery was never something I subscribed to.

You can expect it, but I assure you that those who treat the staff with some respect, reasonable manners and understand the difficult job while helping them get the respect and rewards for doing their job well they do get it. far from bribery its simple good manners. Fortunately its pretty easy to avoid your type on board. But their is always few.

I never bribe with a pre tip. They earn there tip by good service all week. I always fill out a comment card but a lot of people don't. This does not effect the employee at all. The cruise lines know some people would never fill out a comment card no matter how good the service. We have never had a problem with any staff not doing there job. You seem to think there going to not do there job if your not filling out the cards and tipping. That is just not true. If you believe that you don't to much of the staff.

The cards very much effect everything. Of course it may have changed in the last few years since I was involved but I doubt it. To u can read some here.

https://books.google.com/books?id=gZ3_28wi_UkC&pg=PA394&lpg=PA394&dq=princess+employees+comment+card&source=bl&ots=9SbF1xvWMX&sig=gc3897d1d1tD-lc_TvZg0Xg6Mow&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijx9Dct-TKAhVIzWMKHXw6CjUQ6AEIIDAA#v=onepage&q=princess%20employees%20comment%20card&f=false

There are entire Web sites by employees explaining it. What filling out the cards has to do with bribery and the rather laughable pre tipping thing I have no idea.

You can expect it, but I assure you that those who treat the staff with some respect, reasonable manners and understand the difficult job while helping them get the respect and rewards for doing their job well they do get it. far from bribery its simple good manners. Fortunately its pretty easy to avoid your type on board. But their is always few.

We have cruised a few times on Princess. I have never agreed with bribing Stewart. We get exemplary service which is rewarded after the fact.

Tipping is a personal thing. If you wish to present a bribe thats your prerogative. I will pass.