Cruise agent did not ask my permission

Momma Mojito

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?????

Like many of you, I am always checking many Cruise Agencies for the best fare. Well, yesterday I checked my Princess site and it showed that I had a cruise booked, which was only 7 weeks away. I immediately tried to call Princess but could not get through after being put on hold for over half an hour. Getting more and more frustrated I looked further into my Princess planner and then I saw the name of the cruise agency, that I had checked prices earlier yesterday. By this time, I was really upset thinking that I had a cruise booked. So I called the agency and wanted to know why this cruise was showing up on my planner. She said she had put a 24-hour hold on it, and may I say without even asking me. After getting off the phone with her, I called Princess and again after being on hold for quite some time I finally was able to talk to an agent, who assured me that it was removed. Well, just checked my Princess account and it's still showing that this cruise is booked.

NOW I WILL HAVE TO CALL PRINCESS, AND AGAIN BE PUT ON HOLD TO MAKE SURE THIS IS REMOVED!!! ALL BECAUSE OF AN CRUISE AGENT WHO DID NOT ASK MY PERMISSION TO DO THIS !!!!

My TAs always ask if I want them to put a hold the room when I ask for a quote. I usually decline because I want a specific room and if I'm asking multiple agencies for a quote, the other agencies would see the room as booked. Of course, this resolves itself in a day or so.

Now, this would be much more serious if the agency actually put through a charge on your card. This would be quite a violation for the agency to do so. You can be sure they did not by calling your card. If they did put through a charge without your specific permission, then you need a new TA.

Ironically - she did this to help you. For example, she gave you a quote. That price could go up 5 minutes later. If you had called back 5 minutes later to book it, the price may have been up and you would have been upset with her as she is not honoring the quote (maybe you wouldn't be upset but many people are).

So they put a 24 hour hold on it which expires in 24 hours. It is harmless. She did this so that if you called back, she could honor the price that she quoted you.

This is common. Most will say "I can hold this for 24 hours".

Honestly - this is not a big deal. It goes away if no money is put down on the cruise.

Ironically - she did this to help you. For example, she gave you a quote. That price could go up 5 minutes later. If you had called back 5 minutes later to book it, the price may have been up and you would have been upset with her as she is not honoring the quote (maybe you wouldn't be upset but many people are).

So they put a 24 hour hold on it which expires in 24 hours. It is harmless. She did this so that if you called back, she could honor the price that she quoted you.

This is common. Most will say "I can hold this for 24 hours".

Honestly - this is not a big deal. It goes away if no money is put down on the cruise.

But maybe for you this is not a big deal, but after I saw this and thinking there was a booking for me on this cruise it was for me and may I say I have never used this agency and never will.

But maybe for you this is not a big deal, but after I saw this and thinking there was a booking for me on this cruise it was for me and may I say I have never used this agency and never will.

Calm down..... Again, they did this so they could honor the quote they gave you. It expires quickly. There are things in this world worth getting worked up about. This is not one of them.

Have you checked your credit card to see if there was a charge? If there was no charge, what damage was done to you?

Calm down..... Again, they did this so they could honor the quote they gave you. It expires quickly. There are things in this world worth getting worked up about. This is not one of them.

Love this Coral! You're so right.

Yes, it happened to me.

I had already booked the cruise and the cabin that I wanted (online with Princess), then I contacted a couple of TAs to see what they could do for me. I told all of them that I already had a cabin booked and simply wanted pricing and benefits from them before I make a decision to switch to a TA.

One of the TAs put a 24 hour hold on a cabin. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out why I had 2 cabins booked on the same cruise.:confused:

I took that TA off my list and no longer contact her for quotes.

Well I can tell you that I'm happy as heck that my fantastic TA put that 24 hour hold on my upcoming Emerald sailing. By the next day when I went to the price of the sailing went up by a couple of hundred of dollars per person and had she not done that, I may not be leaving Saturday!

Edited by cjskids

They put a hold on so they can increase their stats and look good in the office. Doesn't feel honest to me, I would also be upset and not use that TA again. It may not cost me any money but I don't like being signed up for something I did not authorize.

Same here, I wanted to lock in a limited time promo, and with having a problem with my credit card could not complete the booking....thanks to the 24hr hold, I was able to resolve the problem without being totally stressed out!

Like others have said. It's nothing. The TA was doing you a favor to lock in the price they gave you. You'd be the one roaring if you called the next day to confirm booking and the price was higher.

There is no deposit on the cruise. It drops off after a day.

They put a hold on so they can increase their stats and look good in the office. Doesn't feel honest to me, I would also be upset and not use that TA again. It may not cost me any money but I don't like being signed up for something I did not authorize.

Ridiculous! Where did you ever get that idea?

This is not true - as it expires in 24 hours, it doesn't count for anything until there is a deposit.

Edited by Coral

standard operating procedure if you give them your cruise number. Happens all the time, nothing to get upset about it just drops off. It's the only way to protect the price they quoted you.

Edited by Cruise Junky

HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU?????

Like many of you, I am always checking many Cruise Agencies for the best fare. Well, yesterday I checked my Princess site and it showed that I had a cruise booked, which was only 7 weeks away. I immediately tried to call Princess but could not get through after being put on hold for over half an hour. Getting more and more frustrated I looked further into my Princess planner and then I saw the name of the cruise agency, that I had checked prices earlier yesterday. By this time, I was really upset thinking that I had a cruise booked. So I called the agency and wanted to know why this cruise was showing up on my planner. She said she had put a 24-hour hold on it, and may I say without even asking me. After getting off the phone with her, I called Princess and again after being on hold for quite some time I finally was able to talk to an agent, who assured me that it was removed. Well, just checked my Princess account and it's still showing that this cruise is booked.

NOW I WILL HAVE TO CALL PRINCESS, AND AGAIN BE PUT ON HOLD TO MAKE SURE THIS IS REMOVED!!! ALL BECAUSE OF AN CRUISE AGENT WHO DID NOT ASK MY PERMISSION TO DO THIS !!!!

It may not be a big deal to others, Momma, but I am with you! Besides worrying what the TA did, you have to waste time getting it straightened out so YO.U are comfortable!

It may not be a big deal to others, Momma, but I am with you! Besides worrying what the TA did, you have to waste time getting it straightened out so YO.U are comfortable!

TA locks in a price for 24 hrs and there is uproar. What time would you waste? The booking goes away by itself

Thank you for understanding my situation, unlike some that thought this was no big deal.

I'm confused. From your original post, it looks like you just checked prices online. Did you actually call the agency to check prices? EM

No, I did not talk to her, I was checking only online. and had never used this agency nor will I