Going down hill in quality

coastcashier

iew:

We ad 30 days at sea and no Bridge Director was available for 100 Bridge Players. No Cards, insufficient Hand Boxes, Old cards did not fit Boxes, No travellers or Scoring sheets. 100 Complaints to the Captain Circle Member were met with "find another cruise line" We took this complaint and comments to the Hotel Manager and Cruise Director who finally after many days flew a Bridge Director from Australia for the rest of the cruise. I asked for a commitment to a Bridge Director for the 89 day South America cruise and Princess would not commit. We have subsequently cancelled. Bridge players should all boycott this cruise line in protest of their attitude.

Excursions are a debacle. Passengers are allowed to book every excursion without payment thus clogging up the system and making all excursions as Sold Out. This was a ridiculous situation that excursion staff were not able to fix.

Ship maintenance is very poor. The carpet is up in many places causing numerous falls during the trip. The Hotel Manager refused to come with me so that I could show him dangerous areas. Ship health is poor with most of the ship coming down with a debilitating Cough.

Food quality has deteriorated. We both lost 2kg on this 46 day cruise.

Welcome to the world of cruise line cutbacks.

Princess is no different than their competitors....good luck finding something better.

I think that most Princess passengers would call a Bridge Director....Captain.:p

I think that most Princess passengers would call a Bridge Director....Captain.:p

Very likely so. :D

Not actually mocking the OP's opinions. Sometimes things posted are funny from a certain perspective.

Edited by ar1950

I don't even know what any of those bridge terms mean, and that's kinda why Princess no longer provides a bridge person. It's not exactly a thriving game anymore onboard. I have my fav pastimes that aren't popular, too, but I can't imagine complaining 100 times about it!! That poor crew member! I also find it very hard to believe that the officers replied in the harsh manner you stated. They're trained to be unfailingly polite. In any case, good luck finding a cruise line that caters to bridge players!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

iew:

We ad 30 days at sea and no Bridge Director was available for 100 Bridge Players. No Cards, insufficient Hand Boxes, Old cards did not fit Boxes, No travellers or Scoring sheets. 100 Complaints to the Captain Circle Member were met with "find another cruise line" We took this complaint and comments to the Hotel Manager and Cruise Director who finally after many days flew a Bridge Director from Australia for the rest of the cruise. I asked for a commitment to a Bridge Director for the 89 day South America cruise and Princess would not commit. We have subsequently cancelled. Bridge players should all boycott this cruise line in protest of their attitude.

Excursions are a debacle. Passengers are allowed to book every excursion without payment thus clogging up the system and making all excursions as Sold Out. This was a ridiculous situation that excursion staff were not able to fix.

Ship maintenance is very poor. The carpet is up in many places causing numerous falls during the trip. The Hotel Manager refused to come with me so that I could show him dangerous areas. Ship health is poor with most of the ship coming down with a debilitating Cough.

Hmmm no ship name. :( Excursions have been handled this way for many years. We find no issue.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

OP, you do realize that many, many cruisers do not play bridge, right? The ide that they flew someone on from Australia because you complained incessantly is kinda crazy.

As for your issues with allowing pre-booking excursions and "clogging them up", I actually appreciate that they allow pre-booking without paying up front.

Perhaps you should search for cruises for bridge enthusiast groups.

Coastcashier-

Lots of missing info. for your complaint for us on cc to be sympathetic.

what ship were you on? What happened to the passengers that you heard about or saw that fell on the carpet or flooring? Did they have to go to the medical center and was a report taken? Was this cruise set up to be a bridge cruise and they(Princess) told you that you would have a bridge director for your bridge games and all the equipment for your 100 people to play and then they didn't deliver ? Or delivered poorly?

Thanks, I see that you have only posted minimally on cc.

Yes people get sick on a cruise and cough. Sometimes they get the cough on board the ship or prior to coming on board ,so yes that's going to happen no matter where you go in the world .

The shore excursion reservation system works very well on princess in my opinion .I love that you can reserve excursions and not pay for them until you get on board. I've never canceled a princess tour and I'm sure it happens all the time and yes that would clog it up for those people that really want that particular excursion

I don't discount what happened to you ,but your post was very difficult to follow given the information .

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

Went and looked at all the items I have from my previous cruises. Not one piece of paper said anything about Princess having a Bridge Director on each cruise. There was a notice a few years ago that due to lack of participation no Bridge Director would be provided even if one was requested.

You would think out of 100 Bridge players one of them was qualified top be a Bridge Director and if there were that many players all the needed paperwork would be available.

Sounds like a good candidate for another cruise line and to do a lot more research before make reservations for the cruise. Sorry Charlie but you lose.

Princess has not had a bridge lecturer or organized duplicate bridge games for at least 2-3 years, maybe longer. I'm sorry you and a hundred (?) other people felt you were misled and are disappointed but minimal research would have ascertained that to be the case. I haven't seen anything referring to bridge other than passengers encouraged to organize their own games for years.

If you (and the other 99 passengers) booked through a TA and they guaranteed you bridge games then it's time to find a new TA. If you (and the 99 other passengers) booked directly with Princess, then you assume responsibility for researching and knowing what to expect.

iew:

There is always BINGO....grab you daubers!!! :D

On my last Princess cruise I won a brand new deck of Princess playing cards. They are lovely. Still in the package today.

Only posted this to point out that Princess does have new playing cards. Maybe you have to play a few games to get them. :D

On my last Princess cruise I won a brand new deck of Princess playing cards. They are lovely. Still in the package today.

Only posted this to point out that Princess does have new playing cards. Maybe you have to play a few games to get them. :D

Or head to the gift shop and spend a couple of $'s.....??? :eek:

100 Complaints to the Captain Circle Member were met with "find another cruise line" We took this complaint and comments to the Hotel Manager and Cruise Director who finally after many days flew a Bridge Director from Australia for the rest of the cruise.

That was the best advice I believe the CCM gave you. I would too if you complained to me 100 times about having a Bridge Director. This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of a Bridge Director to be on board to do what for 100 passengers who play Bridge? What if every group who boards demands a supervisor, priest, rabbi, on and on for special groups. It's gotta end some where.

Duplicate Bridge Players are more special. But I really truly thought the original review was a joke. My FIL was a Life Master organized a tournament on an Alaska cruise, They had a great time as I recall they used paper clips for boxes and old envelopes for travelers but did get a pdf printed in the computer center for the reconciliation sheet. Never heard him mention whether or not they had New Cards (thought that was a poker thing) He passed away at a big tourney last year. I'd love to ask him. Anyway the Aussies are a bit different. Apparently they can't play without an ABDA director. They could have just had a security guard with a taser to keep it civil. The ABDA actuall has a special certification for cruises

Edited by TNTLAMB

I was concerned this was going to be relevant. Now I just can't believe Princess went through the expense to fly out a bridge director for 100 people. That is service.

Oh, I preordered some new playing cards as a gift to myself on the upcoming cruise. Doubt I will ever use them, but seems fun. Only $4 or so too!

Wow! A bridge game can be hostile? I don't know how to play. I love to play spades, at least that does not require someone to direct you.:eek:

Spades, Gin Rummy, Pinochle, Canasta, or even Poker or 21. Not many card games require a director or a moderator. Why does Bridge need a director or moderator? Just got curious about that the more I read into the thread.

I would say that the OP was on a 46 day round trip cruise leaving from Perth and going over to South Africa and calling in at a few islands and maybe India on the way. I'm sure one of the three sisters (Dawn, Sea or Sun) recently came back from this cruise. Thus the many sea days and only a few port days.

If the carpet wasn't in tip top condition it could be because the ship is leaving the fleet soon and will be refitted for P&O Australia.

I would say that the OP was on a 46 day round trip cruise leaving from Perth and going over to South Africa and calling in at a few islands and maybe India on the way. I'm sure one of the three sisters (Dawn , Sea or Sun) (or the Ocean, possibly ?, my addition) recently came back from this cruise. Thus the many sea days and only a few port days.

If the carpet wasn't in tip top condition it could be because the ship is leaving the fleet soon and will be refitted for P&O Australia.

Not sure if this is the reason for what happened to the OP. Apparently the Dawn is gone come May, 2017 and the Ocean this month. Attribution here: https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

Edited by ar1950

Spades, Gin Rummy, Pinochle, Canasta, or even Poker or 21. Not many card games require a director or a moderator. Why does Bridge need a director or moderator? Just got curious about that the more I read into the thread.

I'm guessing that the OP is referring to Duplicate Bridge, which does require a "director", as well as specialized equipment to hold the cards (I think these are the "boxes" which the OP refers to), special scoring sheets and some other special equipment. Most of the equipment could certainly be improvised, but a trained director is a necessity. Duplicate Bridge is not just people sitting around dealing cards. You might try Googling to find more information.

I'm guessing that the OP is referring to Duplicate Bridge, which does require a "director", as well as specialized equipment to hold the cards (I think these are the "boxes" which the OP refers to), special scoring sheets and some other special equipment. Most of the equipment could certainly be improvised, but a trained director is a necessity. Duplicate Bridge is not just people sitting around dealing cards. You might try Googling to find more information.

I understand. Unfortunately for the OP, there have been several posts here on CC regarding the elimination of Bridge hosts as well as other hosts for other activities on Princess. A bit of research for the Bridge players may have prepared them for what was going to happen on their cruise in regards to the Bridge situation. Can't really comment on the condition of the ship (carpets) that were referred to in the original post. The OP didn't give the ship name, so who knows about that? :confused:

That was the best advice I believe the CCM gave you. I would too if you complained to me 100 times about having a Bridge Director. This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of a Bridge Director to be on board to do what for 100 passengers who play Bridge? What if every group who boards demands a supervisor, priest, rabbi, on and on for special groups. It's gotta end some where.

For years Princess had a bridge director on board and a number of bridge players would book cruises on Princess because of that. A bridge director is not just one of the bridge players on board. It is a person certified to be able to run tournaments and have points awarded to the winners. The person is also qualified to give tutorials in playing bridge.

But a couple of years ago, Princess said they would discontinue having a bridge director on board except for long voyages and it seems the OP was on a cruise that would qualify as a long cruise. This was a cost savings move, but the only cost to Princess was a free cruise. Princess would rather sell that cabin and hope they could fill the cabins that bridge players no longer would book.

You mention priests and rabbis. Princess also used to have these for major religious holidays. For example, there would be a priest at Christmas and at Easter and there would be a Rabbi for Rosh Hashanah, Yum Kippur and Passover. Again, the cost to Princess was a free cruise. Princess no longer does this. And there are people whose religious beliefs mean they will not cruise during a religious holiday period unless they can attend a service run by a qualified member of the clergy. A Cruise Director running an Easter service is no substitute.

Yes, 100 passengers is a small percentage of passengers on a Grand Class ship (3.8%), but it could be a significant percentage on the Ocean Princess size ship (14.5%). But if you start eliminating every activity or program that appeals to a small percentage of passengers. sooner or later you will have eliminated what brings 50% or more of the passengers on a cruise to Princess.

Do 25% or more of passengers take dance lessons on board? No. So why not eliminate that?

Do 25% or more of passengers participate in trivia? No, so why not eliminate that?

Do 25% or more of the passengers attend photography lectures? No, so why not eliminate that?

Keep eliminating what a large number of passengers do not participate in and you may end up only with the Captain's welcome speech and possibly Bingo as activities.

Edited by caribill