Flying In The Day Of The Cruise

Keith1010

Sorry to disagree Meg, but not every "chooses" to fly in the day of a cruise. As simple as you make it sound not everyone is able to take an extra day off work (ie, TEACHERS) in order to arrive early.

You're not getting it. Those who fly in the day of a cruise DO choose to do so and DO have a choice. Their choice is to book a different cruise, perhaps a 5 or 6 day cruise instead of a 7 or 8 day cruise. If taking the 7 or 8 day cruise is what's most important to them and they choose to go on that one even if it means flying in the same day, so be it, but it's still their choice to do so. They could just as easily choose a different cruise that allows them to fly in a day early.

You're not getting it. Those who fly in the day of a cruise DO choose to do so and DO have a choice. Their choice is to book a different cruise, perhaps a 5 or 6 day cruise instead of a 7 or 8 day cruise. If taking the 7 or 8 day cruise is what's most important to them and they choose to go on that one even if it means flying in the same day, so be it, but it's still their choice to do so. They could just as easily choose a different cruise that allows them to fly in a day early.

Let's just agree to disagree.

You make it seem like there is an infinite choice of dates and itineraries. There's not.

You make it seem like there is an infinite choice of dates and itineraries. There's not.

And some make it sound like there is no choice at all and someone is forcing them to pick a certain cruise that in turn, forces them to fly in the same day.

The choices are not infinite obviously, but there ARE a lot of cruises to choose from. And that's just it... everyone who books a cruise CHOOSES their particular cruise itinerary and their particular cruise date. Some posters makes it sound like people are literally forced to take a cruise that, for example, leaves on a Saturday and therefore HAVE to fly in the same day because they have to work on Friday. If they wanted to, they could choose a cruise that leaves on Sunday or Monday instead but for whatever reason they don't choose to do that. Maybe they like the Sat itinerary better, maybe that port is closer, maybe this, maybe that, but either way it's a choice they make. And choices tend to lead to trade-offs. Sometimes that trade-off means flying in the same day as the cruise, but it all goes back to a choice that was made to do one thing in order to get something else in return.

Is there a requirement that every thread in this subforum involve or end in a fight?

Just checking. I'm new to this subforum.

I agree.

I am almost sorry that I started this thread.

Thought it would be helpful to others.

In the end, which day to fly is a personal decision.

I did expect some might find a real life example on what could happen to be helpful and do believe some will but wish there was far less arguing.

Keith

Is there a requirement that every thread in this subforum involve or end in a fight?

Just checking. I'm new to this subforum.

Yup.

Didn't you read the "Terms and Conditions" for even reading here, before you faxed your signed, notarized acknowledgement and acceptance?

:D

We've been thinking of adding that Chase Sapphire card, just for the insurance perks, though there might be other perks of interest.

So this is VERY important information to know about.

And it seems rather strange, but if that's what their "terms" are, then that's what they are. (We'll read up a bit more, to check for other perks and/or gotchas, etc.)

Thank you for mentioning it.

I'd have assumed that a mechanical problem grounding/delaying a flight would have been covered, assuming one left "enough time" in the first place, etc.

Presumably, you'd have more options to switch flights with a mechanical delay/cancelled flight, as opposed to bad weather, which could shut down everything.

Presumably, you'd have more options to switch flights with a mechanical delay/cancelled flight, as opposed to bad weather, which could shut down everything.

True, but that assumes there are flight going (reasonably soon) to where *we* need to be AND that there are seats available.

Especially at popular travel times, that latter is questionable.

That would then be similar to weather delays, when there aren't other flights available... but the weather delays would be covered.

We'll probably stick with our regular travel insurance.

You know...there is even more to the question of "choice".

How about the choice to take some kind of vacation OTHER than a cruise? It's not like that's the only option one might have.

So, if you first choose to cruise, that is within your control. You can then pick from options ONCE YOU HAVE MADE THAT FIRST CHOICE.

Seems like a desire to have one's cake, eat it, put it away for a rainy day as well as renting it out.

You know...there is even more to the question of "choice".

How about the choice to take some kind of vacation OTHER than a cruise? It's not like that's the only option one might have.

So, if you first choose to cruise, that is within your control. You can then pick from options ONCE YOU HAVE MADE THAT FIRST CHOICE.

Seems like a desire to have one's cake, eat it, put it away for a rainy day as well as renting it out.

Thanks for enlightening us with your wisdom.

True, but that assumes there are flight going (reasonably soon) to where *we* need to be AND that there are seats available. Especially at popular travel times, that latter is questionable.

Yes, of course. And the situation is getting worse with the reduced departures and increased load factors of recent years. I can, however, speak from my own experience from lots and lots of business and vacation travel. The only times I've been stuck somewhere were due to weather. (Of course, on only a couple of situations was the particular *time* I arrived an issue.) Like the main question under discussion here, the decision to accept the risk exposure using only the credit card insurance should be made by weighing the costs and potential losses.

BTW, I do generally fly in the day (or several) before a cruise, though I have risked day-of several times - once when I was returning from a business trip the day before and once when we had family plans the day before. Of course, those two both had flights with mechanical issues. Managed with different flight routing in one case and, in the other case, buying another ticket on another airline late the night before (when there were only 3 seats left) because our original flight had already been alerted to have a long mechanical delay. Both fairly nerve-wracking. Both were conscious decisions, fully knowing the risk and with contingency plans laid out for catching up in the event we lost the gamble.

Edited by azevedan

I had to laugh at RickT's post above! We had an wine Offline (dinner) last weekend. One of our group is an elementary school teacher in the local school. The school is K-5 with 3 classes for each Grade so 18 teachers. Guess how many teachers showed up on the Friday before Spring Break versus how many were sick. Four regular teachers were there, the rest all Subs. She expected about the same for next Monday, the first day after Spring Break! She said a couple of the teachers had became mysteriously ill last Wednesday, but had foreseen their illness several days in advance and had already lined up their subs for the entire stretch of days!

A lot of districts have policies that prohibit the use of sick days at the beginning or end of break. My old district would dock your pay, and you ran the risk of being non-renewed.

Algebralover;

Sounds like a reasonable policy, however our State obviously doesn't have that rule. Also, I would guess that about 100% of those missing were tenured, so not getting renewed isn't a threat. In fact, in our elementary school I believe that 100% of the teachers are tenured, with the least senior teacher having 10+ years with the District. Of course, the number of senior tenured teachers is not consistent across the District in the varying schools.

Please excuse the source:

'I'm getting everyone's name here because you're all in s***!' Furious passenger throws profanity-laden tantrum (bringing her daughter to tears) over lengthy flight delay

-American Airlines passengers were in a rage over a 12-hour flight delay

-Video shows a mother berating staff and claiming passengers were lied to

-Police were called after angry passengers surrounded the gate agent

-American Airlines said the flight was delayed to due 'inclement weather'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3533981/American-Airlines-passenger-suffers-meltdown-LaGuardia-Airport-gate.html

As it sounds like she missed a Disney Cruise I'd say AA were doing her a favour! :D

"The woman, who was in a rage, shouts: ‘I could have driven there in the four hours I have been waiting here."

LGA-MIA in four hours? What does she drive? I want one :)

I was thinking she was a very slow driver and was talking about getting to PHL in 4hrs. Obviously she doesn't fly much because it doesn't work like that....you can't just meet your plane at wherever it diverted to! :rolleyes:

I afraid that even with all of theses real world examples there are always going to be those people who will not heed this warning and continue to fly in the day of the cruise. and then try to find someone or some institution to blame later..

Hi,I guess we were lucky when we flew London-Hong Kong-Auckland in 27 hrs on a Princess arranged flight and landing on time 6hrs before sailaway.I think this was a good gamble for Princess as the next port was only 200 miles down the road,cheers,Brian.

Hi,I guess we were lucky when we flew London-Hong Kong-Auckland in 27 hrs on a Princess arranged flight and landing on time 6hrs before sailaway.I think this was a good gamble for Princess as the next port was only 200 miles down the road,cheers,Brian.

As a matter of interest [we are thinking of a similar cruise] how did you feel after the 27 hours?

Did Princess give you a chance of breaking the flight in Honkers on the way?

Not sure why you would want to fly 27 hours, then run on to the ship. Means the first couple of days on the ship you are totally jet lagged...

Not to mention flying that long and far to arrive on day of sailing.

Edited by CruiserBruce