Why doesn't Celebrity refund taxes/fees that go down before final payment?

Go-Bucks!

My TA called Celebrity to request that I get a decreased charge for taxes/fees for an upcoming cruise but they said "no."

I'm being charged $285.08 for what the fees were listed when I booked (in Nov., 2014), but now the fees being charged for this cruise are $192.21. That's a $92.87 difference!! No chicken feed. I have not made final payment yet so I can't imagine why I need to pay more money than Celebrity will have to pay the countries we visit??

Princess always lowers the payment of taxes/fees when a port lowers them. Is Celebrity keeping all the extra fees that they won't have to pay the ports?? What a scam if they are!

Anyone else know why Celebrity won't lower them? :confused:

Ask your TA to put in a refund request.

We had a drop in taxes/fees after the final payment. The credit appeared on our account as an OBC

She said Celebrity told her "no" to any refund, either now or onboard. She said this is the policy of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. If so, it's wrong. :(

My TA called Celebrity to request that I get a decreased charge for taxes/fees for an upcoming cruise but they said "no."

I'm being charged $285.08 for what the fees were listed when I booked (in Nov., 2014), but now the fees being charged for this cruise are $192.21. That's a $92.87 difference!! No chicken feed. I have not made final payment yet so I can't imagine why I need to pay more money than Celebrity will have to pay the countries we visit??

Princess always lowers the payment of taxes/fees when a port lowers them. Is Celebrity keeping all the extra fees that they won't have to pay the ports?? What a scam if they are!

You normally get the reduction when you are on th cruise not before.

Because they might change again. If the fees, etc. total less than you paid, they will refund it onboard. EM

Yes, we have received onboard credit when port taxes/fees went down.

It just showed up on our onboard account one day.

She said Celebrity told her "no" to any refund, either now or onboard. She said this is the policy of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. If so, it's wrong. :(

I asked my TA about this when the listed T/F were lower at final payment, and she told me the same thing others have said here. A few days later the listed T/F went back up to the original price -- so I would just have had to make a further "final payment." [i was more worried that the website was reflecting a missed port -- we are scheduled for Kusadasi -- and I would much rather pay the extra than lose Ephesus!]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I called Celebrity about this when I saw that our taxes/port charges dropped for our upcoming cruise. No - they can't adjust them at this time and they said I have to request them to be refunded when I'm on the cruise. I would have hoped that they would have adjusted them automatically once we are on board instead of me having to stand in line and ask. Anyway, this is what the Celebrity rep told me. Is this right? I have to request them...it doesn't happen automatically once we're on the cruise?

Edited by mickeysgal

I called Celebrity about this when I saw that our taxes/port charges dropped for our upcoming cruise. No - they can't adjust them at this time and they said I have to request them to be refunded when I'm on the cruise. I would have hoped that they would have adjusted them automatically once we are on board instead of me having to stand in line and ask. Anyway, this is what the Celebrity rep told me. Is this right? I have to request them...it doesn't happen automatically once we're on the cruise?

I have never had to request the refund. When the port fess/taxes have been lower the difference showed up as OBC. By the way, if the port fees/taxes go up you aren't charged the extra.

You can always cancel and rebook if it is a real sore point for you since it is before final payment...

Whatever will you do when the pricing goes down a few days after final payment?

Like others have stated, you may get OBC after it is all done and said.

bon voyage

Above posters are correct. They will not refund in advance of the cruise as it ma change yet again and would just cause horrible bookkeeping adjustments to be made. On any of our cruises where the fees/taxes went down, we were always credited the difference in amount on our OBC account after the cruise began. Enjoy your cruise

• 4 weeks later...

If the charges are over you should get credited, if charges are under you should pay more.

I am sure it is regulated some how, and your TA could get you some OBC to make up the losses.

Do you think food went up in price, that they did not charge you extra.do you think fuel gone up, they did not charge you.

Yes. I agree that you should have your price adjusted. Why not rebook? Perhaps, the fare has gone up since you booked. If it has gone down, rebook. Don't think that you will get a refund for port charges. I just went to Bermuda on the Summit. We were supposed to be in Bermuda for 3 full days. They cut off the last day because of a storm warning. You would figure that you would get back port charges. I paid over $200pp in port charges for 3 day stay in Bermuda. I got nothing until I called my TA today who contacted Celebrity. I was told that a refund of about $15pp would be credited. I can't imagine how they did the math.