Does Princess Have any plans for Port Canaveral?

stefs111

Very doubtful they would. Always follow the money. Flying into Orlando from most of the country is not as convenient as flying into FLL or MIA, adding time and expense not to mention the additional cost of getting from Orlando to Cape Canaveral. Anything that adds a cost to cruising depresses bookings. Princess sails from where it can easily fill ships and get more money per passenger.

It would be interesting to see the statistics as to those who drive to the ports vs. those who fly to the ports. Not just Princess ports, but all U.S. ports. With the airlines making flying ever so much more uncomfortable, I find more people willing to drive to some of these ports anyway.

As recently as Spring 2011 Princess had seven ships based at Port Everglades (for both Caribbean and Panama Canal) plus one in San Juan and Sea Princess sailing round-trip Barbados. The next two seasons will have six ships total for the entire region but with the larger Royal and Regal now in the fleet the number of berths can be nearly the same but with fewer ships doing fewer turnarounds. Moving any spare capacity to a different turnaround port in the same general region is counter to that trend. As would be the assumption that Princess' departure from Houston implies they are looking to do so.

Edited by fishywood

Very doubtful they would. Always follow the money. Flying into Orlando from most of the country is not as convenient as flying into FLL or MIA, adding time and expense not to mention the additional cost of getting from Orlando to Cape Canaveral. Anything that adds a cost to cruising depresses bookings. Princess sails from where it can easily fill ships and get more money per passenger.

I must respectfully disagree. Everybody flies into Orlando. The trip from MCO to Port Canaveral is 50 minutes tops with your choice of shuttle, rental car or hired transport at minimal cost. The only thing I can think of that "might" be a deterrent is the size of the port's facilities. But having said that, Disney, RCCL, and Carnival seem to not have a problem.

Edited by Aloha 1

Does Princess know there is a demand for what you wish?

There is another thread currently running on CC telling about a petition that was circulated some time ago about an Alaska sailing from Los Angeles. Now there is one new itinerary in 2018 that does just that. 12 nights, LA to Alaska round trip.

A coincidence? Maybe. And Princess does have an established position in the LA cruise port where it doesn't along the US east coast.

Still, if the wheel doesn't squeak it gets no grease.

Does Princess know there is a demand for what you wish?

There is another thread currently running on CC telling about a petition that was circulated some time ago about an Alaska sailing from Los Angeles. Now there is one new itinerary in 2018 that does just that. 12 nights, LA to Alaska round trip.

A coincidence? Maybe. And Princess does have an established position in the LA cruise port where it doesn't along the US east coast.

Still, if the wheel doesn't squeak it gets no grease.

What will the itinerary be? What stops other than those in Alaska? Hope they won't drop San Francisco and just have it as a port stop.

Edited by iceleven

Flights for us are typically more expensive into Miami. Ft. Lauderdale is cheaper to the point that we typically fly to FLL when taking a cruise out of Miami.

The cost savings of flying into Orlando most of the time would offset the cost of added transportation to Port Canaveral at least for us.

Take care,

Vinnie

I must respectfully disagree. Everybody flies into Orlando. The trip from MCO to Port Canaveral is 50 minutes tops with your choice of shuttle, rental car or hired transport at minimal cost. The only thing I can think of that "might" be a deterrent is the size of the port's facilities. But having said that, Disney, RCCL, and Carnival seem to not have a problem.

I think the issue is that Princess has chosen a more international ship deployment strategy. Even after pulling a ship out of Texas, there are only four Princess ships in the Caribbean for 2017-18 and one of those (the Caribbean Princess) is basically a third Panama Canal ship using the new locks. I could see them eventually redeploying at least one of their traditional Panama Canal ships (Island and Coral) somewhere else, but it is just as likely to be to another international market as Port Canaveral.

Disney is in Port Canaveral because of its proximity to Orlando. RCCL and Carnival are there because they have enough ships to cover it as well as south Florida. Princess isn't in either situation.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

We would like to see what Princess would do if they operated a ship out of Port Canaveral. There are possible stops in Bermuda, Nassau, Princess Cays, DR, Tortola, etc. that currently aren't being offered except for PC. For us living in Florida it would be a nice alternative to sail out of a smaller port with a different itinerary and still within a two hour drive time.

• Like 1

Though it would add some variety, I wouldn't want it. When I researched hotels there for a post-cruise stay, every single nice hotel I found was on the bedbug registry as having had them at some point. I know some will argue all hotels have had them at some point, but I still find ones without hits on the registry in Ft. Lauderdale. Plus, the whole cruise culture of Ft. Lauderdale is so fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app