Global Entry & TSA Pre✓

Cruiseoholic000

I was just checking another thread on this subject and people who applied the same time as DH and I have received their initial approval already and scheduled their interviews. There's nothing in our pasts (or present!) that should raise any red flags (lol); I'm wondering why we are still in "pending review". :confused:

Stop fretting...it seems every bugger and their brother has figured out GE and it's taking a while to process the influx of applications.

Or just do as I did, I had a 3hr drive to the nearest GE office, so I timed it with a flight connecting through an airport with a GE office and did it there a couple of weeks later.

Helps to think outside the box on some of these things.

It wasn't worth it to me to drive the extra distance. Now that I've thought about it more, it seems that driving four hours to get a pass that would ease my travel once (I'm not a global traveler, going on my first-ever European trip in August) really wouldn't be worth the bother.

Why drive four hours to save an hour or two max at the airport once?

Everyone has to weigh what works best for them and their lifestyle. 99% of my flights are domestic. I'm boring that way.

Edited by njsmom

Found out in Dallas airport that nothing guarantees that you will have "PRE-CHR=ECK" on our boarding pass. And, unless it is on the brooding pass your cannot use the TSA PRE-check even with a GOES card in hand.

The agent supervisor told me it you will likely get the pre-check on the boarding pass only 80% to 90% of the time.

So be warned that Global Entry does not guarantee you will use the pre-check lines.

So be warned that Global Entry does not guarantee you will use the pre-check lines.

That is correct. Pre-Check eligible pax and not guaranteed to actually be able to use the Pre line every single time. There's a certain amount of randomness built into the system, so every once in a while you may be denied, even though you paid for and were approved for Pre and/or GE.

That said, my success rate is nearly 100%. I only recalled being denied Pre maybe once in the 4 or 5 years I've had GE. On average I fly 2-4 times/month.

Friday May 27th, DH completed his application in the late afternoon, followed by me 30 minutes later.

He got his conditional approval letter under 2 hours ago. First available date in Cleveland was 9/22, but he was able to schedule in Port Clinton OH as soon as Sunday 7/17! He opted for Monday the 18th.

Mine is still pending. I passed the FBI/CBI check just one month ago, so hopefully my approval will come through in time for our pre-cruise flight out of JFK!

Friday May 27th, DH completed his application in the late afternoon, followed by me 30 minutes later.

He got his conditional approval letter under 2 hours ago. First available date in Cleveland was 9/22, but he was able to schedule in Port Clinton OH as soon as Sunday 7/17! He opted for Monday the 18th.

Mine is still pending. I passed the FBI/CBI check just one month ago, so hopefully my approval will come through in time for our pre-cruise flight out of JFK!

Good luck, Barb..Global Entry is awesome-far better than just TSA outbound-- it will pay for itself with time savings clearing customs inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my conditional approval when I opened my email this a.m. There is a difference in numbering our application IDs of 200+ which I take it to mean that there were that many more applicants from the time DH completed his and I completed mine.

Could not make an appointment on the same day as DH so we are now both going to Port Clinton a few days later and are scheduled at the same time!

We should be good to go for our end of July flight to Berlin!

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking into Global Entry & TSA Pre✓. Global Entry is international and TSA Pre✓ is just for the USA. There is a $15 difference in the two. If I get Global Entry can I use it at any TSA Pre✓, especially RSW,HNL and BDL? Is it worth it? My flight is many months away but with the lines as they are I thought it might be good to start thinking about this.

Keith1010 has answered much of this, but let me add...

1. Just had my GOES interview today. Roughly two months from application to final approval. Could have been quicker, there were earlier interview slots that just didn't fit our schedule. The interview was brief, no big deal.

2. The GOES card does not necessarily take you through a TSA pre check line. Instead, the GOES card gives you a "trusted traveler" number. You put that number into your airline website along with other information when doing a reservation, the printed ticket shows "Precheck", and that is what puts you into the shorter line.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to give a timing update on this if anyone is interested.

Our family of four applied on 1/10/17. Three of us got conditional approval on 1/16/17 and the fourth on 1/20/17.

The soonest appointment was 4/7/17 at the closest location, but we got three appointments on 2/23/17 at one about 1.5 hours away.

By the time we got the last conditional approval, there were no more 2/23 slots available. I called and left a message asking if the fourth could be a tag-along with the other three. The next day, I got a return message that yes, all of us would be accommodated at the same appointment.

Looking forward to having this for our Spring Break travel.

And yes, I agree that application was a pain! Especially when there was one person (me!) filling it out four times.

It is now three times in a row that I was not given PRE Check on boarding pass and I have Global Entry.

Anyone know who I can call about this?

I know Pre Check is not a guarantee but it is now ridicules.

This happened to us as well. Turns out, all reservations I made before receiving my Global Entry number/card, did not show in the system. With Southwest, if you notice that you didn't get Pre-check after checking in, you can call them and they will add it and you can reprint your pass.

The airline is the one who generates your Pre-check boarding pass -- so call them to see if they have the info.

Reservations made after I received my number are fine. Make sure you've added your number with every airline account that you have.

Good Luck!

Kel:)

It is now three times in a row that I was not given PRE Check on boarding pass and I have Global Entry.

Do you add your Trusted Traveler number on your reservations?

After I completed the GOES interview, the TSA agent went over the details of having this card. First, upon receiving it, [we got both 3 days after the interview] go back in and activate the card. Then go into existing air reservations and enter the trusted traveler numbers. If you cannot find a place to enter this information, then call the airlines.

The agent also reminded me that my driver's license expires this year, and once I receive a new one, I will need to update my personal information. The same applies to anyone who receives a new passport.

I was able to enter our GOES numbers into Jet Blue that was booked before I got the card, but could not do this with another airline, BA, so I called and it was taken care of.

Guess we were lucky to have a nice TSA agent who was willing to explain how to use the kiosks upon re-entry to the US - friends went through the interview process and were never given any direction.

Darcy

After I completed the GOES interview, the TSA agent went over the details of having this card. First, upon receiving it, [we got both 3 days after the interview] go back in and activate the card. Then go into existing air reservations and enter the trusted traveler numbers. If you cannot find a place to enter this information, then call the airlines.

The agent also reminded me that my driver's license expires this year, and once I receive a new one, I will need to update my personal information. The same applies to anyone who receives a new passport.

I was able to enter our GOES numbers into Jet Blue that was booked before I got the card, but could not do this with another airline, BA, so I called and it was taken care of.

Guess we were lucky to have a nice TSA agent who was willing to explain how to use the kiosks upon re-entry to the US - friends went through the interview process and were never given any direction.

Darcy

Thanks...did not know about the DL update requirement and probably would have missed updating a new passport expiration date in the system.

Thanks...did not know about the DL update requirement and probably would have missed updating a new passport expiration date in the system.

Not sure what a DL has to do with it. Many don't even have one. The passport # is the one tied to Pre and Global Entry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure what a DL has to do with it. Many don't even have one. The passport # is the one tied to Pre and Global Entry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My DL is expiring this year ....so what is the true story?? Not worried about my passport, since I just had to get that renewed prior to GE. I do seem to recall putting in DL info on the GE application.

My DL is expiring this year ....so what is the true story?? Not worried about my passport, since I just had to get that renewed prior to GE. I do seem to recall putting in DL info on the GE application.

It's just another piece of identity. Yes, the DL info is part of the application process and when I went in for the interview, the TSA agent requested I show him both; the DL verifies the home address as indicated on the application and a place to mail the GOES ID card, and of course the passport speaks for itself.

We didn't have any issues entering our MA DL numbers and wondered how those who don't have one provide this secondary form of ID - maybe more scrutiny....who knows?

Some people may fly domestic with only a DL and use the GOES card for the pre-check process, thus no need for carrying the passport.

Interesting....While we were waiting some 6 months between application and the interview, DH needed to renew his passport for run upcoming overseas trip. He went into the interview with both the new and "old" passport. The TSA agent told him that the new passport number was in the system, but when he activated the GOES card, he must enter the new validation dates.

Darcy

It's just another piece of identity. Yes, the DL info is part of the application process and when I went in for the interview, the TSA agent requested I show him both; the DL verifies the home address as indicated on the application and a place to mail the GOES ID card, and of course the passport speaks for itself.

We didn't have any issues entering our MA DL numbers and wondered how those who don't have one provide this secondary form of ID - maybe more scrutiny....who knows?

Some people may fly domestic with only a DL and use the GOES card for the pre-check process, thus no need for carrying the passport.

Interesting....While we were waiting some 6 months between application and the interview, DH needed to renew his passport for run upcoming overseas trip. He went into the interview with both the new and "old" passport. The TSA agent told him that the new passport number was in the system, but when he activated the GOES card, he must enter the new validation dates.

Darcy

A lot of people don't have a DL and use other forms of ID. State issued ID's, military ID, etc. As far as verifying address, a recent bank statement or utility biill, a deed, a mortgage document, a recent student transcript with an address on it, there are plenty of ways of doing this without needing a DL.

There is no one to call. You just hit an unlucky streak, especially if you actually did enter your TT number into each reservation.

There never was a guarantee of PreCheck access every time you fly.

• 2 months later...
There is no one to call. You just hit an unlucky streak, especially if you actually did enter your TT number into each reservation.

There never was a guarantee of PreCheck access every time you fly.

My GOES approval letter from November 2016 states that TSA Pre-Check is a benefit included with the GOES program. Your Known Traveler Number is used to qualify you for Pre-Check when you book domestic airfares.

I used the GOES kiosk at LAX on 4/15/17, and it was wonderful! We arrived from London at 7:30pm, and my friend had a Southwest flight at 9:25pm. We went through the kiosk in about 3 minutes. The fingerprint reader wasn't working properly, and now I know to clean the plate off before using it. It must have been smudged from other people using it. Ick!!

Anyway, there were several hundred people lined up to go through Customs, and we were out the door in another 5 minutes. My husband drove us over to Terminal 1, and she was in the door there by 8:30pm.

My GOES approval letter from November 2016 states that TSA Pre-Check is a benefit included with the GOES program. Your Known Traveler Number is used to qualify you for Pre-Check when you book domestic airfares.

A couple of points:

1) The Pre-Check "benefit" is merely that you qualify for it. However, there is NO guarantee. At any time, you may be randomly (or otherwise) denied Pre-Check and have to go through regular security screening.

2) There is no GOES kiosk or GOES program. The program you are enrolled in is Global Entry. GOES is the acronym for "Global Online Enrollment System". That is only used for the initial application or for any changes in your status or personal information (such as passport number change).

3) It is not merely for domestic travel. There are a number of international carriers that are part of the Pre-Check program, including AeroMexico, AirCanada, Etihad, Lufthansa and WestJet.

Other than that.....