Global Entry & TSA Pre✓

Cruiseoholic000

Weird. I've taken maybe 200 flights since I got Pre and not once have I not had it on my BP, and not once have I been required to go through the full scan (unless it's a not fully Pre airport and there's just "expedited screening")

In 3 years, I think I've had it happen twice. About the same number of flights

Weird. I've taken maybe 200 flights since I got Pre and not once have I not had it on my BP

It's really not weird at all. As stated, the system is designed to randomly not allow pax who have Pre to go through Pre. If it has never happened to you, be happy. I've taken somewhere between 200-300 flights since having it and have only been flagged once as I recall, but it's always a possibility.

Assuming you can do this, but I just wanted to make sure.

I already have 4 flights booked- PIT to FLL, FLL to PIT, PIT to SJU and SJU to PIT and soon booking more flights.

I plan on applying for TSA precheck this weekend. Once approved (assuming) can I call the airlines and add the KTN to my existing flights without hassle?

Each airline handle this differently but in any case if you call them they can add it for you.

With some airlines if you just add it to your profile it will automatically populate your existing bookings while with some it won't thus I would call the airline.

Keith

Great - thanks all! Yes, I looked up the reservations online and saw they have an area to add it! I have to give JB and SW a call. For some reason I remember being in a rush booking these and forgot to include my middle name. I'm gonna call and have them add it to the ticket so it matches my profile and my TSA pre check info.

When you say SW do you mean Southwest Airlines?

My experience and that of my son's is we needed them to add the Pre TSA for us for bookings made before we got the feature.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

DH and I applied last night. What a lengthy process! Entering all countries visited in the last 5 years was both a pain, since the drop down jumped back to the beginning of the list very time a country was entered, but also a blessing to recall how very many countries we have been to in that timie span.

The other time-consuming part for me was entering my employers over the last 5 years. I'm officially retired but have worked part time for 3 agencies so had to look up addresses and phone #s for those.

We have two interview locations within 45 minutes of us, so hopefully we can get scheduled and approved prior to the end of July.

Application was approved in about a month. It is the interview that is taking months. I just looked and Boston has slots open in Jan 2017 and Providence in Dec 2016. We booked our July interviews in January!

That being said, we know this will be worth the wait.

I assume you mean the Boston does not have any GE interview appointments available until January 2007. 7 months away. That is really hard to even imagine. Are you sure there are not any appointments available before January 2017? More demand I guess.

An advantage of living between Chicago and Milwaukee the appointment availability was practicularly immediate.

I assume you mean the Boston does not have any GE interview appointments available until January 2007. 7 months away. That is really hard to even imagine. Are you sure there are not any appointments available before January 2017? More demand I guess.

Unfortunately, this is correct. I got my approval back in March, and the earliest I was able to schedule my interview appointment in Boston was early September.

I've tried the trick of logging in to check for cancellations, and have seen earlier slots come open a couple of times, but nothing that worked for me. Luckily there's not much urgency for me since I'm not traveling internationally until next year...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, this is correct. I got my approval back in March, and the earliest I was able to schedule my interview appointment in Boston was early September.

I've tried the trick of logging in to check for cancellations, and have seen earlier slots come open a couple of times, but nothing that worked for me. Luckily there's not much urgency for me since I'm not traveling internationally until next year...

Look for any openings at a location in the surrounding area outside of Boston and Providence. Make a day trip. There is a location in Vermont:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office

107 Route 91 South

Derby Line, VT 05830

I saw one in Rhode Island that wasn't Providence, it is in Warwick - is that the same?

I had a choice of either flying or driving to Las Vegas or Los Angeles for mine back when I got it 4 years ago for the closest area to me - that meant either a 1-2 hour flight or 6-13 hours of driving. So far, it has been worth it!

DH and I applied last night. What a lengthy process! Entering all countries visited in the last 5 years was both a pain, since the drop down jumped back to the beginning of the list very time a country was entered, but also a blessing to recall how very many countries we have been to in that timie span.

The other time-consuming part for me was entering my employers over the last 5 years. I'm officially retired but have worked part time for 3 agencies so had to look up addresses and phone #s for those.

We have two interview locations within 45 minutes of us, so hopefully we can get scheduled and approved prior to the end of July.

My friends... Holly and I did this 2 years ago. $100 every five years + a U.S. Customs interview- easy day. Lengthy, eh...

We LOVE G.O.E.S.; cleared 6 & 8 mins each, SEA/LAX from AMS/LHR. You will love it the first time it is used.

Hope yours gets done soon. See ya in 69 days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend just got Global Entry and from application to interview/approval was 5 weeks, this was in the NYC area.

I can't believe any wouldn't sign up for GE but as a personal beef I think you should need to demonstrate in some form that you are a reasonably regular traveller to be eligible to avoid gumming up the lines. When I signed up for IRIS (the UK's nearest equivalent to GE) back in the mid 2000s the guy I spoke with wanted to see some evidence about my travel patterns. Luckily I hadn't emptied the boarding passes from my bag for about a month, a month when I'd taken about 40 flights and I had three top tier elite status frequent flyer cards on me too.

IMO, what gums up the process is people who don't know what to do when they get through security. They tend to be the people who are randomly selected for Pre Check and don't realize that they don't have to take off the shoes or jacket, pull out the laptop, etc. And also IMO it's none of the government's business whether I want Pre Check or GE for one trip or many.

We decided to get NEXUS because we want to visit Canada more often. We already had GE, and scheduled our interviews in Vancouver (we live in LA) when we were disembarking a cruise there. It makes entering Canada a breeze - just insert your card, put your eye up to the camera and off you go. Maybe had to swipe the passport, too, I don't entirely remember. And the ability to come home to the US and bypass what can be an endless line is fabulous as well. Totally worth the money, even if you only do it once every 5 years.

Look for any openings at a location in the surrounding area outside of Boston and Providence. Make a day trip. There is a location in Vermont:

U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office

107 Route 91 South

Derby Line, VT 05830

I saw one in Rhode Island that wasn't Providence, it is in Warwick - is that the same?

I had a choice of either flying or driving to Las Vegas or Los Angeles for mine back when I got it 4 years ago for the closest area to me - that meant either a 1-2 hour flight or 6-13 hours of driving. So far, it has been worth it!

Boston to Derby is quite a trip--probably close to eight hours r/t. Boston to Warwick (about 10 miles south of Providence and where TFGreen is located) is a bit over an hour from the South side during non-rush hour.

Just go on line and add it.

Know this

TSA Pre-Check does not guarantee pre-check.

The system is still set up to randomly make you go through the regular line. I've had pre-check listed on my boarding pass, get to the front of the line,,, no 3 beeps and green light, 2 beeps and a red light. TSA agent directing me to the full scan line

Did you have to go to the back of the full scan line or did that allow you to be next in line? I'd hate to have to go all the way back to the beginning! :eek:

Boston to Derby is quite a trip--probably close to eight hours r/t. Boston to Warwick (about 10 miles south of Providence and where TFGreen is located) is a bit over an hour from the South side during non-rush hour.

I'm just trying to give some options. If someone can get an interview quickly at a site further away, it could be worth it. Or, if someone is willing to wait months for the one next door, that is their option.

It's $15 extra... and good for 5 years.

That's $3 a year.

If you use it even once....

What was your question again? ;)

One little point on the 5 years....that is 5 years from your NEXT birthday. So if you get it a month before your birthday you only get 5 years and one month...BUT....if you get it just after your birthday (like i did:D) you can have it for almost 6 years. (my bday is in Jan and I got it the end of Feb...win for me. Plus I think it was only a couple weeks from sign up to final approval at the CBP office at IAH. Whole interview took about 5 minutes. Watching the how to video was longer than the "interview")

Edited by TruckerDave

Global Entry is the best investment that one can make as a traveler living or visiting the US on a regular basis. The pass costs $100 for 5 years or $20/year.

On my last trip though LAX I cleared immigration and customs in the TBIT within 5-10 minutes max and never really slowed down for anything.

With domestic airports getting increasingly crowded, it pays for itself again.

For me the added bonus are the land crossing into Mexico. While this is more of a local thing, I can return from Mexico from Baja in my car in 10-15 minutes where the "normal lines" can take hours.

I am in process of renewing my card right now. I truly view my GE card as one of my most prized possessions.

When I got my notification the first time, I looked on line and saw a big wait. What I did was just show up at the office first thing in the morning and the receptionist let me enter the office immediately.

Edited by SelectSys

Husband and I applied for Global Entry online about a week ago. I checked our accounts today and the status is "Pending Review". My question is: does that mean our applications are in line to be reviewed or are they actually in the process of being reviewed? :confused:

Thanks for any information! ;)

Husband and I applied for Global Entry online about a week ago. I checked our accounts today and the status is "Pending Review". My question is: does that mean our applications are in line to be reviewed or are they actually in the process of being reviewed? :confused:

Thanks for any information! ;)

That is the status you see upon successful submission of your application. Your applications are likely still waiting to be reviewed.

My first application took the about 6 weeks to preliminary approval. i resubmitted my renewal a couple of weeks ago and expect a similar wait time again - if not longer.

Good luck!

That is the status you see upon successful submission of your application. Your applications are likely still waiting to be reviewed.

My first application took the about 6 weeks to preliminary approval. i resubmitted my renewal a couple of weeks ago and expect a similar wait time again - if not longer.

Good luck!

Thank you! I had a feeling it might take awhile to get reviewed. I guess I'll log in once a week to check the status. :)

I have TSA pre-check. I didn't get global entry. In retrospect, I probably should have. But for me, it would have meant a four-hour roundtrip drive to the closest office that does a global entry interview.

I think it's definitely worth the extra $15 if you don't have to drive too far out of your way to get to the interview location.

• 2 weeks later...

Just used Pre Check for the first time. Breezed through security in less than 5 minutes at LAX. Weird but nice not to remove shoes, take liquid bag out, etc. Unfortunately our flight to Vancouver has been delayed an hour and a half so we're spending the time in the United lounge instead of security line, although the regular security line was also moving well.

I think it's definitely worth the extra $15 if you don't have to drive too far out of your way to get to the interview location.

Or just do as I did, I had a 3hr drive to the nearest GE office, so I timed it with a flight connecting through an airport with a GE office and did it there a couple of weeks later.

Helps to think outside the box on some of these things.

Or just do as I did, I had a 3hr drive to the nearest GE office, so I timed it with a flight connecting through an airport with a GE office and did it there a couple of weeks later.

Helps to think outside the box on some of these things.

Like I said somewhere before - I used the chance for my GE interview for a weekend trip to Las Vegas. At the time, it was the closest interview office to my home anyway (6 hours or so drive-time, 1 hr fly-time). Made enough profit from craps to pay for the trip!

I guess they're busy! Three weeks now and both my husband's and my applications are still "pending review"!

It took a little over 2 weeks for ours to get approved for interview. We were able to get a 6:30am appointment 6 weeks from now...if we wanted a mid day appointment it is almost 3 months away.

It took a little over 2 weeks for ours to get approved for interview. We were able to get a 6:30am appointment 6 weeks from now...if we wanted a mid day appointment it is almost 3 months away.

I was just checking another thread on this subject and people who applied the same time as DH and I have received their initial approval already and scheduled their interviews. There's nothing in our pasts (or present!) that should raise any red flags (lol); I'm wondering why we are still in "pending review". :confused: