Unrest in Europe

hototrot

Can anyone just off a cruise comment on the current unrest in Europe did it affect your cruise at all .was there a time when you didn't feel safe or saw evidence of this happening or am I being over cautious.

Can anyone just off a cruise comment on the current unrest in Europe did it affect your cruise at all .was there a time when you didn't feel safe or saw evidence of this happening or am I being over cautious.

First, Europe is an entire continent. It includes Russia, Iceland, Portugal and part of Turkey. Your question is valid, but how does someone answer unrest in North America if the crime rate in Guatemala ia over the top, while Lincoln, Nebraska is great.

Second, it depends on where you plan to visit. Also, say you decide to go to Great Britain, there are places in greater London, Manchester, etc. that even the locals don't go. Just like the Capitol of my state of Georgia, Atlanta, some places even the police don't go into at night. These places are not generally were tourist go anyway. Still, do some research and you will be more secure.

Third, Turkey has its own problems dealing with a lot of Syrian immigrants. When we visited Istanbul in 2013, some of the locals told us there were over a million immigrants just in Istanbul. That number has probably grown. Does that mean Istanbul is not safe. In my opinion, Istanbul is not as safe as it was, but if you really wanted to go there, the risks are not major. Some of the problems that have arisen with the immigrants in Germany, Sweden, France and Belgium are a concern. You need to take that into account and check the US State Department Travel Advisories.

Fourth, the type of travel that you plan will affect the risk. Are you going on a cruise? Even if you spend some pre or post time in a city, cruising is probably one of the least risky ways to travel. While in a port, you just need to avoid the no go areas, which probably won't be where you are planning to go anyway. Still, plan your trip, what you want to see and where you plan to stay as well has your transportation.

Fifth, some countries have economic problems that can affect your travel. Greece is a wonderful place to visit, but visiting Athens is not what it once was. The Islands are not a problem.

We just completed a two week trip to Portugal and it was wonderful. We never felt unsafe and the people were wonderful.

I suggest that you narrow down your choices for where you wish to visit and be more specific about your tentative plans and we can assist you further.

I arrived back home from Paris several days before the bombings. Many asked if I would be afraid of going to Paris again. I would be cautious about where I would go in the city but I plan to go there again in June 2017. This year I'm going from Vienna to the Black Sea.

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were recently in Europe (and many other places) and am not aware of any unrest taking place. There have been some isolated instances, but nothing widespread.

What we see on TV these days vs reality is difficult to grasp sometimes.

We are all set to do Paris to Prague cruise this fall. No concerns here.

like the others have said it may depend on where/when you travel. for example today there will be a union demo in Paris, 55000 are expected. we try to avoid large gathering like that in case things turn nasty.

read current travel advisories for any of the countries you plan to visit and register with smart traveller before you leave oz.

enjoy your trip.

Just returned from a European cruise through Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Nowhere did we see any problems or feel unsafe, even at night.

Go and enjoy yourself, you may be safer than at home?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Can you please specify what you are talking about? I haven´t heard anything about any unrest here in my (German) news.

steamboats

We spent 15 days in France in late May/early June including 14 days on 2 river cruises: the Seine and the Rhone. We saw no unrest and were luckily a week ahead of the horrible flooding. Many of our tour guides volunteered thanks to us for coming to France following the terrorist attacks. As someone who lived through 9/11 in Washington, DC it had never occurred to me to cancel but I did understand their heartfelt sentiments.

Hi to Oz,

I'm a native New Yorker. Went through both World Trade bombings, Son of Sam killings etc. I'm sure that if you don't venture into dodgy areas @ home you automatically won't go to these areas overseas. Caution is always in your mind, be alert. I would think that if there was a problem the cruise lines would alter their ports etc. Leaving on our cruise in few weeks- will end with 4 days in Paris.I will stay alert .

Carole

Thankfully, you are avoiding Orlando, Charleston SC, and other areas of the "States" where gun violence is prevalent.

If heading to France, and especially Paris, stay aware of labor demonstrations and strikes.

Just like the Capitol of my state of Georgia, Atlanta, some places even the police don't go into at night. These places are not generally were tourist go anyway. Still, do some research and you will be more secure.

Uh, what?

I've lived here in Atlanta (in a very urban part of Atlanta, not the 'burbs) for about 30 years. I have never heard of such places. :cool:

Sure there are areas where one would not and should not wander alone at night. But as for 'police no-go zones'? I highly doubt it.

We were in Italy in February and very recently in France and would return tomorrow. We have two more trips to Europe planned this year.

We go there more often than we visit Orlando (an hour from home), which we dislike in general and which has murders daily and has for a long time.

I look at it this way. Bad things can happen any where, any time. You could be minding your own business in a night club in a city in the USA and next thing you know you are a statistic. You could be in a mall, a movie theater, a fast food joint...all in the good ol' USA....and become a statistic. You can let fear keep you from enjoying life....or you can practice common sense, do your best not to make yourself a target and go out and enjoy life. I have lived through some pretty crappy stuff that happened in the "safety" of my own home...I refuse to let the bad people in this world prevent me from exploring this amazing creation that is our world.

Grab life ... don't let it escape you due to fear.

I look at it this way. Bad things can happen any where, any time. You could be minding your own business in a night club in a city in the USA and next thing you know you are a statistic. You could be in a mall, a movie theater, a fast food joint...all in the good ol' USA....and become a statistic. You can let fear keep you from enjoying life....or you can practice common sense, do your best not to make yourself a target and go out and enjoy life. I have lived through some pretty crappy stuff that happened in the "safety" of my own home...I refuse to let the bad people in this world prevent me from exploring this amazing creation that is our world.

Grab life ... don't let it escape you due to fear.

I wish there was a LIKE button - great post!

We are just back from three weeks touring/cruising Italy, Greece and Turkey and saw no signs of refugees or unrest. Rome and Venice were possibly less crowded than when we were there a few years ago. Athens was crowded, but only with tourists -- Piraeus dockworkers were on strike but it didn't affect our cruise at all. Greek (and other) Islands (Mykonos, Delos, Santorini, Rhodes, Crete, Malta) -- no refugees. Ephesus, Turkey -- no hassles except the usual pushy Turkish souvenir sellers. When we went to Istanbul two years ago there were already signs of Syrian refugees (begging, not threatening) and there were demonstrations in Taksim Square -- we felt safe in all our sightseeing at that time, but Istanbul is the one place in Europe I would not go back now because the terrorists have started targeting tourist areas.

Uh, what?

I've lived here in Atlanta (in a very urban part of Atlanta, not the 'burbs) for about 30 years. I have never heard of such places. :cool:

Sure there are areas where one would not and should not wander alone at night. But as for 'police no-go zones'? I highly doubt it.

I have family that live in Atlanta as well as cousins and an Aunt that live in Cobb county.

I am not as familiar with the city as I once was years ago, when the Perry Homes area was a no go area. However, I know that the Perry Homes were destroyed.

Still, my family have made comments about going to certain areas, particularly at night. There are ancestral graves in East Point that we have been advised not to visit even in the daytime.

Here is some information that I found on the internet that may be relevant.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta-neighborhood-no-9-on-most-dangerous-list/nXdh4/

Another post on virtual tourist

So first off and foremost, Atlanta is a beautiful enjoyable city. However like most citys, after dark, *** can get real. I have been to many bad areas in atlanta, and have had experiences ranging. So, First off with what is in my opinion one of the worst neighborhoods in atlanta. The Bluff. It is dangerous. Huge open air drug market. Google the streets of the bluff, you can even get a picture of the abandoned houses, just imagine 20 people standing on each corner yelling trying to get you to buy some drugs. And they will surround your car. Next georgia tech.(still downtown) it is not the safest area by any means. Don't let your ego fool you. Then I would have to go with kirkwood, bordered by Decatur, kirkwood has gang activity and is all around not a safe place at night for someone who doesn't really know what's going on. Then you have decatur, it is very nice and artsy and awesome, but the east side of decatur is not safe. Same with the decatur projects, not safe either. Bankhead on the westside of atlanta is not safe either.(where the bluff is) College park isn't too safe. South atanta isn't safe. Like clayton county; jonesboro. Riverdale. Really south of I-20 you want to make sure you have gas in your car. Oh and don't ride marta, especially at night. Be sure to read more reviews in case I missed anywhere which I'm sure I did.

But hey. Aside from these dangerous spots, atlanta is a great, wonderful, awesome place. And it's nothing to be afraid of. Just use your best judgement and have a great time!

As for some nicer spots try buckhead, mid town, brookhaven, etc.

Have a great time in Atlanta! Woo!

Hope this helped :)

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Georgia/Atlanta-765807/Warnings_or_Dangers-Atlanta-Not_So_Safe_Areas-BR-1.html

This past sunday I was at a reunion of our eighth grade elementary class that graduated in 1955. My BFF and frequent travel companion were talking with a fellow graduate. She related how she was always fearful, had wanted to travel but never got the courage to go anywhere except for the one time she took her entire family on a Disney cruise out of Florida. Here we are in the sunset of our lives and two of us have have have a wonderful time seeing interesting places and the third has lived a fearful life. Of course, one has to use street smarts and savvy on where you choose to go but I really am glad that I chose to go.

We are just back from three weeks touring/cruising Italy, Greece and Turkey and saw no signs of refugees or unrest. Rome and Venice were possibly less crowded than when we were there a few years ago. Athens was crowded, but only with tourists -- Piraeus dockworkers were on strike but it didn't affect our cruise at all. Greek (and other) Islands (Mykonos, Delos, Santorini, Rhodes, Crete, Malta) -- no refugees. Ephesus, Turkey -- no hassles except the usual pushy Turkish souvenir sellers. When we went to Istanbul two years ago there were already signs of Syrian refugees (begging, not threatening) and there were demonstrations in Taksim Square -- we felt safe in all our sightseeing at that time, but Istanbul is the one place in Europe I would not go back now because the terrorists have started targeting tourist areas.

3:57p NYC- Turn on CNN Terror attack in Istanbul.

I have family that live in Atlanta as well as cousins and an Aunt that live in Cobb county.

I am not as familiar with the city as I once was years ago, when the Perry Homes area was a no go area. However, I know that the Perry Homes were destroyed.

Still, my family have made comments about going to certain areas, particularly at night. There are ancestral graves in East Point that we have been advised not to visit even in the daytime.

Here is some information that I found on the internet that may be relevant.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta-neighborhood-no-9-on-most-dangerous-list/nXdh4/

Another post on virtual tourist

So first off and foremost, Atlanta is a beautiful enjoyable city. However like most citys, after dark, *** can get real. I have been to many bad areas in atlanta, and have had experiences ranging. So, First off with what is in my opinion one of the worst neighborhoods in atlanta. The Bluff. It is dangerous. Huge open air drug market. Google the streets of the bluff, you can even get a picture of the abandoned houses, just imagine 20 people standing on each corner yelling trying to get you to buy some drugs. And they will surround your car. Next georgia tech.(still downtown) it is not the safest area by any means. Don't let your ego fool you. Then I would have to go with kirkwood, bordered by Decatur, kirkwood has gang activity and is all around not a safe place at night for someone who doesn't really know what's going on. Then you have decatur, it is very nice and artsy and awesome, but the east side of decatur is not safe. Same with the decatur projects, not safe either. Bankhead on the westside of atlanta is not safe either.(where the bluff is) College park isn't too safe. South atanta isn't safe. Like clayton county; jonesboro. Riverdale. Really south of I-20 you want to make sure you have gas in your car. Oh and don't ride marta, especially at night. Be sure to read more reviews in case I missed anywhere which I'm sure I did.

But hey. Aside from these dangerous spots, atlanta is a great, wonderful, awesome place. And it's nothing to be afraid of. Just use your best judgement and have a great time!

As for some nicer spots try buckhead, mid town, brookhaven, etc.

Have a great time in Atlanta! Woo!

Hope this helped :)

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Georgia/Atlanta-765807/Warnings_or_Dangers-Atlanta-Not_So_Safe_Areas-BR-1.html

So funny. I guess it is all a matter of perception.

My son just graduated from Georgia Tech and lived on or near campus for 5 years -- no problems, ever. He is sensible, of course, but not paranoid.

I live in Decatur and have friends in Kirkwood. I just have to chuckle at these remarks. Well meaning, maybe....but somewhat off the mark.

Stayed near ATL for an extended time last March and rode Marta-no problems at all. Just returned from a trip to Italy which included the usual (crowded) tourist sites. Encountered no problems, even at night. Did not waste my time worrying about terrorism even though I knew that I might be in a terrorist's target area such as the Vatican or FCO. I think that many of us on this forum agree that we won't be scared off by possible unrest. Might we come to regret this position? I suppose that is possible but more likely is regretting that we passed up an opportunity to experience all that life has to offer because we were afraid of the unknown.

So funny. I guess it is all a matter of perception.

My son just graduated from Georgia Tech and lived on or near campus for 5 years -- no problems, ever. He is sensible, of course, but not paranoid.

I live in Decatur and have friends in Kirkwood. I just have to chuckle at these remarks. Well meaning, maybe....but somewhat off the mark.

My son also graduated from Tech and lives in Uptown. I don't find it dangerous there.

Trying to get back on topic ("Unrest in Europe") ...

Celebrity website now has this banner alert:

Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey - Advisory

Celebrity Cruises is aware of the bombing at Istanbul Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey. We are monitoring the situation and considering modifications to upcoming sailings. As always, our decisions are driven by concern for the safety and wellbeing of our guests and crew members.

They had already pulled all port stops in Istanbul, but this implies they make the more difficult decision to reschedule cruises starting or ending in Istanbul. This news should be relevant to those few river cruises that sail down the Eastern Danube and end in Istanbul.

Actually Istanbul is mostly Asia and only a part of it is Europe ;).

Anyway no Danube river cruise really ends in Istanbul. This is an addition to a river cruise on the Danube river where you need to be transported to Istanbul. So this can be easily taken off the itinerary.

steamboats