Center Stairs on Royal

Nrknits

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, is it true? Are they putting center stairs for passengers onto the Royal? If so, when? If so, yippee!!!!

Edited by Nrknits

It was mentioned by the captain on my cruise last week during the platinum / elite cocktail reception . Apparently it will be done during the scheduled dry dock this fall.

Edited by ltcal94

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times, is it true? Are they putting center stairs for passengers onto the Royal? If so, when? If so, yippee!!!!

Stairs are already there.

The area has to be updated to passenger area decor.

I recall this being discussed before and some thought the slope of the stairs was too steep and that there was not enough room to decrease it without removing cabins.

I do hope they add the stairs one way or another. It would be nice to see some improved access to the promenade too.

Leaving out the center stairs on the Royal/Regal was a very bad decision. Whether they now can add the stairs without taking out some cabins remains to be seen. I hope they can get it done.

To me it's no big deal if you like to walk so much just go to the front or the back and walk up or down.

Tony

Totally agree......could care less about the stairs and I am always surprised to see a lot of people taking elevators up or down one floor.....really....too lazy to take stairs.....;)

To me it's no big deal if you like to walk so much just go to the front or the back and walk up or down.

Tony

I have said this ever since we took the first Royal Princess voyage the year she came out. We had timed the walk to either the forward or aft stairways and it took a little over a minute. Not that much time or effort especially if they were to take a central staircase to go up or down a deck or two.

The crew/muster stairway is constructed somewhat different than true passenger staircases, but could be dressed up to look less "sterile" and certainly useable. It would have been less costly to make them passenger stairs during the build process then redoing them in dry dock.....but that was the decision to save money and time.

Eager to see how they end up fixing this issue when we sail on the Royal again in February.

The existing stairs look to be the right height, not too steep. I was on the Regal for 25 days this Spring and no center stairs not an issue. I just walked forward or aft.

My cabin was on Baja, almost mid-ship. I walked forward, had to back track to the stairs by the piazza, no problem. I'm on vacation and can certainly use the exercise.

I will be on the Royal next Fall so it will be interesting to see center stairs!

It would have been less costly to make them passenger stairs during the build process then redoing them in dry dock.....but that was the decision to save money and time.
It was a decision by Mickey Arison to save money.

I didn't miss them when I was on the Royal.

I did, however, miss the outside promenade and dance floors. Don't suppose the ship is getting either of those in drydock ....

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Totally agree......could care less about the stairs and I am always surprised to see a lot of people taking elevators up or down one floor.....really....too lazy to take stairs.....;)

Lazy? Some people, such as myself, have had recent knee or hip surgeries and can't use stairs for 90 days. Just say'n.

Lazy? Some people, such as myself, have had recent knee or hip surgeries and can't use stairs for 90 days. Just say'n.

Must be lots of people with knee surgery cruising then on the Royal and Regal...I think it is more an issue of fitness from lack of exercise....just a theory....did not mean to offend anyone but I think many know what I am talking about...:)

Must be lots of people with knee surgery cruising then on the Royal and Regal...I think it is more an issue of fitness from lack of exercise....just a theory....did not mean to offend anyone but I think many know what I am talking about...:)

While I'm sure there are some who are "lazy" (or maybe just prefer a quick elevator ride that time, while they may have done an hour in the gym earlier or enjoy riding elevators or whatever), there are others who may have difficulties that are not visible, ie joint issues, vertigo, muscle issues, pain conditions and so on. I wouldn't be so quick to judge without knowing the person...looks can be quite deceiving...

Edited by reedprincess

It's each person's decision whether to walk up or down a flight or two of stairs. I often walk up or down stairs but there are times when I'm tired, carrying a beverage, with someone else who doesn't or I just don't feel like it. My reasons whether I do or not is no one's business. My daughter looks perfectly healthy but has a nerve condition (RSD -- Google it) and is in extreme pain (on a level with or worse than a kidney stone or childbirth) a good deal of the time and will for the rest of her life. You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. She has a handicap placard and gets judgmental looks all the time as though she's abusing the system. There are times I'd like to transfer her pain to anyone who thinks or judges that she's just lazy or out of shape.

Tony

That would be us. DH has a problem with his lungs - blood clots. We're hoping he's back to his old self again and can walk up stairs again come October.