Center Stairs on Royal

Nrknits

Must be lots of people with knee surgery cruising then on the Royal and Regal...I think it is more an issue of fitness from lack of exercise....just a theory....did not mean to offend anyone but I think many know what I am talking about...:)

I got what you were saying. DH also has a artificial knee and they think that's where the blood clots originated even after 4 years when the knee was replaced. It's the exercise we keep after every day and the elevator is not in our vocabulary. However, I noticed DH slowing down on out last cruise and unknown to us he had the clots. There was no pain associated with it. He did take the elevator as he was out of breath.

It's each person's decision whether to walk up or down a flight or two of stairs. I often walk up or down stairs but there are times when I'm tired, carrying a beverage, with someone else who doesn't or I just don't feel like it. My reasons whether I do or not is no one's business. My daughter looks perfectly healthy but has a nerve condition (RSD -- Google it) and is in extreme pain (on a level with or worse than a kidney stone or childbirth) a good deal of the time and will for the rest of her life. You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy. She has a handicap placard and gets judgmental looks all the time as though she's abusing the system. There are times I'd like to transfer her pain to anyone who thinks or judges that she's just lazy or out of shape.

I stand by what I said....there is no way that the majority of passengers on a Princess cruise ship represent that they are committed to a life of physical fitness...:)

I stand by what I said....there is no way that the majority of passengers on a Princess cruise ship represent that they are committed to a life of physical fitness...:)

No where have I ever seen a majority, or even minority, of Princess passengers represent that they are committed to a lifestyle of physical fitness.

Taking the elevator does not mean one isn't committed to fitness, nor does it mean one is lazy, nor does it mean one has any type of physical or mental disability. It just means one is using the elevator. If that's a problem for some, oh well... What can you do? Sail a ship with no elevators maybe, that would solve that problem I suppose..

Otherwise, elevators are for everyone's use, regardless of represented physical fitness or not...

Edited by reedprincess

I dont understand everyone complaining about the central stairs. If they are as physically fit as they claim, then they can walk to the forward or aft stairs and take them down. I just dont get it.:D

If your located in any of the cabins near the atrium & are are headed to dinner or get a cup of coffee it makes for a long walk.

Now if they could only combine the elevator bank call buttons it would really save time. ;)

Now if they could only combine the elevator bank call buttons it would really save time. ;)

Yep. Just off Regal (same design as Royal) and the elevator logic is very bad. First problem is that in the stair-less center bank, the six elevators are in three separate control groups: the main bank of four plus each scenic elevator is on its own. So people typically call all three so a lot of needless stopping.

Second issue is logic that won't allow another to be called until the first (even if full) has departed. On the deck 4 (gangway) as people are boarding at the end of a port call, long lines can develop as not enough elevators go down there. Example: large group waiting, one elevator goes to 4 and quickly fills. Meanwhile, others are waiting but can't call another elevator (pressing the call button just keeps the doors open on the one already there). Watching the display, you can even see one come down to 5 and start back up because the control system thinks the demand on 4 was met by the one already there.

A solution is during these high demand periods on one floor, all the elevators should be on "recall" to that floor so they all keep coming down there (e.g. in the office building where I work, there's always an implied call to the ground floor so if one departs, another comes down to the ground floor - the call button on the ground floor does nothing since one is always being called whether the button is pushed or not).

wow, ask a simple question... thanks to those who answered it! I for one am delighted to hear that there will be center stairs for passengers! Now all we need is a wrap around promenade and it will be a near perfect ship :D

wow, ask a simple question... thanks to those who answered it! I for one am delighted to hear that there will be center stairs for passengers! Now all we need is a wrap around promenade and it will be a near perfect ship :D

I agree about trying to ask a simple question and then getting everyone's complaint about what it is instead of what it might be. Unfortunately, we won't be getting a wraparound Promenade deck on the Royal class ships due to the safety regulations moving the tender crafts closer to deck 7 for quicker use - at least that's what I was told. At least they opened up the Regal a little for a bit longer walk, but not a full transit. Not sure if the the next ships in line will be any different.

She still is a beautiful ship and we love HC/Bistro area.

The stairs are already there. :confused:

We never missed them. Don't need them. We did use them for muster.

I've with you. Only time we use any central stairs is during muster. Lately we have been getting cabins Aft or near Aft so the central stairs are no factor whatsoever.

A possible solution to the stairs versus elevator debate for future ship design:

Escalators. They would keep traffic moving; they would still be useful as stairs in the event of a power outage; use of them would free up elevator space for the handicapped.

A possible solution to the stairs versus elevator debate for future ship design:

Escalators. They would keep traffic moving; they would still be useful as stairs in the event of a power outage; use of them would free up elevator space for the handicapped.

Escalators use too much space which is at a premium on a ship.

As for lifeboat/tender ship design and the Promenade, that was changed after the Concordia disaster. Maritime law. SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea.)

Interesting in this discussion is that no one has crabbed about the Grand which has had no center passenger stairs since it was built almost twenty years ago. Guess people adapted. [emoji12]

As for lifeboat/tender ship design and the Promenade, that was changed after the Concordia disaster. Maritime law. SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea.)

I thought it was to make more balcony cabins? Wasn't the Royal in process before the Concordia? I would have thought (and I could of course be wrong) that by the time the safety regulations were changed, the Royal would be beyond this major design change.

Escalators use too much space which is at a premium on a ship.

Interesting in this discussion is that no one has crabbed about the Grand which has had no center passenger stairs since it was built almost twenty years ago. Guess people adapted. [emoji12]

As have the great majority of cruisers that have sailed Royal and Regal. These ships sail full and are popular with many repeaters. Princess has made the decision on their profitability by ordering 3 more.:D

Not so sure about that! Looking at the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas, it clearly shows the Grand has a center staircase from deck 5 to 14.

Perhaps someone on the Grand, or has just disembarked, can comment.

I dont understand everyone complaining about the central stairs. If they are as physically fit as they claim, then they can walk to the forward or aft stairs and take them down. I just dont get it.:D

No different to people walking around Horizon Court looking for something to eat and returning for more. I bet they would have walked further than the length of the ship by the time they had finished eating

Not so sure about that! Looking at the 2016-2017 Cruise Atlas, it clearly shows the Grand has a center staircase from deck 5 to 14.

Perhaps someone on the Grand, or has just disembarked, can comment.

The center staircase on the Grand is for crew only above deck 7.

I thought it was to make more balcony cabins? Wasn't the Royal in process before the Concordia? I would have thought (and I could of course be wrong) that by the time the safety regulations were changed, the Royal would be beyond this major design change.

Yes, Viking found a way to have a full wrap around Promenade Deck on their new ships. It did take away cabin space on the deck above. I guess Princess did not want to lose those precious money making cabins so they took away Promenade Deck space instead. Profit before took precedence over customer amenities. I'm a stockholder so I have no quarrel with profit. However the profit making decisions on the Royal/Regal have resulted in ships that we will not sail on again.

Edited by mreasier

As have the great majority of cruisers that have sailed Royal and Regal. These ships sail full and are popular with many repeaters. Princess has made the decision on their profitability by ordering 3 more.:D

They are our favorite class of Princess ships and there are so many more positives and very few negatives that I can see. We are sailing on the maiden voyage of the Majestic Princess and I see no center stair cases going through all decks except for forward and aft on that ship too.

I am not really convinced that there are going to be changes on the Royal even though so many people on CC seem to know someone...who knows someone...who knows someone...who knows a Princess Engineer or Captain....:D

They are our favorite class of Princess ships and there are so many more positives and very few negatives that I can see. We are sailing on the maiden voyage of the Majestic Princess and I see no center stair cases going through all decks except for forward and aft on that ship too.

I am not really convinced that there are going to be changes on the Royal even though so many people on CC seem to know someone...who knows someone...who knows someone...who knows a Princess Engineer or Captain....:D

For some of us, the negatives are showstoppers, which is too bad, because there were a lot of positives.

Unless you happen to know someone who works in the design dept I'll have to accept the word from someone who was told that at a meeting with the Captain. It would be great if it did happen but I wouldn't cancel my cruise if it didn't.:D

Is there a list of other dry dock items for the Royal other than the center stairs? Or is it pretty much just a refresh otherwise?

I was on the Regal in Feb & March and was informed by staff that the Royal was also getting an aft pool like currently on Regal.

We are on the Royal TA immediately out of dry dock so time will tell - Saturday October 8th!!

:):):):)