Is passport needed when going ashore?

jonever

Hi Almost a cruise newbie having had a short trip to Ireland last year. This time we are going from Liverpool to the Canary Islands and Cape Verde, calling at Madeira, Portugal and Spain. I would like to know what happens when we dock at any of these places i.e. do we have to through passport control and show our passports, therefore necessitating carrying our passports around with us whilst on shore, be it on a ship-organised tour or under our own steam. Many thanks

Not needed on your itinerary.

ditto. Haven't had to carry it in those ports. You might find the ship collects your passport to help get the ship cleared faster. (seems to depend upon the ship and sailing). It is as safe in their passport as yours and you should get a receipt. If that is the case, it will be turned back over to you before disembarkation :)

Some countries will require that you produce official government ID to re-board the ship; in those cases a drivers license is sufficient. Passengers are given that information the night before arrival.

We don't carry our passports ashore unless required by the country being visited (i.e., Russia) but we do carry a copy of the main passport page with us always. That was at the suggestion of a friend at the US Embassy in Prague in 2009. He said pickpockets were a terrible problem (as they are in many large cities) and they were targeting passports. On that trip we watched as hundreds of tourists offered there passports as collateral when renting audio tours at the Castle. From what we could see, anyone on the staff or even someone willing to reach around the counter could walk off with a handful of passports. After some cajoling, they took the copy of our passport page. Also, in an absolute worst case scenario, if you somehow miss the ship and don't have your passport with you, the data on the passport page assists the US Embassy or Consulate in establishing your identity and re-issuing you a passport if required.

Most ports that cruise ship stop at do not require a passport. Some ports require your cruise card and government issued ID to re-board the ship. You should always carry a photo copy of your passport with you just to be on the safe side.

if you somehow miss the ship and don't have your passport with you, the data on the passport page assists the US Embassy or Consulate in establishing your identity and re-issuing you a passport if required.

very considerate of the US Embassy to re-issue British passports (OP is from Wales). :D Anyway, they probably have a copy of it on file anyway :eek::eek:

very considerate of the US Embassy to re-issue British passports (OP is from Wales). :D Anyway, they probably have a copy of it on file anyway :eek::eek:

OP - I'm guessing that copying the main page of a British passport (or any other country's for that matter) would be a good practice for the same reason that our friend recommended it.

Most cruise lines will store the passport in the pursers office for the cruise duration. As noted a good idea is always keep a copy of your passport with you.

No they don't, only on a few itineraries will they do this. In 15 cruises only had our passport kept once.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

An interesting question regarding passports. We have cruised to Venice, passport required when re-entering the ship NOT going ashore, go figure as the Americans say:D Germany, had to take passport but was never looked at only the boarding cards. We have done the Canaries cruise, and age thing, we can't remember, but pretty sure it was not required. When not required, the passport was kept in the cabin safe, which on the Braemar, is in one of the wardrobes.

Edited by ovccruiser

Hi

Just to clarify earlier answers, we are going to be on a Fred Olson ship, so does anyone know IF a passport is required whilst going ashore, will we be told by Fred Olsen, even if not going on an organised cruise? Plus do we need other ID like Driving licence as mentioned elsewhere? We were not planning to take that with us. Thanks again

Hi

Just to clarify earlier answers, we are going to be on a Fred Olson ship, so does anyone know IF a passport is required whilst going ashore, will we be told by Fred Olsen, even if not going on an organised cruise? Plus do we need other ID like Driving licence as mentioned elsewhere? We were not planning to take that with us. Thanks again

Yes, you will be told by Fred Olsen if you need to take your passport. You will be told during the port lecture, if you go to it; you will also be told in the daily programme.

You don't need a driving licence or other i.d. Your ship's pass will be enough for anyone to identify you, if they need to. Also make sure you carry the daily programme with the name and phone number of the official ship's agent.

There are two cases: 1) a passport is required by law to be on your person in a particular country OR 2) a passport is not required by law to be on your person in a particular country.

In case 1, the cruise ship will go out of its way to notify EVERYONE to have their passport when going ashore. It will be impossible to NOT know this. Don't worry about being the only person on the ship to not get the message.

In case 2, there are endless discussions and opinions about carrying your passport when it is not required. Make up your own mind and don't worry about the opinion of others. Do have some form of photo ID such as a driver's license and your ship card. ETA: yes, there are cases where you only need a ship card. Once again, the ship will tell you if a photo ID is REQUIRED. If it is not required, it is your option whether or not to take one.

Yes, there are different experiences about the ship holding your passport. In your case, they either will or won't. The decision is out of your control so don't worry about it.

Edited by Shorex

Jonever- it was on a Thomson cruise that we were told to always carry our passport NUMBER and city of ISSUE- so that the consul could help in difficulties. Most people just carry a photocopy of the main page.

We've never been asked for passports going from a ship in Spain or Portugal. We were warned at least 3 times before Dubrovnik in Croatia, that passports must be taken but still people got off without, and the dock was full of passengers scurrying back to the ship :rolleyes: So- listen for announcements.

Perhaps the Driving Licence idea you've seen has come from people in the US who can take certain cruises without a passport, but must have a DL?

This might not apply to you, but some Spanish tobacconists like to see a passport if you're buying a large quantity of goods- I've seen that in La Coruna, on the north coast.

One more thought for consideration: If you are planning on doing any of these activities, you likely should consider taking your ID/Passport/copies with you:

1) Exchanging currency at a bank or currency exchange

2) Making larger credit card purchases

3) Renting items that may want a non-cash "deposit"

Many countries require identification for currency transactions with some needing a passport check. I have been able to use a passport photocopy in most cases, but not all. Retailers may want to check your ID before a larger credit card purchase, just like at home.

The cruise lines I patronize give little cases, where both my ship keycard and my drivers license can stay, along with a credit card or two. Or pick one up so you don't have an issue of "where to keep it".