Alaska must do's

oceanlover1210

We are considering taking Celebrity Solstice from Seattle on a 7 day cruise in 2017, August. I have never been to Alaska, my husband has on 2 special organized trips. I'm wondering if we should not take a to and from Seattle in 7 days, but take a cruise where we would have to fly to get back to Seattle. We don't have an excess of money to throw at the trip, but we are in our 70s and it will probably be the one and only time to go to Alaska.

What are the places, excursions we should not miss?

Have questions about cabins also, but I guess I have to ask that elsewhere. Thanks so much.:)

"Must do" is what interests you...not what we say it is. For example, some will...believe it or not, snorkel in one Alaskan port. Having snorkeled all over the world, I have no interest, and would not even consider snorkeling in Alaska.

There is a board on Cruise Critic dedicated to Alaska. Some reading there, along with on the website for your cruise line, will give you lots of ideas for things to do. Then pick what interests you, and, if applicable, what fits your budget and activity level.

We are considering taking Celebrity Solstice from Seattle on a 7 day cruise in 2017, August. I have never been to Alaska, my husband has on 2 special organized trips. I'm wondering if we should not take a to and from Seattle in 7 days, but take a cruise where we would have to fly to get back to Seattle. We don't have an excess of money to throw at the trip, but we are in our 70s and it will probably be the one and only time to go to Alaska.

Have questions about cabins also, but I guess I have to ask that elsewhere. Thanks so much.:)

Our first cruise to Alaska, I was convinced it was going to be a "once and done" thing. WRONG!

It wasn't 3 days into the trip that we decided to do another.

If, indeed, you mean it's the only trip you're going to take to Alaska, I'd be sure to hit either Glacier Bay and/or Hubbard. I'd suggest heading over to the Alaska board here to get much more detailed answers as to "what not to miss". I think you'll find you won't have time for everything.

Alaska board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=55

If this is to be your only Alaska cruise, I agree with Shmoo that you should go on an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. And that rules out Celebrity, as they have no permits for Glacier Bay. You need to look at Princess, HAL, and NCL. EM

If this is to be your only Alaska cruise, I agree with Shmoo that you should go on an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. And that rules out Celebrity, as they have no permits for Glacier Bay. You need to look at Princess, HAL, and NCL. EM

There five companies listed below are authorized to provide cruise ship services in Glacier Bay:

Princess Cruiselines

Holland America, Inc.

Norwegian Cruiselines

Carnival Cruise Lines

Crystal Cruises

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/management/cruise-ships.htm

There five companies listed below are authorized to provide cruise ship services in Glacier Bay:

Princess Cruiselines

Holland America, Inc.

Norwegian Cruiselines

Carnival Cruise Lines

Crystal Cruises

https://www.nps.gov/glba/learn/management/cruise-ships.htm

Yes, but the OP stated she was looking at August 2017, and Crystal and Carnival are not calling there then. In fact Crystal isnot listed to call there at all in 2017. Plus, the OP mentioned budget is a factor...Carnival, on the other hand, is calling there three times next summer, even one visit leaving Seattle June 27. Usually they are only at the very beginning and end of the Alaska season. EM

Yes, but the OP stated she was looking at August 2017, and Crystal and Carnival are not calling there then. In fact Crystal isnot listed to call there at all in 2017. Plus, the OP mentioned budget is a factor...Carnival, on the other hand, is calling there three times next summer, even one visit leaving Seattle June 27. Usually they are only at the very beginning and end of the Alaska season. EM

Sorry, your information is not correct. Crystal is scheduled in Glacier Bay 5 times in 2017 - 6/23, 7/7, 7/15, 8/4 and 8/13.

I would not miss going whale watching in Juneau. I saw so many whales on that excursion, including whales fully breaching. Also saw sea lions and seals on the excursion. It was an awesome excursion and the photos I took are wonderful. Also, if Tracy Arm Fjord is on your itinerary, I have never seen such beautiful scenery in my entire life - stunning! I went halibut fishing in Icy Strait Point and caught a couple of halibut. It was a bucket list thing for me to go fishing in Alaska.

IMO, Hubbard Glacier seen from a smaller ship (under 1000 passengers) is "up close and personal."

Save you helicopter $$$ for the NaPali Coast on Kauai.

But do take a float plane ride - ask for a dehavilland before they're all gone.

Isn't Kauai in Hawaii?

DON

Here are the must do's

Glacier Bay (just WOW!!!) best day on any Alaska cruise

Whale watching by boat - Juneau or Sitka

White Pass Railway Skagway - another WOW!

Misty Fjords Flightseeing - Ketchikan, then walk around town - walk to the creek on Creek St. a lot of times you can see salmon spawning!

I hope you have a wonderful time! Alaska is breathtaking!

Denali National Park