Summer Caribbean Cruising????

We are thinking of taking our children/grandchildren on a cruise, but due to work schedules, it would have to be during June or July. We have cruised many times, but always in the winter. Is the Caribbean, and the island stops, extremely hot, humid, and "unbearable" during those months, or does it not really make that much of a difference? Any info/advice is welcome. Thank you.

Hi Don, Susan,

Well, first, "unbearable" is somewhat a relative word. What's okay for me may not be okay for you.

Yes, it is hotter and more humid- it is not winter.

Example: Here in south Florida we (along with the rest of the USA) have the hottest Summer on record, and I thought last year was hot! Daily heat indexes can reach over 100°, and 104-105° + is not uncommon.

.... and we are not further south in the Caribbean!

My suggestion, being rather well-trained in meteorology, is to look up temps this year at certain islands you might visit, and decide for yourself. Look at temperature and humidity, those = the heat index. Ultimately it is up to you as to what you and your family can handle.

Edited by loubetti

We are thinking of taking our children/grandchildren on a cruise, but due to work schedules, it would have to be during June or July. We have cruised many times, but always in the winter. Is the Caribbean, and the island stops, extremely hot, humid, and "unbearable" during those months, or does it not really make that much of a difference? Any info/advice is welcome. Thank you.

It's pretty darn hot.

Newsflash: It's HOT in the Caribbean in August!!!!

Yes, the Caribbean islands are hot in the summer. But, depending on where you live, it may be not that much different than home. There is more humidity in summer, but most of the islands we have been to are not as hot as temps in Oklahoma! And you usually get a breeze at the beach.

Depends on the location in the Caribbean too.

We've been in Labadee in the summer and it was uncomfortably hot.

However, we've also been in the Southern Caribbean in the summer months, like Barbados and Curacao, and I didn't notice much difference from winter.

Where you live may determine what you find unbearable.

We were just on the Adventure in June. Yes it was hot but always seemed to have a breeze which we do not get in Indiana. Lived in South Florida for almost 4 years so was prepared. We really liked it but that is us.

What others have said about hot and humid!

I would recommend June as the month when the risk of too hot would be the lowest.

I love the weather in the Caribbean in the summer. Yep, it's hot and humid, but to me that's perfect beach weather. As long as you aren't trying to get dressed up and keep a lot of make up on your face and aren't planning to wear a lot of clothes to cover up, you'll be fine.

I like living in a swimsuit. I wear a swimsuit coverup only when I have to in order to ride in a car or walk around town or the inside of the ship. I don't bring much makeup with me (basically mascara only for daytime, and even then, usually don't bother with that on a beach day), and I've stopped bothering trying to do my hair in the Caribbean no matter what the month is, since for my curly hair, it's always too humid.

The hot weather makes it so the pool deck is actually bearable at night, whereas in the winter months, for me, I need a sweatshirt to tolerate it.

With that being said, it really depends on your tolerance level. I went on a summer Caribbean trip with some friends who can't handle the heat very well and they didn't enjoy being outdoors as much as I did. I spent every hour possible in a swimsuit on the beach, never felt too hot, and I loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

It is very hot and humid with loads of kids.

Because of our family's schedule (teachers and students) we almost exclusively cruise the Caribbean during June or July. We are the opposite this December. We will be cruising and we fear the water might not be warm enough. We love cruising during the summer and we've taken my Grandson on every cruise since he was 3. The pool is warm and pleasant. They have plenty of shaded areas to sit if you get too hot or simply prefer not to bake but want to keep an eye on the Grands and have a nice breeze. The water on the beaches is a great temperature. If you are walking long distances in the sun, keep a bottle of water with you for the kids and for yourself. We thought it was much hotter a couple of years ago on a Med cruise in June than on a Caribbean cruise in June. We love it. :D

Your only concern should be having bad hair all day long! Personally I prefer the Caribbean in the hot months. I like the ocean to be nice and warm, as well as the pools. There's always a chance to cool off whether in the water or tuck into somewhere with nice cold A/C.

Living in the lower desert of So Calif our summer months never drop below 105 to 115 + from June through August. Our humidity is very low so 108 to us is more comfortable then 105 with 50 % humidity. Humidity makes even 80's to 90's miserable. Drink plenty of water, if on the beach, take breaks and get in the shade or inside for a bit.

From Chicago, and have cruised the Caribbean quite a bit during summer months when we used to have to follow our girl's school schedules.

Yes, it's very HOT and HUMID! There were actually a few times where it was just too hot to enjoy the balcony in the afternoon.

That said, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :D

As was said previously, it really depends on what you're used to. We've only ever cruised in the summer months. Living in south Florida for the past 40 years, I would worry that the water would not be warm enough to go into, in the winter months. I prefer the water warmer. Having said that, we were in the ocean in Nassau today with people from Canada who were loving the water temp. Yes, it's ungodly hot and very humid. You also have to worry about afternoon showers and tropical storms and hurricanes. But to be with your family, all together, on a ship that offers do much to do that it doesn't matter if you don't spend all day outside, to me it's a no brainer. Take the summer cruise and enjoy being together!