newbie and Acronyms are making me crazy

redhot77

I read a lot of post and really don't response or put out a questions however, acronyms are making me crazy. What does DD & DH stand for? Some of the acronyms are used in the normal words and I get them. I might have ideas of what something means in these boards but, not always.

Who is John and why does he pull so much weight in the cruise world?

:confused:

You are right CruiseBruce, I was not thinking in those terms(Navy lingo).

I have seen them on the Cruising post . Several times I wondered exact the context for using DH/DD/DS(dear Husband, etc) why not use husband, daughter, son, wife, parents etc.... From what's I know every "agency/group" has their own list of acronyms and in cruising it is all new to me. Some of these people don't communicate very well and using acronyms just throws everything off for those of us who are new to the cruise world. It too me forever to get OP...just a girl from the 80's it still meant Ocean Pacific.

Have a great day.

the DH/DW/DD etc is an industry standard for all message boards and forums. ( I personally prefer the D to mean Damn on occasion as opposed to Dear or Darling)

just be grateful L33T speak has gone out of fashion.

they are shortcuts; it is a lot quicker to type out 2 letters rather than an entire word.

the DH/DW/DD etc is an industry standard for all message boards and forums. ( I personally prefer the D to mean Damn on occasion as opposed to Dear or Darling)

they are shortcuts; it is a lot quicker to type out 2 letters rather than an entire word.

Yes, on every message board out there, not just CC.

DD- Dear Daughter. DH- Dear Husband.

Don't get your context on the "John" issue.

Somebody pointed out that in some contexts DD means Dependent Daughter, etc.

Also, there is a frequent poster on CC (Cruise Critic, not Credit Card:)) who refuses to use DD and instead types, "the girl."

Not picking on the OP, but neither "DD" nor "DH" are acronyms. For that matter neither is "OP."

ac·ro·nym

ˈakrəˌnim/

noun

an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA).

My personal favorite is QANTAS.

Yes, I am a smarty-pants. Think of my poor wife. She's had to put up with it for over 40 years.

OK, another story. I worked for many years in the IT industry. Early in our relationship my wife had to sit and listen to conversations I'd have with colleagues which were laced with acronyms and other jargon.

One day she told me, "OK, we have a new rule. No more AFWs"

I thought for quite a bit about that, but could not figure out what she meant. I gave up and asked, "What are AFWs."

"Abbreviations For Words."

She still puts up with me. We're going on a cruise for our 40th Anniversary, this month.

The one that makes me crazy is TA. It can be used at Travel Agent or Trans Atlantic. Sometimes I have to re-read because my brain took the wrong one. Like why would you care what deck your travel agent was LOL.

LOL -- and, here I thought I was the only one who wondered why a poster was being advised to fire their Trans Atlantic!;)

The one that makes me crazy is TA. It can be used at Travel Agent or Trans Atlantic. Sometimes I have to re-read because my brain took the wrong one. Like why would you care what deck your travel agent was LOL.

Paying attention to context generally helps in understanding many things. Very few people will think their TransAtlantic secured them a great on board credit - or would have enjoyed a balcony cabin on the sunny side of their Travel Agent.

If people took time to carefully prepare and enter their input, quality of discussion might go up. Just a thought. I don't get why people would want to use a totally impersonal somewhat degrading DW or DD rather than just saying "my wife" or "dumb daughter." These are people you are referring to, not stocks on the NY stock exchange.

Paying attention to context generally helps in understanding many things. Very few people will think their TransAtlantic secured them a great on board credit - or would have enjoyed a balcony cabin on the sunny side of their Travel Agent.

Common sense won't get you far here I'm afraid.

Most of the abbreviations are easy if you read the sentence.

Yes, on every message board out there, not just CC.

Is the CC referring to Cruise critic, Cruise Consultant, Credit card, Concierge cabin or a Curious Cat. Most times the context will make guessing easier. Otherwise, google may help.:D

Not picking on the OP, but neither "DD" nor "DH" are acronyms. For that matter neither is "OP."

ac·ro·nym

ˈakrəˌnim/

noun

an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA).

My personal favorite is QANTAS.

Yes, I am a smarty-pants. Think of my poor wife. She's had to put up with it for over 40 years.

OK, another story. I worked for many years in the IT industry. Early in our relationship my wife had to sit and listen to conversations I'd have with colleagues which were laced with acronyms and other jargon.

One day she told me, "OK, we have a new rule. No more AFWs"

I thought for quite a bit about that, but could not figure out what she meant. I gave up and asked, "What are AFWs."

"Abbreviations For Words."

She still puts up with me. We're going on a cruise for our 40th Anniversary, this month.

Congrats.

But do you know what QANTAS is an acronym for?

L33T sort of went away when the H4x0rz started to all be Russian or Chinese and it did not work well in those character sets.

Some of the abbreviations and acronyms are fun to try to cipher out. Like solving puzzles. When I started working at an engineering/manufacturing firm six months ago I kept reading about PAT and FAT and finally caught on that they were Pre-Acceptance Testing and Final Acceptance Testing. Solving a riddle can be very satisfying.

Yes - I know what QANTAS stands for but not going to spoil someones fun. ;)