Should I be disappointed in my Travel Agent?

Ox Fan Cruiser

Find a different travel agency. On our TA on the Silhouette this past April, we got $125 obc and the total bill was a little over $1300. The $100 on the $3000 tab is a whopping 3 1/2%.

That $3000 total is probably for EVERYTHING - port charges, government taxes and possibly even insurance and/or gratuities. Remember, TAs only get paid on the CRUISE FARE.

That $3000 total is probably for EVERYTHING - port charges, government taxes and possibly even insurance and/or gratuities. Remember, TAs only get paid on the CRUISE FARE.

Speculation on your part is meaningless without the facts. My speculation, based on the $1549 is that is just the cruise fare. My $1300 was cruise, taxes, and government fees. I got almost 10%. A $100 obc, on any cruise a week or longer would be an insult and I wouldn't waste anymore time with them

I agree with a lot of others and would suggest finding a new TA or doing it yourself. As much as I'd like to use a local TA to book the reality is that at least for me they provide very little extra value these days. All 3 TAs and X all quoted the same price for the cabin so it really just boiled down to which one offered the best perks.

I'm not expecting a dedicated personal assistant, but at the end of the day the one that provides me with the best value will get my business, and if it isn't price then the service needs to be at least a step above the competition.

For those of you who don't believe about the 1 category upgrade, take a look on the Captain's Club benefits section of the Celebrity website. It says this:

• One category upgrade through AquaClass® (prior to sailing, when available, restrictions apply) ***

There is lots of fine print but basically, if you have paid for a 2C and there is a 2B available at booking, you can book the 2B.

Definitely find another TA. We have a great one who we found sponsoring many X cruises on the cruise critic weekly top 25 cruise deal email. They had always delivered what was promised and have lowered prices when the price dropped. They make sure we get the most discount, senior, past passenger, resident, and I always ask for the 1 category upgrade. We usually do concierge and are able, for example, to book a c1 at a c2 price. In addition, for example our next cruise was priced at 1399 plus tax and port charges for a c2 and we had prepaid gratuities, classic beverage and $600 OBC. It pays to shop!!! We ,told friends who had booked directly with X, they switched to our TA (veteran cruisers but first time cruisers with X) and saved $400. Shop before you make that booking like someone else here said. My theory is, you are on the same ship, same cabin, same cruise...why pay more than you have to! Your concern should not be how much commission the TA is making, but how much is coming out of your wallet, Happy travels

We usually do concierge and are able, for example, to book a c1 at a c2 price.

Any chance you have this in writing, or did you use it just as an example? :)

Reason I ask is that when we booked a concierge stateroom for our next cruise we were told by all 3 TAs and X that they never upgrade to the back of the boat. C2 from a C3 = no problems, but C1 from C2 was not an option.

TIA

Reason I ask is that when we booked a concierge stateroom for our next cruise we were told by all 3 TAs and X that they never upgrade to the back of the boat. C2 from a C3 = no problems, but C1 from C2 was not an option.

TIA

In fact we are booked into a c2 at c3 price on our upcoming cruise. We haven't tried a c1 for c2 price because we don't like the back of the ship because of vibrations. On the X website under captains club tab benefits it says 1 category upgrade through aqua class. I would try calling captains club rep or Celebrity one touch. They should be able to give you better information than reservations in my experience. If you are booked through a TA, celebrity won't be able to make the change, but you should be able to get an answer from them. Also I'd try your TA again. We use one that's online and reachable by phone, and I'm guessing it's a doable request. We forgot about the upgrade on this cruise and called our TA to switch categories 6 months after we booked and they were able to change our cabin. Good luck,

TIA

Correct, you can't get the one category upgrade to a C1 and only pay for a C2 (believe me, I've tried on several occasions :D) - it's excluded from the CC offer, along with FVs and a few others (see below for full details, copied from the X website ;)):

'One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.'

We booked a Transatlantic cruise with a 2D cabin price of $1549. She gave us a discount and $75 cabin credit. The agency seems to be a major one. I noticed that Celebrity's price dropped to $1499. So for the 2 of us the price dropped $100. I asked her (by Email) to rebook it. She did and sent the new confirmation showing our cost went down only $20. I emailed back and she said replied, "sorry Ox Fan Cruiser. A lower fare results in lower profit. Still getting $75 on board credit from us so better than Celebrity's pricing.".

This is the 3rd cruise we booked thru her this year.

What should I do?

Very unprofessional of the TA to mention "lower profits". They could have worded it in a better way and informed you that the discounted price will not include the SBC (OBC) and let you make a choice if you wanted the lower price or the OBC.

On one of our repositioning cruises, we went with the lowest price and gave up the agent's OBC.

I agree with a lot of others and would suggest finding a new TA or doing it yourself. As much as I'd like to use a local TA to book the reality is that at least for me they provide very little extra value these days. All 3 TAs and X all quoted the same price for the cabin so it really just boiled down to which one offered the best perks.

I'm not expecting a dedicated personal assistant, but at the end of the day the one that provides me with the best value will get my business, and if it isn't price then the service needs to be at least a step above the competition.

Don't forget comparing TAs that charge a cancellation/change fee and those that don't. Also one TA I've used would not help on airfare while another I use will book through a consolidator, cruise line air or direct with the air carrier...whichever gives me the best pricing. They also give better perks than many TAs. If perks are equal, I then take into account these factors...especially on an international itinerary.

I would make a comparison table

Celebrity on line Price

Price from Travel Agent

OBC from Celebrity

OBC from Travel Agent

I would compare your initial booking and your new booking. If you are a CC member do not forget the free one category upgrade.

In all my Celebrity cases the Celebrity on line price and the Travel Agent price is always the same. Therefore I am usually just comparing the OBC. I understand from some people that this not always the case.

When the Celebrity price changes the Travel Agent's OBC usually changes because it is based on a percentage. The Celebrity OBC never affects the Travel Agent OBC in my cases.

If the numbers do not make sense than I would change Travel Agents, but I would make sure that I understood the numbers.

If you want to give us all your numbers we can help you compare.

Good luck.

I emailed her back yesterday stating that I was disappointed in the 20 / 80 split with her on celebrity's new lower price. so far no reply back.... If it stands, her increased commish will be her last from me.

Did you do the comparison that I suggested above? The numbers can get confusing.

In fairness to the Travel Agent, but you might be confused about the numbers if you do not perform the full comparison.

Did you do the comparison that I suggested above? The numbers can get confusing.

In fairness to the Travel Agent, but you might be confused about the numbers if you do not perform the full comparison.

the only comparison I did was when I first booked the cruise. I checked Celebrity.com and her. No other Travel agents.... But that WILL change on future cruises.

I remember on our Australian cruise three years ago, we dined at fixed dining and had four couples that all had booked balcony cabins.

Two of the couples had booked through an online TA, one other direct, as we booked direct. We had a prime hump balcony cabin with large balcony.

We compared prices for what we paid. We had paid the lowest, since I noticed three price drops and apparently, the others didn't keep up with price drops as much. The TAs didn't do squat for their clients. One with a TA has seen one price drop and it took them two weeks to book the lower fare.

I know that others may pay a little less than I do by going through a TA, but I control my reservation and get all the price drops that take place.

Also, I book early and frequently, I check the online TAs and my cruise is usually not even listed for sale.

the only comparison I did was when I first booked the cruise. I checked Celebrity.com and her. No other Travel agents.... But that WILL change on future cruises.

You said she initially gave you a discount off X's fare of $1549pp, so what was your original pp rate? Or are you saying that was the discounted rate? If so, that's not what is down historically for your 2D cabin when I looked at a certain monitoring site - the price for a 2D cabin shows $1549pp with a recent drop to the $1499.

I'm just a little confused with what total pp is on your current booking? Is it $1529 pp with $75 OBC? If so, your difference from booking direct with X is $15 in OBC. Or is it something totally different?

Correct, you can't get the one category upgrade to a C1 and only pay for a C2 (believe me, I've tried on several occasions :D) - it's excluded from the CC offer, along with FVs and a few others (see below for full details, copied from the X website ;)):

'One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.'

After completing a booking (be it with X or a TA) you let them know you would like to use the Captains Club benefit? Always wondered.. :)

After completing a booking (be it with X or a TA) you let them know you would like to use the Captains Club benefit? Always wondered.. :)

You ask for the lower category pricing when you initially book e.g. pay a 2C rate and choose your 2B location ;).

You ask for the lower category pricing when you initially book e.g. pay a 2C rate and choose your 2B location ;).

Thanks! So calling is the way to go? We always book online, to avoid anything lost in translation and timezone differences etc.

Thinking that we will stick to X after the upcoming cruise. :)

re: Captians Club upgrades: I have booked the desired stateroom, then called for a price adjustment to the next lower category (same type of stateroom, i.e. veranda to veranda or outside to outside). If the next category up is not available, I have booked the lower one and called when I saw that an upgrade was available. A great TA will regularly check for CC upgrades for you if you request this. ;)

re: Commissions and OBC etc.: travel agencies without a lot of booking volume with any particular cruise line get a MUCH lower commission, which is why it is hard for them to offer perks like a high volume agency is offering. And the agent is only getting a percentage of the commission unless they are the agency owner. So if you are offered less it's not because they are not being generous. They may be generous in other ways by offering their time and services to help clients with questions, on-board reservations, hotels, online check-in, documents, etc. If you don't need any help and have the time to do all of these things for yourself, go with the agency that gives you more money in your pocket.

Edited by royalcruz

I've always taken the position that I won't work for free so my expectation is that no one will work for free for me. We've pretty low maintenance and will make the booking ourselves with Celebrity, getting the room we want, and available perks from Celebrity. We then shop the booking and move the booking to the Travel Agent that gives us the best deal.

If we then ask the T.A. to follow pricing, make shore excursion reservations, speciality restaurant reservations, and hold our hand through the process, I would expect they need to be compensated for that. I would.

For those who expect the T.A. to give up more than 10% when their commission won't be 15%, I suspect they will find themselves de-marketed by their T.A.

A deal has to be fair for both parties, the T.A. needs to be paid too.