Walking Shoes Recommendation

westerngardener

Last time I went to Europe, I bought SAS runners and they were excellent.

Ladies: Looking for recommendations on comfortable shoes for traipsing on those cobblestone, etc. Found references earlier on CC, but can't seem to find them now that I'm in the mood to go shopping

Ladies: Looking for recommendations on comfortable shoes for traipsing on those cobblestone, etc. Found references earlier on CC, but can't seem to find them now that I'm in the mood to go shopping

I have Skechers....some are better than others; Tevas, Keen, Merrell, and Clark's Privo's, which have little nubbins which massage my feet. It all depends on the time of year, but anything good for hiking is going to be good for sightseeing!

Robin

For hot weather: ecco walking sandals

I wear Nike sneakers, but some people don't find them comfy. You need to try your shoes on and wear them a while before you take them on a trip, any brand, any model.

I also have a Hotter catalog with leather shoes, but I haven't bought any yet.

Check the FASHION FORUM:)....tons of threads over there about shoes....

walking shoes, sandals, heels, name a type of shoe and it will be over

on that forum:D

I wore a pair of Merrell's when I sailed back in April....very comfy and

supportive.

I walked all over Spain & Provence in a pair of Kate Spade sneakers(much nicer than regular sneakers) However the best thing I did was use a pair of Dr.Scholls inserts-the type that you measure for at the Dr.Scholls machine (Bed Bath etc). The inserts fit my casual and dress shoes.

Carole

Whatever is comfortable for YOU to walk in is the answer, right? :D

For me for summer, Dansko sandals (I have a pair of Elena I adore - will cry copiously when they finally die as I haven't found a good replacement) I also love Ecco (but not all fit), Taos, and Birkenstock (though not for long walks as I prefer the open versions and they don't give the best support in uneven ground).

For winter (normally we tour cooler/wet places in fall & winter so I'm better here:p) I have some Keen boots that are great (can't wear the sandals but if I go up a half size, the boots are great) and some Haflog goretex walking shoes (husband has some as well) He loves Merrell. I haven't had much luck with them in the past few years since they changed their last. I also have some Privo & ECCO mary janes & loafers.

Thanks all. Great getting these ideas. So many brands I've never heard of, perhaps not available in Canada. No matter, off to the U.S. soon.:)

I don't know about Vancouver, but both Naot and Finn Comfort are available in Toronto. (Finn Comfort are very expensive, and are available at some, but not all, Walking on a Cloud locations. I believe that you can also get Naot shoes there.)

You have to try on walking shoes, and buy them well before you leave or you are likely to have issues. I have the feet of the princess and the pea, and I am VERY picky about walking shoes. I use New Balance 928s with good socks for any real walking. I wear sandals only for very short distances.

A new pair of SAS (San Antonio Shoes - from Texas) "Time Out" walkers for each trip works great for me. No aching feet or blisters. Great arch support. :)

I wear only new shoes because after a couple of weeks of heavy walking, the support isn't as great. For these, no breaking in is needed.

Edited by xmaser
added info

I have walked many miles in ecco shoes. I spent 6 weeks this summer in Europe including 2 cruises. I took ecco ties(rubber soles), ecco sandals, ecco flats, and a pair of rubber flip flops( for the shower and use as slippers). My feet never hurt.

Whatever shoes you choose, wear them begore you leave home. Spend a day walking. If your feet hurt, don't take them on a trip.

I don't know about Vancouver, but both Naot and Finn Comfort are available in Toronto. (Finn Comfort are very expensive, and are available at some, but not all, Walking on a Cloud locations. I believe that you can also get Naot shoes there.)

You have to try on walking shoes, and buy them well before you leave or you are likely to have issues. I have the feet of the princess and the pea, and I am VERY picky about walking shoes. I use New Balance 928s with good socks for any real walking. I wear sandals only for very short distances.

I actually live on the Sunshine Coast of B.C. and visit Vancouver every two weeks or so. In the past, I've found Vancouver severely lacking in shoes of certain makes. If you do find what you're looking for, prices are ridiculously high in comparison to the U.S. I used to live in Toronto and sure do miss the selection of pretty well everything. I don't mind paying top $ for what I want.

Brooks. They have the "Addiction" walker and the even more supportive "Aria". I was already wearing them when my foot doctor said that "Aria" is what he recommends to his patients. I have post tibia tendon syndrome (where your ankle collapses inward) and these provide maximum support.

Ecco shoes are very well made and use high quality materials. The important detail is that the soles are bumpy which are necessary for walking on the European cobblestone streets without slipping. Ecco has a vast array of styles for both men and women. Try different styles on to see what suits your foot type best. I don't know about shipping to Canada but there are several internet sites that sell shoes with free shipping and free returns.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ecco and Naot are among my favorites for lots of miles on cobblestones and uneven pavement. For walking sandals, my Taos have served me well.

For winter in Europe, my Merrell waterproof boots are a winner as well as my Sorel's. I generally add an additional supportive insole as well.