Best currency for NZ

To echo above - NZ Dollars.

You may find some touristy places that will take AUD at par, which means you're giving up about 6% at current exchange rates. Same way that some Canadian establishments take USD at par. :D

Not to worry, there are plenty of banks, currency exchanges and ATMs in NZ.

We're on the HAL Sydney to Auckland 14 day cruise and of course will have Australian $$ for our land trip...but what should we have with us for the 14 days around NZ? Any ideas cruise buddies?

I bet you'll actually know the answer to this question if you reread it to yourself out loud.

We're on the HAL Sydney to Auckland 14 day cruise and of course will have Australian $$ for our land trip...but what should we have with us for the 14 days around NZ? Any ideas cruise buddies?

Definitely use NZ dollars just like we would use Australian currency when in Australia.

I'm going to hazard a guess,and go out on a limb. NZ DOLLARS.:eek::);):)

Thanks to those who were gracious in their replies. As a Canadian we've been able to use US$ in Mexico, in Europe and even in Japan....so since this is my first trip 'down under' and we somewhat class (NZ/OZ) as sister countries (whether that's right or not) I simply wanted to check and see if the same type of currency at par applied. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to those of you north of the 49th parallel.

They will take Aus$ but exchange at 1:1

Not so sure that most places would do that

The exchange rate is close to parity these days so nothing in it for them to accept A$

To the OP - it's NZ$ or a credit card - it would be like you going to the US and asking merchants to accept C$

The exchange rate is close to parity these days so nothing in it for them to accept A$

To the OP - it's NZ$ or a credit card - it would be like you going to the US and asking merchants to accept C$

When I was there last year many places were still taking AUS$ at 1:1 but giving change in NZ$.

6%

Given what rate of return you get on an ordinary savings deposit, that's huge!!

Plus, they can save them for when they holiday on the west side of the Tasman.

Last year in Akaroa while we were in a shop waiting to be served, the shop assistant refused to accept British pounds and Australian Dollars from the customer in front of us, she eventually got NZ dollars out of her purse to pay for the items.

So, please use NZ dollars.

Last year in Akaroa while we were in a shop waiting to be served, the shop assistant refused to accept British pounds and Australian Dollars from the customer in front of us, she eventually got NZ dollars out of her purse to pay for the items.

So, please use NZ dollars.

I just cannot understand the mentality of someone who is visiting country A and tries to buy goods using the currency of country B or country C. What were they thinking:confused:

Did they not know which country they were in????

Thanks to those who were gracious in their replies. As a Canadian we've been able to use US$ in Mexico, in Europe and even in Japan....so since this is my first trip 'down under' and we somewhat class (NZ/OZ) as sister countries (whether that's right or not) I simply wanted to check and see if the same type of currency at par applied. Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to those of you north of the 49th parallel.

They're over thousand miles apart.

They're over thousand miles apart.

Three hours flying and a very large Tasman Sea

But having said that don't underestimate the spirit of the ANZACs - like many neighbours they are fiercely competitive and independent - but rest assured they are strong allies even if they love to compete

But there is no merged currency or open doors immigration policies

Edited by Bodogbodog

I just cannot understand the mentality of someone who is visiting country A and tries to buy goods using the currency of country B or country C. What were they thinking:confused:

Did they not know which country they were in????

She knew she was in New Zealand, I thought the shop assistant was very patient with her.

She knew she was in New Zealand, I thought the shop assistant was very patient with her.

I still cringe when I remember the confrontation in Ireland when a woman insisted she wanted to pay for a postcard with Australian dollars. Same woman put Australian stamps on her postcards and posted them in Hawaii. Go figure.