Primary voting????

lahlah57

Sailing on oct 24th and return nov 9th. Does anyone know when the ballots will be received if you are a permanent mail in? Concerned if I will miss this debacle of an election :confused:

Not wishing to start a political discussion just worried about my vote counting.

Sailing on oct 24th and return nov 9th. Does anyone know when the ballots will be received if you are a permanent mail in? Concerned if I will miss this debacle of an election :confused:

Not wishing to start a political discussion just worried about my vote counting.

I live in California and received my mail-in ballot last week (Thursday I think). You might want to call your county registrar to check.

It's not primary voting. Call your county and find out when they have in person early voting and where. Some states are already voting. Some places also have in person absentee ballot voting. A few phone calls should give you options.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We received our Ballots in South West Florida several weeks ago.:). Each state &/or perhaps county may have different election rules.. You should contact the Supvr. of Elections where you live to find this info..

Edited by serendipity1499

It not only depends on what state you live in, but also what county. Each county is responsible for sending out absentee ballots. I have not received mine yet here in Utah, but other people in Utah have, because they live in different counties.

Generally, more people than ever are asking for absentee ballots, and each county is struggling with getting them out, with their limited budgets.

I have already voted. I received my Massachusetts ballot two weeks ago and then received an email telling me that my vote had been received.

I am one of one million Canadians eligible to vote in US elections.

Agree with the other Californiavoters, as that is where you live, that absentee ballots came out in the last few days- we got ours Thursday. News reported they were mailed by many counties last Monday.

As you still have a week, I think it likely you will get yours in the next day or 3.

You posted on 16 October. Isn't your primary election over by now?

DON

I live in NM and they started mailing out absentee ballots last Tuesday.

Since we'll be cruising on election day, hubby and I did early voting on Friday at County Clerk's office.

Edited by NMLady

I voted by shut-in ballot, which follows the same schedule as absentee ballots in my state. The application must be filed here by October 18, and ballots are sent out. They started sending them a couple of weeks ago; I received my on Wednesday of this week, and put it in the mail yesterday. It has to be received by Election Day.

But every state (or in some cases counties or municipalities, I suppose) can run the operation a little differently. It is imperative that you know the rules in your state/county/municipality, and follow them. Your local board of canvassers, or similar (depending on where you are) is the one to be in contact with. They will explain the procedure.

I have already voted. I received my Massachusetts ballot two weeks ago and then received an email telling me that my vote had been received.

Have to ask why one million Canadians get to vote in US elections?

Have to ask why one million Canadians get to vote in US elections?

It is largely due to the "border babies". Back in the days before Medicare was introduced in Canada, it was common that in the small border towns, the closest hospital was on the American side so Canadian mothers routinely had their babies in the States. This doesn't happen as a routine anymore but all those border babies are considered US citizens and are eligible to vote.

In my in case, my father was a Canadian university student who had a summer job in the states. I was born during that period and returned home to Canada when I was a few weeks old. I am also a Canadian citizen.

Edited by sapper1

Thankyou everyone for getting me straight.....was looking at my info booklet and saw "primary"......so yes, the general election.

I have the number in my phone and will get on it today! Don't get why my voting packet never showed up......it is an obvious peice of mail! :confused:

How much dcould you have know abougt the ballot questions to be a resp[onsible infomed voter?

This fasciintes me how youcould vote responsibly. YES< for preident this go round, , this was such an unusual presidential the campaign has garnered enattention and news and went on for so long, many around the f world have a 'working knowledge' of who they would choos.e

HOW CAN YOU KNOW HOW TO VOTE FFR THE BALLOT QUESTIONS? oUR STATE HAS FOUR THIS YEAR AND seeyou don'g li ve here or VISIT OFTEN, YOU DON't HAVE MUCH FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE.

hOW Can you votefor a State Leislator?

OI frhink you get my dirift. It's ridiculous 'loophole thav needs to be examined, IMO. What you vote, impacts, us but not you. I think this is something that mut be stopped and gthe sooner the better. Maqybe well have it on your nexxt ballot.

t y. :D I think the expression no skin in the game might fit?

Any thoughts come into your mind about this?

Edited by sail7seas

How much dcould you have know abougt the ballot questions to be a resp[onsible infomed voter?

This fasciintes me how youcould vote responsibly. YES< for preident this go round, , this was such an unusual presidential the campaign has garnered enattention and news and went on for so long, many around the f world have a 'working knowledge' of who they would choos.e

HOW CAN YOU KNOW HOW TO VOTE FFR THE BALLOT QUESTIONS? oUR STATE HAS FOUR THIS YEAR AND seeyou don'g li ve here or VISIT OFTEN, YOU DON't HAVE MUCH FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE.

OI frhink you get my dirift. It's ridiculous 'loophole thav needs to be examined, IMO. What you vote, impacts, us but not you. I think this is something that mut be stopped and gthe sooner the better. Maqybe well have it on your nexxt ballot.

I think I get the gist of what you are trying to say--- At least I tried hard.

First and foremost, I am an American citizen and last time I checked there was no two tiered level of citizenship. My right to vote is not a loophole. As long as your IRS requires me to have a Social Security number and file an FBAR every year then I refuse to feel any guilt about voting.

Secondly, I have absolutely no knowledge or interest in state politics so I don't vote on issues that don't concern me. Why would you insult me without knowing? I will admit to voting on the referendum re animal cruelty because preventing that knows no boundaries.

The result of a presidential election always affects Canada so I do have skin that game.

It may interest you to know that the US Consulate in Halifax is encouraging all Maritimers with dual citizenship to vote in the American election.

Edited by sapper1

An interesting post. I might have agreed with you in the distant past, but in the Internet age, US citizens living abroad can acquire more than adequate knowledge of their candidates to make an educated decision and vote accordingly.

To state that US election results have no impact on Canadians is to ignore the reality of such issues as free trade and pipeline, just to mention a couple. Obviously, the impact is far broader for US residents, but never think that what happens in US politics has no bearing on Canada.

An interesting post. I might have agreed with you in the distant past, but in the Internet age, US citizens living abroad can acquire more than adequate knowledge of their candidates to make an educated decision and vote accordingly.

They can get a biogbraphy, aphoto, vbutgt no personal knowlecged of a stagtge legislaggtor, a candicatge for Congressands more pertinent, how many psned 30 sec ondcs of more doing so? My guess s WOULD BE A eblly laugh. The impac tg of whichevver icandidage fvor MSA sagtagte legislagtor wins is non -exissggtangtg go any C anadian who does nogtt liv e in MA>

Edited by sail7seas