Buying Artwork

lbfluffy

We enjoy walking through the art gallery section of the ship and having a good laugh at the so-called art. :eek: :D

I'm confused. The art is laughable. The people who buy it

are buffoons who only do it for the free champagne, etc.

Yet, it is a huge money maker on the ship, with lots of space

allocated to it; berthing areas for several employees, etc.

Unless it is dogs playing poker.

Or a nice elvis on velvet.

One of the original dogs playing poker(there were a few)went for a few hundred K. a few years back, so yeah there was value in that. Velvet Elvis? Wasn't that a band once?(joke, son!)

I'm confused. The art is laughable. The people who buy it

are buffoons who only do it for the free champagne, etc.

Yet, it is a huge money maker on the ship, with lots of space

allocated to it; berthing areas for several employees, etc.

What was it that PT Barnum used to say? Oh yeah, "There's a Sucker born Every Minute!"

Amazing the amount of "suckers" I see on cruise ships. The worst of them still buy "Thomas Kinkaid" prints. We used to call him "The Painter of Garbage"!

Art is in the eyes of the beholder-one should not criticize what another person likes-it should not be bought for anticipated profit but appreciated by the owner. I have purchased numerous art work in the past and have no regrets-and some of my art work has appreciated handsomely but I have no intentions to buy.

I find people who criticize what others do with there money are the same ones who want everything for free-never give tips-drink all of the time and never treat there spouses to spas-perfumes-etc.

Last cruise, DW and I both won Treasure Hunt prizes. Each prize was a $100 certificate that could be used for an art sale. Thinking we could combine the certificates and save $200 off a small piece, off we went. First we perused the gallery and talked with one of the staff. He learned that at home we had some very nice pieces (not from a ship) and next thing we knew, we were VIPs with a special "early viewing" and a reserved table for the first auction.

At the early viewing we learned our certificates could not be combined. Coupled with the realization that there was nothing we really wanted, we left before the event started and returned the certificates to the Art Director.

Winning those certificates was more like losing some time on board enjoying another activity...

We sometimes go to the art auctions because they are amusing, but they are high pressure sales, and the art is dubious in its value. Even when you win a free print the cost of the shipping means you have a Wal Mart quality poster for a significant price. Buyer beware. I am shocked that some people will spend so much money on something that they know very little about.

We have bought one small piece because we won the $500 gift certificate on the cruise. The shipping was not included, but it was all I had to pay. I checked the piece on the internet and I got a great deal (because of the $500 off) on a piece of art that I liked. Say what you want about the art, but Park West has quite good value on its frames and matting.

I say to anyone making a blanket statement about what people are like that go to an auction. Calling people buffoons etc. is rude. People go for various reasons. Many go for the amusement of it. Others actually know what they are doing (not really us - that is why we do not buy). Some people just like auctions or art. Yes, some are unfortunately duped, and Park West is very good at pushing peoples' buttons to get them to buy.

The one thing I would say, very few go for the champagne - it is truly awful

What was it that PT Barnum used to say? Oh yeah, "There's a Sucker born Every Minute!"

Amazing the amount of "suckers" I see on cruise ships. The worst of them still buy "Thomas Kinkaid" prints. We used to call him "The Painter of Garbage"!

Luminous garbage however.

DON

With Park West, the experience is completely different than when the program was Princess' Global Fine Arts. It is now high pressure and tries to get people to commit to a purchase without understanding what it is they are buying. Park West claims hand embellished limited edition prints are "originals". Not by my definition. If you want originals then look for art work that is unique or one of a kind.

Most artworks have an edition number on the front for a limited edition print. Not with all of the pictures Park West sells. We saw one that appeared to be to be an original at a good price but during our questioning turned out to be one of an addition of 450 copies that were embellished.

We buy art we like, not as an investment. Since Park West took over, we haven't liked the prices so we haven't bought the art. We do enjoy watching the auctions, but don't enjoy the Park West assistants coming by and insisting we register to get a bid card and why are we there if we aren't making a purchase.

Their prices usually aren't competitive. We collect artists such as Wyland, Martiros, Peter Max, and Michael Godard and we bring along price lists of recently sold art works by these artists as well as prices for originals in land based galleries so we can compare similar size and style pieces. With Park West, they have few unique originals for most of these artists (for Wyland they carry none) except Max, and the land based galleries are usually a better deal.

When Park West bought out the Princess run program, the art prices for what we always called originals went up about 50 to 100%. That was in a four month period.

So in our opinion, is it worth checking out the art auctions? Yes, for the sheer entertainment. It's not worth going if you want the cheap ship champagne because you get one glass at most. For the champagne it is easier to win it at one of the games on board than drink at the auction.

Also check the art. They were selling art that was supposed to be a limited edition print from a deceased artist, but when it arrived at our friends house, turned out it was an Estate issued print that wasn't even hand signed by the artist. So check carefully all the fine print before you buy.

And know the term Regular lot. When they say that, it means it doesn't include framing. So it may be cheap at first glance, but the framing will drive the price up. My mom loves Thomas Kinkade who is hugely mass produced. Park West claims their prices are the same as when Princess sold them, but Princess price includes the framing and Park West does not. So that add on a few hundred per print.

As far as our background with Park West, we are still invited to the VIP section when we board based on our old purchases from Princess Global Fine Arts program, and we are invited to one of their VIP land auction events every quarter ( we don't attend those).

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

With Park West, the experience is completely different than when the program was Princess' Global Fine Arts. It is now high pressure and tries to get people to commit to a purchase without understanding what it is they are buying. Park West claims hand embellished limited edition prints are "originals". Not by my definition. If you want originals then look for art work that is unique or one of a kind.

Most artworks have an edition number on the front for a limited edition print. Not with all of the pictures Park West sells. We saw one that appeared to be to be an original at a good price but during our questioning turned out to be one of an addition of 450 copies that were embellished.

We buy art we like, not as an investment. Since Park West took over, we haven't liked the prices so we haven't bought the art. We do enjoy watching the auctions, but don't enjoy the Park West assistants coming by and insisting we register to get a bid card and why are we there if we aren't making a purchase.

Their prices usually aren't competitive. We collect artists such as Wyland, Martiros, Peter Max, and Michael Godard and we bring along price lists of recently sold art works by these artists as well as prices for originals in land based galleries so we can compare similar size and style pieces. With Park West, they have few unique originals for most of these artists (for Wyland they carry none) except Max, and the land based galleries are usually a better deal.

When Park West bought out the Princess run program, the art prices for what we always called originals went up about 50 to 100%. That was in a four month period.

So in our opinion, is it worth checking out the art auctions? Yes, for the sheer entertainment. It's not worth going if you want the cheap ship champagne because you get one glass at most. For the champagne it is easier to win it at one of the games on board than drink at the auction.

Also check the art. They were selling art that was supposed to be a limited edition print from a deceased artist, but when it arrived at our friends house, turned out it was an Estate issued print that wasn't even hand signed by the artist. So check carefully all the fine print before you buy.

And know the term Regular lot. When they say that, it means it doesn't include framing. So it may be cheap at first glance, but the framing will drive the price up. My mom loves Thomas Kinkade who is hugely mass produced. Park West claims their prices are the same as when Princess sold them, but Princess price includes the framing and Park West does not. So that add on a few hundred per print.

As far as our background with Park West, we are still invited to the VIP section when we board based on our old purchases from Princess Global Fine Arts program, and we are invited to one of their VIP land auction events every quarter ( we don't attend those).

Great review. We have also purchased a few pieces.. and at great value I might add, but it was back when it was PFA. I only went to one Park West "event" and the atmosphere was like 180 degrees off. At least with PFA one got, at least IMO, a low key review of some of the background on the artist or piece. I didn't hear much of that with PW. I can't comment on prices, since I've yet seen a piece that has our interest. However, I will do a walk through, and if I do see one, I figure that I can go right to the gallery and discuss the piece I'm interested in directly. But again, no clue on pricing.

For the record, I do agree that framing used to be a great value with PFA. No clue, yet, with PW. AND I am still enjoying my Wyland and other pieces.. too bad I have to buy them from galleries now and not on the ships.

Luminous garbage however.

DON

I had no problem with his original art(a bit smaltzy, perhaps)It was the part on the 60 Minutes show that showed amateur artists adding a few "brush strokes" to a Giclee and having these pieces of "art" being sold for hundreds of $$.

I understand why you're treated to VIP events with Park West...You're what is referred to as a "Pigeon"

Wow after reading the posts, I feel pretty dumb. We love what we purchased and looks amazing in our home, but I realize we got caught up in it. But we only went once and purchased too much, but lesson learned. We have not set foot in an art auction since.

We went just to see what the hype was about.

First off, they didn't serve champagne until halfway through the auction. Well after we left.

Secondly, they had it set up very strangely and there were not enough seats for people. I'm guessing they do that on purpose so you feel like it's a VERY popular event even though really it's the same as other things are.

We could hardly see and the auctioneer just had this very bizarre intro.

He introduced himself, and then points to his assistant, and announces to the whole entire world like a 15 year old boy that she is his "BEAUTIFUL GIRLFRIEND!!" uhhh.... what?

Now mind you these people were in their late 20's from what we could tell. and he was in a WORK setting. and how is her being his girlfriend relevant?

We left after they did the first viewing walkthrough thing.

I don't think making fun of people for liking mass produced art is right. It's still art, and if you don't like it, that's okay. But mocking someone for buying a Kinkaide or whatever is just rude.

Also mocking people for buying at these auctions is also rude. Not everyone can be "Educated" about everything all the time.

Personally I would not buy anything from the auctions because I would prefer to just buy from the artist or their trust instead. That way THEY get the profits, not the cruise line.

I liked the Guy Harvey sea creature prints a lot. But he has his own website, so it's easier to just get them on there.

Interesting you mention him - he has a gallery in a little artsy town in the hills near the LBJ Ranch in Texas. And the prices are about the same as, or a little more than I've seen onboard ship.

I did a lot of comparison pricing before Park West took over the art sales on Princess ships and back then the prices were comparable or a little better than what one could find in a gallery or legitimate online dealer in the USA or France.

We don't like the sales hype that PW promotes, so haven't bought anything since they took over.

We enjoy walking through the art gallery section of the ship and having a good laugh at the so-called art. :eek: :D

We play a little game called "Dead Rat." Where in this picture could you paint a dead rat? Lots of fun, especially with those olives and martini pictures.

Last cruise, DW and I both won Treasure Hunt prizes. Each prize was a $100 certificate that could be used for an art sale. Thinking we could combine the certificates and save $200 off a small piece, off we went. First we perused the gallery and talked with one of the staff. He learned that at home we had some very nice pieces (not from a ship) and next thing we knew, we were VIPs with a special "early viewing" and a reserved table for the first auction.

At the early viewing we learned our certificates could not be combined. Coupled with the realization that there was nothing we really wanted, we left before the event started and returned the certificates to the Art Director.

Winning those certificates was more like losing some time on board enjoying another activity...

I think this post rather sums everything up.

Like others I've thought if the artwork was so good then why the heck was it being sold on a ship. And of course the cruise line knows when people are on holidays they may be more relaxed and open the purse strings.

I love our art, and we did get great deals, but the frames are the big expense. Luckily not all had to be customed framed, plus I get to use the 40 percent coupon off one regularly priced item.

Before you do that, go to a local second hand store to see if they have "art" somebody discarded, and use that frame.

The last cruise we were on I saw a piece of art with a golden retriever in it titled Rainbow Bridge, representing when our dogs leave us. I fell in love with it, but the logical side of me knew I couldn't make another error. At that time I still had my unframed art in tubes.

Our of curiosity I Googled "Rainbow Bridge Painting". Prints start from $22 - and on the ship they don't hide that they sell prints. Now I wonder how much they charge on the ship. I will have to see it on the next cruise - unless somebody knows?

http://fineartamerica.com/art/paintings/rainbow+bridge

Wow after reading the posts, I feel pretty dumb. We love what we purchased and looks amazing in our home, but I realize we got caught up in it. But we only went once and purchased too much, but lesson learned. We have not set foot in an art auction since.

For all of those wonderful cruisers who buy "priceless art" on a cruise ship PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND A TIMESHARE PRESENTATION WHILE IN PORT!!! :):D:eek:

IMHO - the Princess art program does more damage to the Princess brand than CCL Corp/Princess appreciates.

My questions for CCL/Princess that will never be answered....

Does the art staff really need to display the art, on auction day, along the seating outside the Explorer's Bar aisle and block 20+ Promenade window seats?

Does the art staff really need to PA announce every other day "the final, final art auction" across the whole ship?

Does the art staff really need to put mail in my stateroom mail box 2 or 3 times each week that goes directly into the trash?

The actions above - are just offensive.

From conversations on board it is clear that Princess swaps the physical space and on-board support for some cash payment from a non CCL/Princess owned vendor. Art auction staff do not work for CCL/Princess - my cruise last week evidenced an art auction person with a "man-bun". Art staff do not even need to adhere to Princess dress standards.

Again, IMHO, CCL/Princess really needs to find a product more compatible with their brand and their customer's demographics.

Edited by tcdcruiser