Arriving in Fort Lauderdale - questions about process

stamfordian

We shall be arriving, for the first time, in Fort Lauderdale at the end of a forthcoming Transatlantic crossing. Have never landed there before. Can any regulars fill us in on the process compared to, say, New York/Brooklyn?

We are on Seabourn - so only max of 450 passengers. Are there likely to be long lines at Border control and Customs? We will be renting a car for which I understand we will have to go to the car hire centre at FLL Hollywood airport. Are there shuttle buses to there or do we have to take a cab?

How difficult is it to get cabs from the terminal? I obviously realise that will vary depending on how many cruise ships are arriving at same time.

Have not yet booked our car hire; seem may be better prices from some of the smaller companies who don't operate at the airport but have off-site locations. Is it easy to get to them and if so, how?

Although we are experienced cruisers in many other parts of the world, this is a new experience for us so would welcome input from others who have used Fort Lauderdale previously. Many thanks.

Checking on the Florida Departures board will get you the info on locations of car rentals, as well as lots of other info on your questions.

Taxis are VERY common and available. Unlikely you will have any problems getting a taxi.

Immigration and Customs can be a little problematic at Ft Lauderdale. As you are a small ship, you may be assigned a small number of agents, which may lead to a slower process. But it won't take hours. As your arrival is the ship's first time in the US in a while, extra procedures are usually required, but those are mostly behind the scenes.

We shall be arriving, for the first time, in Fort Lauderdale at the end of a forthcoming Transatlantic crossing. Have never landed there before. Can any regulars fill us in on the process compared to, say, New York/Brooklyn?

We are on Seabourn - so only max of 450 passengers. Are there likely to be long lines at Border control and Customs? We will be renting a car for which I understand we will have to go to the car hire centre at FLL Hollywood airport. Are there shuttle buses to there or do we have to take a cab?

Customs is as you disembark and is dedicated for each ship and will be staffed accordingly, so the lines will only be as long as the passenger load on board. With only 450 passengers I would think the process will be rather quick and easy. A cab would be the easiest and least costly way to get to FLL, which is only a couple of miles away and less than $20 per cab.

How difficult is it to get cabs from the terminal? I obviously realise that will vary depending on how many cruise ships are arriving at same time.

The cabs also are available for each ship at each terminal. While there will likely be less for a smaller ship, they will still be available and not require much wait.

Have not yet booked our car hire; seem may be better prices from some of the smaller companies who don't operate at the airport but have off-site locations. Is it easy to get to them and if so, how?

It is more convenient to rent at the airport and IMO better through a larger brand company. Not sure about smaller ones off site or how to get there. It would probably require a separate cab if they do not provide a shuttle or just go there directly from the ship by cab.

Although we are experienced cruisers in many other parts of the world, this is a new experience for us so would welcome input from others who have used Fort Lauderdale previously. Many thanks.

The port at Ft. Lauderdale is one of the best IMO and well organized. I don't think you will have any issues.

See my answers in red. Enjoy your cruise!

Ft. Lauderdale AND Miami are both pretty easy to navigate...Are you staying a couple days prior to the cruise? If so, a rental car is a good idea. Many rental companies have shuttles to take you to port, after you drop the car.

If you are arriving at the airport, and heading straight to port, SKIP the rental car...take a cab! It's a 10 min. ride...shouldn't cost more than $15...and it's fast and easy!

Edited by cb at sea

Ft. Lauderdale AND Miami are both pretty easy to navigate...Are you staying a couple days prior to the cruise? If so, a rental car is a good idea. Many rental companies have shuttles to take you to port, after you drop the car.

If you are arriving at the airport, and heading straight to port, SKIP the rental car...take a cab! It's a 10 min. ride...shouldn't cost more than $15...and it's fast and easy!

Time to start by actually reading the OP's post. They are arriving in FLL by ship and flying out to parts unknown. EM

They are arriving in FLL by ship and flying out to parts unknown. EM

Nearly right EM! We arrive by ship, then plan to rent a car to spend a few days in Florida before returning car to FLL and flying north.

Does that amend anyone's thinking on what we need to know?

See my answers in red. Enjoy your cruise!

The comment about staffing each ship "appropriately " is misleading. There have been many reports (again, see the Florida Departure board ) of as few a 3 Immigration officials for a ship of 2000+. It depends on the number of ships in port and the number of staff available.

The comment about staffing each ship "appropriately " is misleading. There have been many reports (again, see the Florida Departure board ) of as few a 3 Immigration officials for a ship of 2000+. It depends on the number of ships in port and the number of staff available.

Good point. But in our experience we have not encountered any long delays and I guess I figured even if there was just one officer for a ship of just 450 passengers as indicated by the OP it would not create any real delay.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We did a RT out of Ft. Lauderdale 3 years ago, and Customs was pretty painless. We were given customs forms (by the ship staff) to fill out a day or two before arriving back in FL. I don't remember how many lines there were leaving the ship, but we did not have to wait more than a few minutes (and we were on the enormous Oasis of the Seas, over 6000 passengers). My husband, a Canadian citizen, had to produce both his Canadian passport and his U.S. green card, but we had expected that and it wasn't a problem.

Arriving at Port Everglades is a bit different after a TA. The entire ship has to go through immigration. As the OP is on a smaller ship, there shouldn't be much of a delay. It does tend to affect those who will be getting on the ship for the next cruise. Might take a little longer to board the ship as there could also be a Coast Guard or health dept. inspection. Some of the car rental agencies provide a shuttle. Check out the Florida Ports board for more information on which ones.

Former Stamford Native

Nearly right EM! We arrive by ship, then plan to rent a car to spend a few days in Florida before returning car to FLL and flying north.

Does that amend anyone's thinking on what we need to know?

Doesn't really change anything. If you want to rent off airport, I would suggest Enterprise. If you want a convenience factor then I would rent from one of the big players at the airport, it will make returning the car a bit easier.

Customs on the luxury lines is much easier to deal with than on the mass market lines that most people are talking about in this thread. You are more likely to have about 300 people on board than you are 450 for a crossing, but either way it is a very quick process because you are given a window of about 90 minutes to disembark and it is not a mad rush. there are no groups or colors,etc. Everyone can leave the ship when they want, and people tend to leave in staggered bunches.

Edited by zqvol

Regarding car rental at the Ft Lauderdale port:

There are shuttles available for National/Alamo, Avis/Budget and Hertz. These may or may not go to the airport location, as all of these also have off-airport locations. Confirm when you make your rental reservation.

The major rental agencies have counters in the FLL rental car center. The FLL website lists them all. They have shuttle service from the rental center to/from the various terminals, except for the terminal that is physically connected by skybridge to the rental center.

For other agencies, there is a specially designated area outside the rental center where the individual agencies have shuttles to their off-site locations. I know that Sixt has an off-site location, and that they have some very nice upscale cars (BMW, Audi, MB) at quite reasonable rates.

If you are renting a car, you could use Budget which has a location on 17th street and a free shuttle. Alamo has a bus that picks you up at the port and brings you to the airport car rental location, but you have to have a rental already arranged.

But either way, if you are going to rent a car, there is no need to take a taxi anywhere.

Got off Silhouette yesterday. 2700 or so aboard. 8-9 other large ships in port.

Three CBP agents plus one for the Global Entry priority line. Fast and easy. No line for the several cabs waiting.

I would probably cab to FLL as you plan, will be easier to turn in the car on your way out. Though I did notice a Sixt shuttle from the port to their offsite location...

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums