Fathom cruises going away, but brand remains for excursions

Astro Flyer

While this is the Princess forum, there have been discussions about CCL's Fathom cruise line which is now ceasing operations although some of their social impact tours will still be available on other CCL (Carnival Corporation) cruise lines.

"Fathom, the one-ship cruise line created by Carnival Corp. in 2015 to offer social-impact cruises, will become a shoreside-only experience in mid-2017, a Carnival spokesman said.

The brand's only ship, the Adonia, will be returned to the P&O Cruises fleet in June 2017".

It's failure isn't surprising to me because I've been skeptical about their marketing strategy since the beginning. The Dominican Republic "social impact cruises" (selling for as little as $199 for a 7-day cruise) were not successful but CCL plans to continue sailing to Cuba (starting at $1,800 for a 7-day cruise) as "people-to-people" cruises. However CCL has not designated which CCL cruise line will sail to Cuba...maybe a Princess Sun-class ship or the Pacific Princess could be options.

Here's a link to additional information: http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Fathom-cruises-going-away-but-brand-remains-for-excursions?cid=eltrdb

Edited by Astro Flyer

Since demand was high for the Cuba itinerary, I wonder why they just did not change the weeks with the Dominican itinerary to Cuba ones.

I suspect they see more demand than that small ship can satisfy and/or the cruisers interested in going to Cuba expect more onboard entertainment options than it has.

Since demand was high for the Cuba itinerary, I wonder why they just did not change the weeks with the Dominican itinerary to Cuba ones.

Because then the Public Relations benefit of the DR cruises would be lost.

I thought the benefit to the DR citizens was all rather questionable anyway.

I suspect they see more demand than that small ship can satisfy and/or the cruisers interested in going to Cuba expect more onboard entertainment options than it has.

I am happy that we went in October. It was a wonderful trip and we thought the Adonia was the perfect ship for our itinerary to Cuba. We do not have to be entertained all the time so it worked for us. The Fathom staff works so hard and are truly dedicated to the ideas and purpose of the trip.

Hopefully, Cuba cruises won't become just "junket" trips like those offered to the Bahamas. The culture and people have so much to offer it would be ashamed that people don't go to appreciate those things.

Truthfully, I would not want to go on a larger ship. The infrastructure/security mindset is not there to support a massive influx of people.

P&O is getting a ship back in it's fleet in much better visible shape than when it left. All of the soft goods have been upgraded or replaced. The Adonia is quite lovely now.

Because then the Public Relations benefit of the DR cruises would be lost.

I thought the benefit to the DR citizens was all rather questionable anyway.

I always thought that helping natives to make trinkets or chocolate to sell to tourists was not really the best way to demonstrate volunteerism.

While this is the Princess forum, there have been discussions about CCL's Fathom cruise line which is now ceasing operations although some of their social impact tours will still be available on other CCL (Carnival Corporation) cruise lines.

"Fathom, the one-ship cruise line created by Carnival Corp. in 2015 to offer social-impact cruises, will become a shoreside-only experience in mid-2017, a Carnival spokesman said.

The brand's only ship, the Adonia, will be returned to the P&O Cruises fleet in June 2017".

It's failure isn't surprising to me because I've been skeptical about their marketing strategy since the beginning. The Dominican Republic "social impact cruises" (selling for as little as $199 for a 7-day cruise) were not successful but CCL plans to continue sailing to Cuba (starting at $1,800 for a 7-day cruise) as "people-to-people" cruises. However CCL has not designated which CCL cruise line will sail to Cuba...maybe a Princess Sun-class ship or the Pacific Princess could be options.

Here's a link to additional information: http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Fathom-cruises-going-away-but-brand-remains-for-excursions?cid=eltrdb

I never thought this would catch on and be successful.....

Bob

You know you are absolutely right, it is very patronizing to believe we can teach the natives of another country basic skills, they probably have more and better skills than we do in most respects.

Yes, I believe they already have skills appropriate to their country and culture.

It's pretty presumptuous of us to decide which of our skills, fitting to our country, lifestyle, and culture, they need??

JMO, of course.

The Fathom experiences were added late to the excursion list for our recent Amber Cove stop on the Regal Princess. When I saw that I kind of figured that it might be a replacement for the Fathom cruises.

Edited by azbirdmom

P&O UK put this on their facebook page today -

Good afternoon, as the Fathom experience has been expanded across many Carnival brands sailing to the Dominican Republic and beyond, we are pleased to let you know that we have Adonia, our well loved small ship, sailing a range of discovery itineraries from June 2017

I don't understand what has been expanded to other Carnival brands? I thought it was ceasing. I don't know who ever thought it was a good idea anyway...

I don't understand what has been expanded to other Carnival brands? I thought it was ceasing. I don't know who ever thought it was a good idea anyway...
The "economic development impact activities" previously offered on the Fathom itinerary at Amber Cove have now been added as Shore Excursions on other Carnival Coporation brands that stop at this port.

Keep in mind that the policy of opening up travel to Cuba might be subject to change with the new administration. I would expect that their stance in negotiation with the Cuban government to be more hard line than in the past and as such the improvements in access resulting from presidential orders, might be rescinded.

Edited by RDC1

Even though we have spent 10 days on the ground in Cuba, if I were to visit there again on a ship, onboard entertainment would be my very last focus.

Not surprised.

I always thought that helping natives to make trinkets or chocolate to sell to tourists was not really the best way to demonstrate volunteerism.

Very patronizing

For example, description of the chocolate activity: "One local women’s cooperative is actively involved in the cultivation of organic chocolate (cacao) plants, an important source of income for the Puerto Plata region. As a Fathom™ traveler, you can participate in the complete production cycle: from planting and cultivating the organic cacao trees, to preparing the raw materials, to producing and packaging the final product for sale."

Seems to me that is just free labor for their commercial venture.