What are your ship must do & must eats?

aotmc

I realize everyone has different tastes, but I'm going on my first HAL cruise soon (Mex Riv) and know I won't get to do, see, and eat everything this time around on board.

I wanted to hear about YOUR favorite things to eat and do while on a holland ship?

(Examples: bread pudding in the lido or a walk on the full promenade)

THANK YOU! I have learned so much thus far from you pros :D

Eats: I never miss schnitzel when it's on offer for lunch in the Lido. I also really enjoy the croissants, pain au chocolat, and bran muffins for breakfast in the Lido. The French onion soup in the main dining room is really very good. And though they are not made on the ship, I love the wafer cookies that come with the ice cream desserts in the main dining room. I always ask for extra cookies with my ice cream. I'm not a drinker, but I do love the non-alcoholic grapefruit cosmos in the bars. HAL does non-alcoholic beverages very well. And the hot cocoa from the Explorations Cafe is a real treat, especially on cooler itineraries.

Do: I love to watch sail-away from the Promenade Deck. I prefer Promenade Deck to anywhere else because it's closer to the water and I have an easier time seeing what's going on at the dock. And I rarely miss early morning/sunrise walks around the Promenade Deck, it's best before the ship comes alive in the mornings (between 6-7 am). Sea days will certainly find me in the Ocean Bar with my book. Other times I'm at a table in the Lido with a glass of tea and my book and/or journal.

Well, you must have read it somewhere, but HAL does have a signature bread pudding in the Lido. My DH likes it although any bread pudding is not my taste. I find most of the Lido desserts pretty blah, but the cookies are good. In the MDR (Main Dining Room) the tarts/cobblers are good!

I really enjoyed the saute'ed to order pasta bar on our Alaska cruise last June. Many choices of additions, and we would tell them "lots of this or that" and very little pasta and so not totally blow the diet.

My mom wanted to treat our family group of 8 to something, so I suggested the Canaletto -- it was reasonable and great! So that will be a must-do at least once from now on. If you're on the Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam (maybe the Koningsdam?), lunch in the Tamarindo is also reasonable and nice.

PS: activities -- getting a lounge chair in the Crow's Nest or Explorers Bar (some ships maybe other locations), sequential Happy Hours in the Ocean Bar then Crows Nest (buy one get one of the same for $1), Jazz Trio before dinner and Adagio (classical duet) after dinner. BTW, you can buy a soft drink and get the second for $1 and take one or both to your room, just have them not open the cans.

We actually thought about the OP's questions and came up with a strange answer. We generally are quite satisfied with the food on HAL, but even after nearly 500 days on the line we cannot think of a single food item that is a "must." DW used to love the sandwich station in the Lido, but alas, that is no longer in existence. I used to love the table side Caesar Salad in the Pinnacle....but alas...that is no longer available (unless HAL has put the service back).

And then we started thinking about other cruise lines (we have cruised on 14) and only came up with a few items. Princess Pizza (the best at sea) has long been something both DW and I enjoy. The Escargot on Celebrity (available every day in the MDR) is also a favorite. Years ago Princess (and Sitmar) used to make amazing pasta at tableside stations...and that was terrific...but like many things in cruising that is also long gone. RCCL (now RCI) used to make a fantastic cold Strawberry soup (DW actually go the recipe from their corporate office) but that has long been abandoned because it was too difficult and expensive to make. The new offering is nothing to write home about.

Hank

I used to love the table side Caesar Salad in the Pinnacle....but alas...that is no longer available (unless HAL has put the service back).

They have. Tableside service was missing for only a brief period.

With all the days you sail HAL every year (per your posts), I'm surprised you didn't know that.

If you like breakfast...the Lido's raisin buns and sticky buns are great! (Sticky buns are not where the rest of the breads are, but are usually elsewhere...depends on the ship...worth checking out. I have them instead of any desserts, later (which aren't that good.)

If you have a verandah, be sure to have a few meals there. We have all our breakfasts on our verandah. Room service breakfast is not as good as you can get in the Lido or MDR, but it is so nice not to have to get dressed and rush out. And no need to try to find a table, as you do in Lido.

Also HAL will bring a full dinner from the MDR to your room.

If you don't have a verandah, this doesn't work as well. Having meals on the verandah is one of the reasons we always have one.

must have foods: eggs benedict & bread pudding both in Lido; hot dog and french fries at Dive In at the Terrace Grill, escargo & rack of lamb both in Master Dining Room; steak Diane (if available) or petite fillet & chocolate volcano cake in Pinnacle Grill.:)

must do: at least 1 wine tasting, attend the Indonesian Tea, attend the Crew members show & attend all of the presentations by the show cast in the main show room, have a cocktail or glass of wine on my verandah.:cool:

Raisin buns (I have an ongoing love affair with them - mon petit raisin bun, je t'amour) at breakfast, the schnitzel at lunch in the MDR, corned beef hash w/poached eggs at breakfast, cream of mushroom soup, short ribs (slow cooked and fall of the bone), and pork buco with risotto. Now I'm making myself hungry! A lot of people are fans of the bread pudding. For me it's take it or leave it, but I'm obviously in the minority.

Things I like to do onboard besides eat raisin buns - bingo (illegal in TN so this is the only time I get to play), trivia, hanging out in the Crow's Nest, and walking on the wrap around promenade. I like the BB King's Blues Club, but it is only on a few ships.

Roz

At least once a cruise - often more than once - I will do a cheese plate for dessert in the main dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I order the cheese plate every evening for my dessert! However,I have had "cracker" problems. Sometimes good,oftentimes just saltines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Must walk two miles/day on the Promenade Deck. Must BE on the Promenade Deck for at least one sunset and one sunrise, preferably all :) Must eat Smoked Salmon Benedict. And raisin danish. Must eat at the PG for lunch. Must stand at the aft rail and watch the wake, preferably drinking a good cup of coffee, early in the morning before the crowds appear.

I know everyone raves about the poached eggs, but I'm a big fan of the made-to-order omelet station in the Lido. Had that every morning with a bagel and oh yes one of those sticky raisin buns.

In the dining room, can't go wrong with lamb or duck and I had an oxtail dish (something completely new to me) that was delicious. Try any of the fruit soups too; listed as an appetizer, but they make a great dessert too. Someone mentioned the made-to-order pasta station in the Lido--I discovered that very late in my cruise and wish I'd known about it earlier. I liked checking out the late night buffet even if not partaking.

I really enjoyed hanging out in the Crow's Nest (when quiet) or even better the open sea deck above it (it's open on Maasdam, newer ships I believe have the paneling so less wind but not the same experience) and looking for whales and dolphins.

Falling asleep in a lounger in the library. comfy, and I was hardly the only one. :)

I wish I had spent more time walking around the promenade deck and checking out some of the talks. Also wish I'd ordered room service for something other than breakfast (which as others have stated is inferior in quality to what you'd get in the Lido or MDR). Also wish I'd gotten to play trivia, always seemed to miss it.

So lets put a some of the recent posts in perspective. HAL has eliminated their Eggs Benedict Station (with the new Market Place) and now only have limited eggs benedict with 1 specialty a day. So if you do want Scottish Eggs Benedict...you might have to wait 4 or 5 days until it is offered...if at all. As to the omelet station in the Lido, they will no longer make an omelet with real eggs. HAL uses pasteurized/homogenized eggs that come out of a milk container-like box! When we recently asked (on the Zuiderdam) if they would please make us an omelet with real eggs, the cook said she was no longer permitted to use real eggs for omelets. You can still get a real egg for something that needs a real yoke...such as over easy, poached, etc.

Hank

First night sail-away always calls for a Tropa-Mango-Mojito in the Crows Nest. Ice blended drink with a straw - kind of goofy and festive, only missing the little paper umbrella but this says sail away for us.

Favorite food and drink

1. All the fresh baked breads anywhere - Lido, MDR - with sweet butter.

2. Cold soups in the MDR - often order them for a dessert

3. Sushi has gotten really good - melt in your mouth salmon, or freshly made rolls

4. Dive-In French Fries - go ahead, just eat one

5. Maasdamer cheese wherever it shows up on the cheese menu - Lido/MDR

6. Free hand made chocolates (while they last) during Adagio in the Explorers Lounge

7. Sumatra coffee at the Indonesian tea

8. Little sausages in flaky pastry at the Royal Dutch tea

9. One powder sugar donut - eaten slowly with a knife and fork to make it last

10. Box of Kellogg's granola and serving of plain yogurt DH brings to me and we stock up in the cabin for my in-house breakfast - I bring my own mixing bowl.

11. Fresh oranges in our stateroom

12. The really good and fresh grab and go sandwiches

13. Diner salads when I have eaten too much during the day

14. Fresh fruit plate for dinner dessert

15. Grabbing a bag of popcorn from the Wajang theater late afternoon

Favorite ritual activities:

1. Watching the pilot embark and disembark,

2. Watching the crew throwing the ropes at the dock when we come into port, and watching the dockside rope guys unleash the ship when we leave

3. First night "Listen to the Music" cast introduction show

4. Getting my hair highlighted in the ship's salon

5. Getting dressed for dinner

6. Promenade circuit around the activity decks after dinner listening to the various music venues

7. Finding those $10 items in the shop - cruise wear accessories

8. Talks in the show lounge with the ship officers or entertainers

9. Enrichment lectures on specialty topics

10. Ship sponsored shore excursions

If you like breakfast...the Lido's raisin buns and sticky buns are great! (Sticky buns are not where the rest of the breads are, but are usually elsewhere...depends on the ship...worth checking out. I have them instead of any desserts, later (which aren't that good.)

Sticky buns for me too! janmcn is correct they are not with the other breads but in another section. You may have to hunt for them but they are well worth the time.