U by Uniworld: New River Cruise Line for Millennials

Host Jazzbeau

I can cast doubt if I choose to. What U was conceived as and what it will likely become are two different things. The fact it’s open to all ages and the current price point suggest it will not be a “party cruise”. Add the fact that most 18-35 year olds don’t think “European river cruise” when they are interested in party time.

I doubt you have even read the itinerary as it has not changed as a result of it being opened to all ages - perhaps you should

Break it up! Go to your corners. Come back and play by the rules.

Every once in a while we need a referee. ;) Thanks for stepping in. Normally this is one of the more civil forums.

Roz

• Like 1

I like the late mornings and being able to spend evenings in port. In our case, though, it would be ideal because we love to see places after the tour groups have cleared out rather than because we want to socialize.

• 4 years later...

Anybody remember this venture? Now it appears the pandemic and perhaps the somewhat unusual idea have ended this. In November 2022 Ellen Bettridge was interviewed by this man: https://www.flusskreuzfahrt-entdecker.de/2023/01/15/ceo-ellen-bettridge-über-ihre-gäste-sowie-die-entwicklung-und-zukunft-von-uniworld/

and the response to the question around U by Uniworld was lukewarm. Now according to the article linked above this has been wrapped up and "The A" and "The B" sold. SijFa Cruises announced themselves as the new owners on Facebook earlier this month (7 February): https://www.facebook.com/SijFaCruises/

Anybody heard or read anything?

notamermaid

• Like 1

I notice that SijFa is a Dutch company which explains why they may have taken up the idea, they, the Dutch, are very keen on inclusivity. The Milenial idea was doomed from the start it  looked like it was instigated by someone  straight out of uni to begin with, I mean Millennial not U and the marketing or coloured pencil brigade at Uniworld got sucked in.

Edited by Canal archive

13 hours ago, Roz said:

Seems like Uniworld just wanted it to quietly go away. 

I tend to agree. We say "still und heimlich", meaning quietly and (somewhat) secretively - or away from the public eye... I notice that there is no U by Uniworld website, basically no news about the venture, cannot book anything and the Uniworld website just gives the option of subscribing to a newsletter about U by Uniworld.

SijFa specializes in giving their ships as charter to operators, but I see that "the A" (I think it is her) is already available for booking in a brochure that is sort of visible in the background on the facebook page. Looks like a Dutch agent/operator to me for that cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have a good laugh on these on these threads over Uniworld's attempt to salvage the U program by hosting tattoo and drag queen themed cruises??  This was maybe just before COVID changed our lives?  Lots of good-natured ribbing IIRC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we have a good laugh on these on these threads over Uniworld's attempt to salvage the U program by hosting tattoo and drag queen themed cruises??  This was maybe just before COVID changed our lives?  Lots of good-natured ribbing IIRC.

I remember that.  😁

When U was starting up I was very interested in seeing how the concept would be received.  A slow start but the reviews I read were all positive. Then the pandemic started and that changed everything.  I don't think it is fair to assume U would have been a failure.  Other plans the company had noted such  haven't happened either.  The River Queen was  to be refurbished at the end of 2020 to a super ship. 

RB 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I remember that.  😁

Remember the giggles, too.

2 hours ago, Ritabob said:

I don't think it is fair to assume U would have been a failure.

The start was definitely wobbly but then Uniworld adjusted and it appeared to sort of work. I guess as a kind of niche product it was bound to be hit more than standard river cruises. You are right, the River Queen did not get refurbished. I am actually glad it was delayed. I like her as she is (admittedly, I do not know if the carpets have not suffered a bit too much and need replacing, etc.).

notamermaid

• Like 1

I always wondered how Uniworld, of all brands, decided to go with this idea. It’s actually the antithesis of what the regular Uniworld brand is. 

That said, I think the concept was very good. The marketing only to millennials only I think was a misstep. This brand should be marketed to anyone who wants to go out and have dinner in town each night. Like a no frills floating hotel.  

• Like 2

I agree that if the pandemic didn't hit when it did, Uniworld could have made a go of it.  I was thinking of trying U and I was in my late 60s at the time.  I welcome something different.  

6 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Perhaps they should have offered the ships to Richard Branson as a companion line to Virgin Voyages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I work with college age students and I can tell you this is the last thing that they are interested in. I knew this wasn't going to be a good idea from the start. It was obvious they were in trouble when they went down to 1 ship and was supposedly relocating their other ship.

• 2 months later...

I suppose this chapter in river cruising was closed when the ships were sold. But I will follow up briefly with the next chapter for "The B". She is now the Carmen, her details: https://www.binnenschifferforum.de/showthread.php?115114-Carmen-FGKS-02321750&p=458368#post458368

I was surprised to read that she did not start life as the River Baroness with Uniworld.

notamermaid

• Like 1