Whats your favorite Caribbean ports to just stay on the ship?

George C

I will be in Roatan next week, so I booked a private island beach with lunch day. I hope it was the right move!

We loved Maya Key, and did it again last month. :)

Not sure if that is the one you have booked, but it was soooo convenient to

just walk to the end of the pier and take the quick water taxi over to the island.

Lots of interesting rescued animals, a museum, beach, snorkeling, great lunch

and a nice pool area. All inclusive there, (except for alcohol drinks) and very clean.

Edited by island lady

We loved Maya Key, and did it again last month. :)

Not sure if that is the one you have booked, but it was soooo convenient to

just walk to the end of the pier and take the quick water taxi over to the island.

Lots of interesting rescued animals, a museum, beach, snorkeling, great lunch

and a nice pool area. All inclusive there, (except for alcohol drinks) and very clean.

Yes! It is Maya Key! So excited! Thanks for the positive thoughts! 😎

Yes! It is Maya Key! So excited! Thanks for the positive thoughts! 😎

Great choice! You will love it! After a nice walk viewing all the rescued animals

and birds (and there is a LOT of them), we walked to the beach area, sat out on

the dock, went up for a really nice lunch by the pool with lush tropical landscape,

enjoyed some lounge time, and enjoyed the rest of the day.

Not great snorkeling at the end of the long dock...but nice.

If you like history, the museum up on the hill is really fascinating.

Have the convenience also of leaving whenever you want. The short ride

on the float boat water taxi leaves every half hour.

Totally relaxing day! Enjoy!! :)

Great choice! You will love it! After a nice walk viewing all the rescued animals

and birds (and there is a LOT of them), we walked to the beach area, sat out on

the dock, went up for a really nice lunch by the pool with lush tropical landscape,

enjoyed some lounge time, and enjoyed the rest of the day.

Not great snorkeling at the end of the long dock...but nice.

If you like history, the museum up on the hill is really fascinating.

Have the convenience also of leaving whenever you want. The short ride

on the float boat water taxi leaves every half hour.

Totally relaxing day! Enjoy!! :)

Thank you, again! I cannot wait! You convinced me that I made the right choice for my birthday in Roatan! 😎

Sadly, I don't get off at any island, except to visit a shop for a necessity, because I cannot cope with the heat, and whatever factor sun screen I wear, some part of me manages to burn. So- because OH loves to snorkel- we have the compromise of a long cruise of 28 days, with 8 islands for him, and the rest sea days to and from the UK for me... with an Atlantic island with less fierce sun on the way.

The following cruise will be my choice-usually Norway or other North European spots, and he swims in the pools. :cool:

Jamaica and most of the Western Caribbean - We booked a tour to the Falls etc. in Jamaica, it was interesting but stressful with the crowds, very aggressive locals and even warnings from our fortunately experienced tour guide.

Nassau - Go for all of my shopping and a $4.00 fun ferry boat ride to Atlantis for an amazing Conch Fritter lunch in the marina.

St. Thomas - NEVER MISS Meagan's Bay!

As for the Western Caribbean, we live in California, might as well take a cheap Mexico cruise

Jamaica and most of the Western Caribbean - We booked a tour to the Falls etc. in Jamaica, it was interesting but stressful with the crowds, very aggressive locals and even warnings from our fortunately experienced tour guide.

Nassau - Go for all of my shopping and a $4.00 fun ferry boat ride to Atlantis for an amazing Conch Fritter lunch in the marina.

St. Thomas - NEVER MISS Meagan's Bay!

As for the Western Caribbean, we live in California, might as well take a cheap Mexico cruise

Isn't Megan's beach overly crowded given its the only name most people can state? Any advice for getting their at a certain time? Certain area to go? Are there chair and umbrellas rentals? What is the taxi situation? Is it possible to share or do the cabbies make up their own groups?

It's your time, your vacation, your cruise, your money.

Me? I'd get off every port I came to; if I ever get to the point where I'm bored, I'd go out and start making acquaintances with some of the local restaurant owners, etc. If youdon't feel like adventuring, get off to say "hi" to some friends you've made there.

And, for the bazillionth time, read up on your stops, listen to what people tell you about the port, then get off and see for yourself. Make your own opinion about it.

We will skip getting off the ship in Jamaica. Ocho Rios is the only port where we've felt threatened by the aggressiveness of the locals. We sometimes skip getting off the ship in Grand Cayman. It's a beautiful island, but tendering is a pain. We've also stayed on the ship in Cozumel (except getting off briefly to see the shops right there at the pier) on one cruise when it was a drizzly day. I had planned on going back to Chankanaab on that cruise, but the weather wasn't inviting. Usually showers in the Caribbean are not all-day events, but that day it was.

In as much as we are not able to cruise often, usually every two years, we look for new places to see. One exception has been 2014, 2015 when we had cruises booked. We will cruise in July with friends our 2nd Caribbean cruise since 2004 out of Galveston and again April 2018 on the Freedom's 8 day but it was hard finding Ports we haven't been to.

Take a look at sailing from San Juan :)