Princess Voted #1 cruise line by USA Today

4cats4me

Despite all of the kvetching going on here on Cruise Critic, including about things that haven't happened yet, I would have to say that we have found Princess to be our favorite. We have yet to encounter any of the problems with ATD wait times experienced by others, nor are we wringing our hands over the imagined impact of Club Class on ATD or the end of MDR for boarding day lunch for us common rabble as we never utilized it, but can sympathize with those who did.

Some of you who are uber critical, why continue to sail on Princess?

Congratulations Princess!

For us Princess provides the best overall product for the money.

We feel the same way & based on USA Today's unscientific poll Princess is the #1 mass-market/mid level ocean cruise line because none of the higher priced luxury cruise lines made the top 10.

The top 10 winners in the category Best Ocean Cruise Line are as follows:

Princess Cruises

Viking Ocean Cruises

Carnival Cruise Line

Costa Cruises

Cunard Line

Celebrity Cruises

Hurtigruten

Holland America Line

Royal Caribbean International

MSC Cruises

My TA showed me the email sent by the Princess VP of sales encouraging them to have their clients vote for Princess. But as I posted, Princess continues to be our first choice for a cruise because it's our best overall cruise experience for the price we're paying. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

It was not voted #1 by USA Today, of course, but by USA Today readers, big difference.

And if you ask the readers of Condé Nast Traveler (perhaps a more upscale group), you'll get different answers. You won't see Santa Clarita boasting "Condé Nast readers voted us #3 for large ships, behind Disney and Cunard." (Though #3 is a respectable showing indeed, and ahead of longtime favorite Celebrity.) And, of course, folks here on Cruise Critic have a different opinion altogether.

But as I always say, as long as it boosts CCL stock, I'm happy.

Edited by shepp

We feel the same way & based on USA Today's unscientific poll Princess is the #1 mass-market/mid level ocean cruise line because none of the higher priced luxury cruise lines made the top 10.

The top 10 winners in the category Best Ocean Cruise Line are as follows:

Princess Cruises

Viking Ocean Cruises

Carnival Cruise Line

Costa Cruises

Cunard Line

Celebrity Cruises

Hurtigruten

Holland America Line

Royal Caribbean International

MSC Cruises

My TA showed me the email sent by the Princess VP of sales encouraging them to have their clients vote for Princess. But as I posted, Princess continues to be our first choice for a cruise because it's our best overall cruise experience for the price we're paying. :)

Lol. How is it even possible that readers of a US based paper vote higher for Costa than RCI, HAL & Celebrity? That's crazy.

Although I agree......

I don't give a whole lot of credence to any of these media type polls.

I agree...travel publication passenger polls aren't useful to me but it probably generates additional advertising income from top rated companies for USA Today Travel...it's all about the money. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Lol. How is it even possible that readers of a US based paper vote higher for Costa than RCI, HAL & Celebrity? That's crazy.

I can see USA Today readers voting for Costa. If you travel overseas a lot, that paper is often one of those available for free at hotels.

Our experiences with Costa, although limited to three ships, were great. If you're open to getting out of your comfort-zone and are willing to take a deep dive into other cultures, they can be a lot of fun.

Edited by beg3yrs

I don't give a whole lot of credence to any of these media type polls.

Exactly! It's not as if they took a thousand readers who sailed on every cruise line and then made an informed vote! :rolleyes:

Best Ocean Cruise Line? Wasn't Princess recently fined 40 million bucks for dumping bilge water into the Ocean?

Best Entertainment? If our last Princess cruise had any say in this... we found the entertainment to be sub par at most of the shows we attended where many others walked out in the middle. We did vote with our survey though.

Best Cruise Ship for Dining? I'll wait for consensus on how much Club Class affects the rest of us in steerage.

Best Cruise Ship for Families? I haven't seen many families partaking in the Art Auctions, Champaign waterfall or Trivia... I did however see many older generation people enjoying those activities.

This is not an attempt to slam Princess so cheerleaders please put away your flamethrowers. :) It's only my humble opinion that these so called polls mean nothing. :cool: I will continue to cruise with Princess if the conditions warrant it. :)

Off my soapbox! Thank you

Here in Oz, in the just released Cruise Passenger Readers' Choice Awards 2016, Princess were voted No 1 in the following categories:

Best Ocean Cruise Line Overall;

Best Premium Cruise Line;

Best for SPA/Wellness;

Best for Entertainment.

There were 4000 voters.

We do not pay any attention to these awards, surveys, etc. From our perspective they are no different that those silly car of year awards.

Nor do we cruise by cruise line. We do it by itinerary,ship, price. Cruise line is a guide for us but ship is the deciding factor.