Sail away vs early dinner

956wenbrook

Ok so I didn't know where to ask this but I want some positive opinions. Although I am not a newbie cruiser this will be first time taking entire family. We have first seating dinner at 5:30. We leave port at 5:30. So basically sail away party. I read the cruise critic "overrated things on a cruise" and they mention the sail away party as one. However, being a first cruise for most people in my family I think the sail away party or just standing and waving is fun and memorable. That's not my discussion. My point is what would you do? Is it ok to go to the first night of dinner late? Should we simply skip it and do the buffet or pay more for a specialty night? If we skip the first night at dinner we don't lose table right? I'm wanting to go late like 6ish but am afraid we'll be turned away because we are late. My be a minor point to many but I want this to be awesome. Or can we go to head of the dining and ask if we can have later seating for one night? I think not. What have you done or is this a lame question?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And this is just one of the reasons we don't do traditional fixed time dining. You won't lose your table, but if it makes you feel better, see the Maitre d' when you board, and explain that you won't be there for the first night. Enjoy the Sail Away with your family. Make your own party. Have fun for as long as you want and then eat in the buffet.

Initial sail away is one of the least impressive parts of the cruise. I would skip it go to dinner on time. You will have other sail aways and the ones from the islands are IMO more interesting.

If this is some of your family's first cruise, I would let them experience what sail away party is. It is the experience, and not really assuring them that they will enjoy it. You will have those dinner the rest of the cruise. As a courtesy however, you may well advise the headwaiter/waiter on your reserved dining time that you will be unable to make it on the first night only.

First of all, its not like in the movies. There is no confetti and pretty much no one to wave at. However, it does mark the beginning of your voyage, so only you can decide if you value eating dinner in the dining room more than watching the shoreline recede.

Sail-away is definitely not a party. Nowhere close to a party. Just a bunch of people standing at the railing watching the ship leave the pier. It is much more interesting watching other ships leave their piers. No big deal if you miss it but you can eat at the buffet the first night.

DON

I have to respectfully disagree with some of the posters here. I love sail away. It is a party. First, I cruise on Princess, not necessarily considered a party ship. However, the time I spend goofing off with my family, participating in those crazy cruise staff led line dances and drinking the fu fu drinks in the plastic glasses IS the perfect movie to me. I cruise quite often with just my DH, but when my adult children cruise with, it is a BLAST. How often will your 21 year old son dance with you in public...lol Don't miss some memory building time with your family.

Depends on the ship how "partyish" it is. Some do next to nothing and others have dancing, music, etc.

Since you are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale it is fun to wave to the people in the condos who have air horns, bells, etc. You can also "request a wave" from the Port Everglades webcam. Let them know where you will be standing and they will try to zoom in on you. Those at home can see you and you can check the "Sail-Away Video" replay to see your sailing when you return. Information is at the bottom of this page.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

Edited by Scrapnana

Agreed, where you are sailing from can make a substantial difference in how impressive the sights are during your sail-away. For example, leaving from Manhattan and watching the NYC (and NJ) skyline go by is pretty great. When you add the Statue of Liberty to that, it can be downright incredible!

Additionally, where you are on the particular ship can make a difference. I enjoyed an especially great sail-away at an outdoor bar in the aft part of the ship -- and this was despite it being pretty cold and a bit rainy!

Of course, often the best plan is to remain open to spontaneous fun.

Enjoy the ride.

Since several in your group have never cruised, definitely go to the sail away party.

Then have dinner in the Lido or spend the money and to s specialty restaurant. For many years we have gone to a specialty restaurant as a nice way to start the cruise. It can be hectic the first in the dining room.

Many people skip the dining room on the first night for various reasons.

I agree on attending the sail away. For everyone who has never done it, how would they know what a "proper" sail away is? It's a ritual for a reason. It doesn't have to be organized, just you and your family with a glass of whatever suits you in your hand, marking the beginning of a unique group journey.

5 minutes may be all you want and you may still be able to get to the dining room. Your call. Let them have their fun. It's their first cruise! Let them experience it.

I think if your dining time and sail away happen together I eat at buffet before sail away. I love sail away.

You won't lose your dining time.

I agree with this. The menu for the evening will be posted at the MDR entrance. Take a look at it right after Muster Drill. Unless there's something on the menu that you just can't pass up on, go have fun at the Sail-Away, then eat at the buffet. It would be a good idea to let the Maitre D or the MDR hostess know that you won't be there for dinner.

Hi there

I'm on of those that have never thought too much of the "sail away party". I am just wondering what aspect of the "party" is it that you felt was demanding your presence?

The ship generally gets going soon after the muster drill (There are a lot who are already well into party mode before that). Is it the leaving the port excitement, seeing the port traffic, waving goodbye to the city ? I just ask because I have always done/seen this (taking pictures). Also having a drink and enjoying the weather when it was nice, but I have never found that it took so much time that I couldn't get down to supper on time.

I would not go to the dining room 1/2 hr. late. If you find yourself immersed in this party atmosphere so much that you don't want to break away, you are already on the Lido deck areas, so just going in to the buffet area to eat is not a big deal. Party on!!

have a great time

Ok so I didn't know where to ask this but I want some positive opinions. Although I am not a newbie cruiser this will be first time taking entire family. We have first seating dinner at 5:30. We leave port at 5:30. So basically sail away party. I read the cruise critic "overrated things on a cruise" and they mention the sail away party as one. However, being a first cruise for most people in my family I think the sail away party or just standing and waving is fun and memorable. That's not my discussion. My point is what would you do? Is it ok to go to the first night of dinner late? Should we simply skip it and do the buffet or pay more for a specialty night? If we skip the first night at dinner we don't lose table right? I'm wanting to go late like 6ish but am afraid we'll be turned away because we are late. My be a minor point to many but I want this to be awesome. Or can we go to head of the dining and ask if we can have later seating for one night? I think not. What have you done or is this a lame question?

It's actually a very good question, and you've earned a lot of respect from me for asking it.

Let's walk through what's going on here...

I don't know anything about your upcoming cruise (it may be in your signature, but I have those turned off), so I'll speak in generalities.

First of all, when is the safety drill? Some cruise lines like to schedule it immediately before sailaway. No dining outlets are going to be open during the drill, so depending on when and how long it is, dinner on the first night might be delayed.

I like sailaways, but I don't like sailaway parties, so I usually watch them from my cabin. This is just personal preference.

With traditional fixed dining, the table is yours for the whole cruise, so don't worry about that.

You CAN go to dinner late, but it's discourteous to both the wait staff and your tablemates, who probably held up their ordering and/or eating because of it. They'll be more understanding on the first night, but still...

You can go to the Maitre d' and tell him/her your situation. Your mileage may vary here. It can't hurt to ask.

The buffet and specialty restaurants should be open for your dining needs. It's always best, of course, to make reservations beforehand at the restaurants.

Have fun, whatever you decide.

We are on Freedom of the Seas. To clarify I don't really enjoy the sail away party but I enjoy my own sail away whether from my balcony or top deck. However, I didn't want to speak for rest of family that has not ever experienced it whether good or bad. I think upon all your kind posts I will first attempt to let the wait staff know we will be no more than 30 mins late or I will speak to wife and just spend the extra money on a specialty restaurant. I may still let my wait staff know. I'm already a lil over budget but I think kids 12 and under are free. I have 3 kids but one is 13. Ugh I'm prolly making this a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally, I really enjoy every time the ship casts off from the dock. Watching the crew untie from the pier, seeing the ship begin to move away from land.

I would never miss the sail away. Top deck, going from side to side, heading out to sea. For first timers, you only have one first time sail away. I suggest you make the most of it.