Flowrider Lawsuit

bouhunter

The Flowriders installed on Freedom and Oasis class ships are doubles, but they are small doubles. The double Flowrider at Fantasy Surf in Kissimmee (now closed) was a standard double and it was larger and faster than the ones on the ships. Granted, the size difference is about a foot on a side, but they are smaller and slower on the ships.

However, Royal Caribbean didn't modify those Flowriders to fit on the ships... I'm pretty sure that the manufacturer, Waveloch, did all of the engineering and fabrication.

I recently saw a picture of one of the Flowrider frames being trucked in to St Nazaire for Oasis 4 with a caption that it was being brought in from a Wave Loch plant elsewhere on the continent.

2 things come to my mind.

#1....how does this guy know it was modified? If he was told before he got on then he might have tough sledding in court.....which brings to mind my other thought:

#2..What court can he sue in?. He was not in the USA when he was alledgedly injured. All vessels are foreign flagged. Besides that, maritime law most likely applies anyway.

Doug

2 things come to my mind.

#1....how does this guy know it was modified? If he was told before he got on then he might have tough sledding in court.....which brings to mind my other thought:

#2..What court can he sue in?. He was not in the USA when he was alledgedly injured. All vessels are foreign flagged. Besides that, maritime law most likely applies anyway.

Doug

I'm also fairly certain I recall a disclaimer that everyone agrees to mediation or arbitration in Florida or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am positive I know I'm going to die while zip lining on the oasis class, and someone will tape it and put it up on YouTube :). I ziplined on Allure- and apparently I'm terrified of heights!! Lol, had no idea. Regardless, I'm going to do it again on Harmony....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Losing parties in a lawsuit are often ordered to pay the winning party's lawyer bills.

Also, waivers do not protect a company from lawsuits regarding negligence. If someone can prove RC did something negligent with modifying the flowrider then the waiver won't keep RC from being sued. That leads me to my original question, how does one modify a flowrider?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don't, another scumbag lawyer taking on another useless frivolous lawsuit...K.O.:rolleyes:

Nothing and I mean nothing amazes me anymore.

I am aging gracefullly and as the years advance there is no way in hell I would ever think of starting to flow ride at this point.

Love to zip line and we have done this for over 15 years, so I have a comfort zone, but boogy board on a powerful wave, not going to happen, and besides if I did it .............someone would post on you tube, and it would not be a pretty site.

Just saying.

To those who do................enjoy.

I am a spectator and enjoy watching those that know what they are doing.

Safe travels.

EVERYONE SPREADING IGNORANCE by saying "suing companies is a national pasttime" and "people are money hungry and just want a buck" Please educate yourselves. Companies are sometimes wrong, sometimes a lot of times, before someone calls them on it and forces them to appropriately handle their mistake and take responsibility.

Yes I researched that story eons ago, unfortunately it changes nothing. The woman was irresponsible not McDonalds. I'm on their side. I guess you would want them to serve iced coffee to be sure no one else puts a scalding cup of coffee between their legs. Duh. We've all burned our mouths on hot drinks at some point haven't we? In fact I do it pretty often.:o If this had happened at home, who would she have sued? O yeah, the coffeemaker or the mircro wave seller...

When will people in this country take responsibility for their own mistakes??.....I guess never, as long as lawyers rule the courts. Geez, I wonder why the other million +++ people who got the same coffee managed to use their grey matter and not get burned at all, in fact actually put that hot coffee in their mouths and swallowed?? I'd rather believe that 700 people were not cautious but careless. Why do you think Starbucks provides sleeves for their coffee? But now, you have to put them on the cup yourself, because some Barista didn't put one on right and someone tripped and burned themselves.:rolleyes:

The moral of this story is what my Gram always taught us as kids:

You can believe fire will burn you, but when you get burned, you KNOW it will burn you! So....you better make sure it doesn't happen.

Yes, sometimes companies knowingly do the wrong things and must be held accountable, IMHO this wasn't one of them. And if anyone reads the waiver before they sign it, which I am convinced hardly ever happens, then enough said. You ride at your own peril.:cool:

• 2 months later...
Yes I researched that story eons ago, unfortunately it changes nothing. The woman was irresponsible not McDonalds. I'm on their side. I guess you would want them to serve iced coffee to be sure no one else puts a scalding cup of coffee between their legs. Duh. We've all burned our mouths on hot drinks at some point haven't we? In fact I do it pretty often.:o If this had happened at home, who would she have sued? O yeah, the coffeemaker or the mircro wave seller...

When will people in this country take responsibility for their own mistakes??.....I guess never, as long as lawyers rule the courts. Geez, I wonder why the other million +++ people who got the same coffee managed to use their grey matter and not get burned at all, in fact actually put that hot coffee in their mouths and swallowed?? I'd rather believe that 700 people were not cautious but careless. Why do you think Starbucks provides sleeves for their coffee? But now, you have to put them on the cup yourself, because some Barista didn't put one on right and someone tripped and burned themselves.:rolleyes:

You can believe fire will burn you, but when you get burned, you KNOW it will burn you! So....you better make sure it doesn't happen.

Yes, sometimes companies knowingly do the wrong things and must be held accountable, IMHO this wasn't one of them. And if anyone reads the waiver before they sign it, which I am convinced hardly ever happens, then enough said. You ride at your own peril.:cool:

So what do you say about the 700 or so people who complained about the coffee being too hot before this woman got burned? Why did McD's decide to make coffee that hot in the first place?

I thought it was common knowledge the FlowRiders were modified. They are smaller than the land based ones, however the manufacturer made them smaller not RCCL. Actually I'm surprised both parties weren't sued.

It's not sad that he is suing, it's sad that he will probably win.

Look at recent lawsuits and their verdicts.

One of the big box hardware stores, believe it was Lowes, was sued because a 2x4 wasn't 2" by 4". Lowes lost, 2x4's have NEVER been sold to an end user at 2" x 4" they used to be wet cut to that size and would dry down to 1 3/4" x 3 3/4". In the modern age they are just made 1 1/2" by 3 1/2".

Red Bull lost because it didn't give someone wings. Now their logo says wiings.

Some guy falls and gets hurt on a FlowRider, easy money.

So what do you say about the 700 or so people who complained about the coffee being too hot before this woman got burned? Why did McD's decide to make coffee that hot in the first place?

People like their coffee HOT! Easier to cool it down then warm it up after you leave the store... When I was Rest MGR 20-35 yrs ago all places I worked for kept coffee around 160-168 degrees. Always Hot...

Can't believe that I did not read this thread when it was first posted back in January, but see that a few new comments have been made, so here goes...From what I have been told (and since I have rode 5 or 6 flowriders on land as well) the back wall of the flowrider behind the wave surface has been moved in significantly from the flowriders on land due to the size restrictions on the ships. What does this mean for a rider? If one falls and is washed up to the top of the wave, the wall you run into behind the wave is a lot closer on the waves on the ship than on the waves on land, meaning you may get smacked up against it pretty hard since it is closer.

That said, it was Waveloch that redesigned the flowriders for RCCL, so it is not something that RCCL did on their own that may increase the likelihood of injury. That is like saying that having the basketball hoop one foot lower than regulation on the ship's basketball court could lead to less response time if you shoot the ball and hit the bottom of the rim, thus increasing your likelihood of getting injured by the ball.

People sign a waiver, make the decision THEMSELVES to ride knowing their is the possibility of hurting themselves, and then want to get rich quick, and in the meantime spoil the activity for the rest of us who get limits placed on us as to what we can do on the wave because of some idiots who are looking for a quick payout.

Well also the RCCL staff is not being trained well and they are not always making sure people are riding safe.

I see it again and again where the RCCL staff is doing stupid things - endangering the safety of the rider!

If you have some expertise in this matter maybe you too could make a few bucks testifying on behalf of this poor guy. :rolleyes:

Well also the RCCL staff is not being trained well and they are not always making sure people are riding safe.

I see it again and again where the RCCL staff is doing stupid things - endangering the safety of the rider!

Wow, it is amazing that our experiences have been exact opposites. And I spend a lot of my cruises on the sports deck.

Wow, it is amazing that our experiences have been exact opposites. And I spend a lot of my cruises on the sports deck.

Same. The staff at the Flow Rider has always taken the time to help out, give tips, and teach the people riding it. Unfortunately they can't prevent everything.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Can't believe that I did not read this thread when it was first posted back in January, but see that a few new comments have been made, so here goes...From what I have been told (and since I have rode 5 or 6 flowriders on land as well) the back wall of the flowrider behind the wave surface has been moved in significantly from the flowriders on land due to the size restrictions on the ships. What does this mean for a rider? If one falls and is washed up to the top of the wave, the wall you run into behind the wave is a lot closer on the waves on the ship than on the waves on land, meaning you may get smacked up against it pretty hard since it is closer.

That said, it was Waveloch that redesigned the flowriders for RCCL, so it is not something that RCCL did on their own that may increase the likelihood of injury. That is like saying that having the basketball hoop one foot lower than regulation on the ship's basketball court could lead to less response time if you shoot the ball and hit the bottom of the rim, thus increasing your likelihood of getting injured by the ball.

People sign a waiver, make the decision THEMSELVES to ride knowing their is the possibility of hurting themselves, and then want to get rich quick, and in the meantime spoil the activity for the rest of us who get limits placed on us as to what we can do on the wave because of some idiots who are looking for a quick payout.

Russ, to further your comments above in red, that might be why RC has much taller height restrictions for their waves compared to those on land. Taller usually/typically means heavier, thus when the rider falls and ends up on the landing pad above gravity will stop them quicker.

Just and idea/thought.

Can you please back that claim up with irrefutable evidence? How do you know that they aren't trained?

Are you a graduate of Flowrider university?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Really, could you give us some examples of what the staff should do to make sure people are riding safe? Once someone is on the wave the staff have zero chances of changing any behavior. I have seen people who violate the safety rules, walking up the side of the wave, standing on the wave and walking off, sliding down the side of the. I have watched people ignoring these rules and the staff trying to get them to change the behavior, the people almost never ever do. In fact, I have watched them repeat the same behavior run after run. The only failure would be that the staff haven't banned them from the flowrider, which I am sure would result in another lawsuit.

I would love to see your examples of the staff doing doing stupid things endangering the safety of the rider. Of course, I probably won't live long enough for you to prove your point.:rolleyes:

JC

Red Bull lost because it didn't give someone wings. Now their logo says wiings.

;) That was the worst case of false advertising I've seen since my lawsuit against the movie The NeverEnding Story. :D