good books

tweety522

A bit barbaric & bloody but gripping adventure:

Pirate Latitudes is an action adventure novel by Michael Crichton, concerning 17th century piracy in the Caribbean. HarperCollins published the book posthumously on November 26, 2009.Wikipedia

[/col

Edited by hcat

If you want a book of hilarious short stories, mainly about a fictional family, I highly recommend Vinyl Cafe Unplugged by Stuart McLean. I laughed my head off at some of those stories. Just good, clean, relatable humour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On the subject of books, anyone know if the Silo still has books in their library or if the library is more for show/decor now? I don't have a kindle or tablet - and don't bother bringing any tech other than my phone with me when I sail. I'm on a computer 12 hours a day and love to curl up with an actual book on vacation. I know...I'm a weird throwback. :)

They had a few I enjoyed last year. Do passengers ever donate their paperbacks when they depart?

The libraries still have books. And passengers do donate books they've read, but more toward the end of the cruise. Unless you're lucky to catch a bunch donated at the end of the previous cruise. It's hit or miss. I used to take books with me and donate them as I finished them but now I just load books on my iPad. Lightens the load in my suitcase!

The libraries still have books. And passengers do donate books they've read, but more toward the end of the cruise. Unless you're lucky to catch a bunch donated at the end of the previous cruise. It's hit or miss. I used to take books with me and donate them as I finished them but now I just load books on my iPad. Lightens the load in my suitcase!

Thanks, Linda: I'll pack 1-2 and take my chances on finding something there as well - we drive in, so space doesn't matter as much. Don't know why I'm such a holdout on the kindle/tablet - but just hate the thought of yet another pricey tech device I might drop, break or spill something on.

Didn't mean to hijack OP's post - so pardon me, everyone :eek:

Here are my recommendations.The Back Road, Sleep Tight, Only the Innocent all by Rachel Abbott.

My Husbands Wife -Jane Corr

Before I let you in -Jenny Blackhurst

The girl in the ice -Robert Bryndza

While my eyes were closed -Linda Green

I let you go -Clare Mackintos

Behind Closed doors -B A Paris

The Accident -CL Taylor

The Clifton Cronicles (7 books) Jeffrey Archer

Maeve Binchy is a favourite author so any of her books

If you want a book of hilarious short stories, mainly about a fictional family, I highly recommend Vinyl Cafe Unplugged by Stuart McLean. I laughed my head off at some of those stories. Just good, clean, relatable humour.

Stuart McLean just died today at 68, too bad he was really good.

I've read a number of books already mentioned. But here are a few more. Depending on where I'm cruising next, it will guide me on what I read..historical fiction about the region or time, or something beachy and light. The following list is in no particular order.

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

The Charm Bracelet by Viola Shipman ( easy read for beach)

This is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison (set on a cruise ship)

The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich and the sequel ( Another sequel is due out March 2017)

For easy reads in the Caribbean ... Elin Hilderbrand or Debbie Macomber books. Go to orderofbooks.com so you read them in order if you haven't read them before because some are in a series.

Ok, I think that's enough for now....

Edited by ecslady

I've read a number of books already mentioned. But here are a few more. Depending on where I'm cruising next, it will guide me on what I read..historical fiction about the region or time, or something beachy and light. The following list is in no particular order.

This is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison (set on a cruise ship)

The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich and the sequel ( Another sequel is due out March 2017)

Thank you for letting me know about the new Midwife sequel. :)

This is Your Life sounds interesting. ;)

If you enjoy historical fiction Philippa Gregory is very good. My first read of hers was The Other Boleyn Girl and after that I was hooked. She has so many. You can't go wrong. Movies and series were made from her books.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love this thread! Part of the fun in vacation planning for me is picking out my vacation read! I belong to a book club and our favorite genre is historical fiction, here are a few of my favorites that really transport you...

The Orphan Keeper by Cameron Wright

The Nightengale ( and most books by Kristen Hannah I you grew up in the 70's Firefly Lane by her was marvelous

Orphan #8 by Kim van Alkemade

Orphan train by Christine Baker Kline

Linnet Bird by Linda Holeman

What she left behind and the Plum Tree both by Ellen Marie Wiseman

Ellen Hilderbrand for great beach reads not as heavy

Last cruise I finished my book and went to the library to find another. First book that caught my eye: Titanic :eek:

You just saw a book? We had a series of lectures on our transatlantic that sailed very near where the Titanic went down. I thought no one would attend the talks but they were packed and really informative. Great speaker who is really into anything Titanic.

Here are my recommendations.

The Clifton Cronicles (7 books) Jeffrey Archer

Maeve Binchy is a favourite author so any of her books

I second the Clifton Chronicles. Just finished #6.

I also like anything by Ken Follett but some of his books would take up half of the suitcase! Also just finished Grisham's The Confession, couldn't put it down. I am a voracious reader and I don't have a Kindle either. Love the old fashioned book.

Great question....I will follow to get inspiration!

Personally I love historical biographies. 'The final Curtsey' being my last cruise choice. So easy to pick up and put down. Also find Dick Francis novels and my all time favourite Agatha Christie entertaining.

The key thing for me with cruise reading is you are often half asleep when reading and there is a lot of picking up and putting down....So those complicated plots, complicated characters and twist in the tale thrillers don't get loaded on my iPad! At least not when cruising!

Look forward to reading others suggestions.

If you're into historical biographies, I recommend "Empty Mansions" by Bill Dedman. I found it fascinating. Available in all formats on Amazon.

http://www.emptymansionsbook.com/

I read all the time, and agree with plenty of these recommendations, and wrote down some of the others.

Surprised no one mentioned The Woman in Cabin 10, it's a mystery that takes place on a cruise ship

For historical fiction, and an easier read than Marriage of Opposites, which I loved, are either:

The Aviator's Wife

Loving Frank

Circling the Sun

The Bridal Chair

Some other fun ones are:

The Rosie Project

The Talk of the Town

A few other good ones are:

Faithful, by Alice Hoffman

Boys in the Boat (non-fiction)

Commonwealth, by Ann Patchett

The Passenger, by Lisa Lutz

I could go on and on, but I think whoever is reading this list probably has enough.

"In a Sunburned Country" by Bill Bryson -laugh out loud - travelouge about Australia.

"The All -Girl's Filling Station Last Reunion" by Fannie Flagg

"Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham - American third string quarterback goes to Italy to play

Anything by Maeve Binchy, Dorothea Benton Frank and Steve Berry

I just visited the used bookstore last week to stock up for my next cruise vacation. Now I'm ready.

I just finished The Chilbury Ladies Choir, which I enjoyed very much. I posted reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. If I understand CC rules correctly, I can't post a link to my review, sorry. Some other authors that I like, Dana Stabenow, Sue Grafton, Sue Henry, Michael Connelly, Robert B. Parker, Elmore Leonard and Tony Hillerman.

For biography, try Born a Crime, by Trevor Noah. For historical fiction, try books by Bernard Cornwell and C.J. Sansom. My wife and I both have kindles for traveling.

I have posted reviews on all of the above authors(Amazon--"Kindle customer Thomas", GR-- "Thomas"). If you are new to the author, I suggest reading them in order.:)