Voyager - Singapore-Hong Kong, 2/20-3/7/17 - Wes, Rachel & Rumor, LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Thank you again for this wonderful thread! We are on Voyager in about 2 weeks. We lived in Japan and Korea for several years and are looking forward to visiting some favorite places and discovering new ones. Your reports have inspired us to try some more active tours that we had not considered. Luckily, Regent and our TA have been helpful in rearranging some for us. We are true Regent fans and your blog has reinforced our opinion!

Jackie, Jennifer, Steve and Deborah, Freddie/Pat, BarbarianPaul, Pam, briar14; thanks so much for your kind words and travel home well wishes. I enjoyed the excellent Tai Chi and Dim Sum excursion this morning but left it mid tour to return to the ship as I did not care to learn about Chinese Tea preferences and Shopping in HK, that said---very good excursion.

Please enjoy some Tai Chi and Dim Sum photos.

2ef5453a68809183991510db52f251b4.jpg7f8c4565c9b954ecf8787484faf40e3e.jpg75dda66355e8da2d4d2a2e4a96e4b64a.jpgc7fac1a235c25b51c2732a71fc0826b8.jpg3549e1193b87e2a31f452460442e284e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At the Tai O fishing village on the way to Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island.

8def8a607817726732dd93cab1b4ca04.jpg

We had a sumptuous vegetarian lunch at Po Lin, after which George announced, "OK, where's the main course?" For dessert, he Rachel and I decided to take the stairs up to Big Buddha.

e73541982bd7b25f9b39b1f37b98ebdc.jpg

Rancher George inspects the herd at Po Lin.

ab8eb08f6e9cae6ff24741929ad2f022.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safe onward travel, and journeys home, to all the bloggers (y)

I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of excellent written description and superb pictures; you all appear to have thoroughly enjoyed your cruise and made the best of all the ports of call

Thank you for overcoming injuries and Regent internet to provide such enjoyable, upbeat posts

PS: The Google Quiz today celebrates the 37th Anniversary of Komodo National Park; with the help of your blog, and our recent visit, I achieved a score of 5/5 :cool:

Trying to take an artsy shot while I should be packing! (View from our cabin at 5:45 p.m.)

Just got caught up on all your wonderful comments. Thank you!

112f676b903928b9e32e65728d00f23c.jpg

First of all, thanks to everyone who has read and followed along with us. We really enjoyed producing this blog. The results show what can be accomplished when 3 passionate bloggers team up.

Now for our last day of the cruise.

March 6, 2017-Hong Kong

After another smooth night sailing, we awoke in Hong Kong. Right out our window was the ocean center which is a combination cruise port and giant high end shopping mall. On the other side of the ship was the harbor, and across the harbor, huge high rise buildings. The best cruise port ever for someone like me!

We got to walk through part of the mall on he way to our bus for the morning's excursion, so it was a bit of a teaser. Temperature outside was in the low 60s so a bit cooler, with heavy haze. The locals call it fog. I call it smog.

We got on board (only 20 of us in a full size bus) for the tour to Landau Island. I picked this excursion because George absolutely hates cities. This was the only one I could find that included any countryside.

First we went to an observation point to view the city and bridges. Lots of good views as well as good exercise. To get to Landau Island, we then had to change buses because the bus has to have a special license to go there.

On the new bus, we continued to Tai O which is a fishing village. On the way, we drove up and down on narrow curvy roads with forest on both sides.

Finally we arrived at the village. There were lots of little lanes lined with shops. The majority sold various variations on dried seafood. There were all sorts--puffer fish, squid, cuttlefish, starfish (how could you eat one of those? I would think it would just be spines.), scallops, octopus, and lots of others I really couldn't identify. And the smell that went with them was intense!

There were also fresh veggie stands that I really was attracted to with amazing looking tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli. We walked all over, but I didn't buy anything as I was not in the market for a dried fish.

From there, we went to the Buddhist monastery, driving along narrow curving roads again. Finally we drove up and up on a road that was one lane. I was concerned--what if we met oncoming traffic!? But we didn't and arrived safely at the big Buddha statue.

After a stop here for photos ops with the huge Buddha seated on a lotus flower, we drove back down to the monastery. It was totally different from the one we visited a few days ago, not as modern and polished. There were multiple pagodas with large cauldrons for burning incense. And there was a lot of incense burning going on. Some looks like normal incense, but there were also huge incense sticks, over 8 inches in diameter.

We had a delicious vegetarian lunch, with egg drop soup, multiple stir fried items including one that had great veggies as well as cashews, lots of tofu, delicious rice, and hot tea. I thought it was outstanding. George hates tofu, so he thought it was not so good.

Afterward, we had time for some shopping. George, Rich, and I took the challenge to climb the 260 stairs up to the Buddha, and we made it. We also visited with some of the local cattle, which are pretty rangy looking. George said they wouldn't bring much at the sale barn.

We then retraced our journey, changing buses, back to the shopping mall and ultimately to the ship. Trivia was good. We came in 3rd but would have won if we had not second guessed two answers.

Then the dreaded packing had to begin. This is my least favorite part of any cruise. Afterwards, George and I ventured off the ship into the maze of shopping malls ad found a Chinese restaurant where we ordered a bunch of random food, some great and some terrible. Note to self: never order drunken chicken. It is like cold boiled and pressed chicken with the skin still on. The steamed dumplings, fried rice, hot and sour soup, and noodles were delicious.

At 8:45, there is a light show in the buildings on the harbor. If our room were on the other side of the ship, we could have watched from the balcony. As it was, we had to go up to the top deck for a good view. While not as impressive as the one on the Bund in Shanghai, it was still pretty cool.

Rachel if you are hanging around a bit, afternoon tea at the Peninsula is walking distance from the cruise terminal and really nice. Very elegant with a string quartet playing on the mezzanine. Total throwback to HKs days as a colony and truly enjoyable experience ? Added bonus: We have done this each of the 3x we were in Hong Kong and I don't recall ever seeing anything with tofu on offer!

----------------

Helen

Thank you so much to the 3 Blogateers, I have really enjoyed your posts and photos.

We are booked on Singapore to Sydney next year and looking forward to it even more after reading your posts - cannot wait to see the Komodo dragons!

It is also heartening to know that Voyager is much improved following her refit - especially the upgraded menu in Compass Rose.

Thanks to you all for this most enjoyable and interesting blog. From Wes and Ida starting in Auckland with wonderful photos and posts, and continuing with Rachel and Mr Rumour in the great joint blog. It's sad to see it all end now. Safe travels home and thanks again. Jean.

One more snap from the Voyager: the view from Deck 12 last night.

5f1ce0383cf115ed6077560b18cd076d.jpg

Looking forward now to our three-night Jewels of Hong Kong experience! I hope to do a final wrap-up post from the hotel. For now, thanks again for following along and for the lovely comments. This joint blog was a joy for me--thanks, Wes and Rachel!--as was our cruise!

Rich

We're now waiting in the theater for our all day tour and then airport drop off. David, the restaurant mgr, saw me on the elliptical as we was departing the voyager for a well earned vacation. He thanked me for the hand written letter I sent to Franck to David letting David (and Franck) know his management skills contributed greatly to making this our fav of 24 cruises. Also, sent hand written notes to Niven (horizon lounge bartender), Federico and Valentina head waiters in La Veranda. Off now

One more snap from the Voyager: the view from Deck 12 last night.

5f1ce0383cf115ed6077560b18cd076d.jpg

Looking forward now to our three-night Jewels of Hong Kong experience! I hope to do a final wrap-up post from the hotel. For now, thanks again for following along and for the lovely comments. This joint blog was a joy for me--thanks, Wes and Rachel!--as was our cruise!

Rich

What a gorgeous photo!

Curious if any of you are departing Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific (I think this has been mentioned previously but I'm too lazy to go back and look). The Cathay Pacific lounge was one of the best that we have encountered. We were also quite impressed with the huge airport.

Safe travels to everyone!

Actually now sitting in the Wing, one of the Cathay pacific lounges, enjoying some hot green tea.

We had a FAST taxi ride to the airport this morning. Our driver must be aspiring to be on the NASCAR circuit. Normal time to the airport is 45-60 minutes depending on traffic. We made it in 25. George commented that if the car had had wings, we would have already taken off.

March 7, 2017-disembarkation and final thoughts

We were up early to catch a cab for our trip to the airport. Couldn't have been easier. Walked right off at 8:15, and sitting in the Cathay Pacific lounge at the airport by 9:15. And that includes checking in, going through security and passport control.

We had a really good time on this trip. Would have been better without a broken arm, but I am really glad I came as the alternative would have been sitting at home bored and depressed.

Our traveling companions really made the trip special. Rich and Ginny, Wes and Ida were great fun. We also made some wonderful new friends-Jim and Cathy, Joanna and Steve.

George did not care for this part of the world. He would not return, though he was really happy to see Corregidor and enjoyed Singapore. I would come back if the itinerary was right, but have no desire to return to Brunei or Malaysia.

A couple of other observations: kids--there really weren't any. There was one large family group, but the youngest boy was probably 12 or 13 and really well behaved.

Smokers--there were a lot of this cruise, but they stayed in the smoking room and in the little corners on the pool deck and back side of Horizons outdoors, so the only time it was noticeable was when I was doing my walking out on the track. I just walked faster as I turned the corner.

Rude passengers-- several come to mind. We had dinner one night at a shared table in Prime 7. The lady at the table asked for balsamic vinegar for her salad. They brought her balsamic dressing. She proceeded to really go off on the waitress in a very mean way. The waitress apologized and brought out some vinegar in a small bowl. The lady tasted it and declared it was not balsamic vinegar at all but rather wine vinegar. Now the manager got involved and brought our the bottle that it had been poured from which clearly said "balsamic vinegar". The lady still wouldn't let it go, and proceeded to basically have a fit. I tried to explain that there are all sorts of grades of balsamic vinegar, and that perhaps that was the issue. She was having none of that, and it kind of put a big damper on the rest of the meal

One morning, George went to breakfast by himself. It was early in the cruise when I was taking forever to get easy because of the arm. He got his table for 2 in La veranda, put his newspaper and glasses there, and went up and ordered eggs and bacon. He came back and there was a man and woman sitting at the table. George said, "I was sitting here. That is my stuff." The man refused to move, to avoid confrontation, George just picked up his things and went to another table nearby. The waiter brings out George's eggs and bacon to the table where he had originally been sitting, and the man takes it and starts eating. Just amazing!

I will say the staff for the most part were outstanding. We had a couple of times with slow service, but nothing terrible. My only complaint would be one lady at the front desk. She had a perpetual frown on her face and acted like the tiniest request (getting change for a $50 bill) was a huge inconvenience.

I came away from the cruise very pleased with how Voyager has been refurbished. It still is my favorite ship, and even better now, especially with the decrease in vibration. We have booked Sydney to Auckland next year!

Loved this thread! Wes & Ida, safe travels back home. We hope to catch up in ATL! Rich, looking forward to meeting you during the Singapore to Sydney voyage and our joint blog. Rachel, I hope that our paths cross in the future! Wish you all well as you travel home!

We have visited an absolutely beautiful garden in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong. Now visiting the Yuen Po bird and flower markets

c2c1f8c681a6da171f98efd708cf487e.jpge9bab392dc005f7b816723912efe4dce.jpga6228b590a3401a4b2efdfadc320a92b.jpg9d8c6062a9401e8e17305ecfee042686.jpge80c8be683678f87f6acfd0de552e6a7.jpg

And had to take a pic of this woman with her pooch

69fd73f1cf557414772a465233efe9ee.jpg