Celebrity is Testing Several Cruises for Using OBC Pre Cruise???

Lastdance

I was told by Captain's Club that Celebrity is doing a marketing test on cruisers being able to actually use their OBC to purchase things before they embark. She told me it will be on three different cruises to see how it works. Sounds interesting to me...what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone else also reported this a few days ago. For those who use OBC for excursions or speciality dining it is certainly a positive.

We rarely do ship's excursions and generally find it cheaper to book individual speciality restaurant reservations once on board as the discounts are better and we still use our OBC. On the B2B we are on now we ate at the speciality restaurants 4 time at a average cost of $26pp.

It would be awesome if this happened. Coming from sailing DCL for years - who allows you to pre-book specialty dining and excursions, but doesn't charge until the day of the booking, and then to your onboard account - having to pre-purchase excursions through Celebrity and pay before the cruise just seemed odd to me. I didn't realize until we did some more research that DCL's policies are not the norm.

I suppose by charging in advance, Celebrity does end up with more of my money - as we did pre-book an excursion in Alaska (we wanted to make sure it wouldn't sell out). However, we also held off and booked some other excursions onboard to use OBC as well (we still ended up with refundable OBC at the end of the cruise, too).

We are sailing X in the Med this summer, and are debating a X excursion in Santorini, mostly to get off the ship earlier/easier. Being able to pre-allocate OBC to that before the cruise would certainly make us more likely to book it - as doing so would make it easier to finalize our plans for the day!

It would be awesome if this happened. Coming from sailing DCL for years - who allows you to pre-book specialty dining and excursions, but doesn't charge until the day of the booking, and then to your onboard account - having to pre-purchase excursions through Celebrity and pay before the cruise just seemed odd to me. I didn't realize until we did some more research that DCL's policies are not the norm.

I think Princess does it this way too ~ at least they used to.:)

I'd definitely do it for excursions if refundable, but not dining or spa....better discounts, on board & not sure they would adjust it..

Now we pre pay to secure dining time and then get an adjustment from the restaurant.. but it is complicated sometimes...would never trust spa to adjust anything!

Also some OBC is refundable...but if X can offer this I see a plus for cruisers who have alot of OBC to use..

Question: Can OBC be used for laundry?

We've never cruised on Celebrity but I'm considering a Med cruise for 2018. I understand that we will be Elite since we are Diamond on RC and will have one complimentary bag of laundry during our cruise. Since we will be on a 12 day cruise (if we book) with a 3 day City Stay prior to the cruise, it would be very nice to use some OBC toward laundry.

Has anyone used their OBC for laundry?

Thanks

Question: Can OBC be used for laundry?

We've never cruised on Celebrity but I'm considering a Med cruise for 2018. I understand that we will be Elite since we are Diamond on RC and will have one complimentary bag of laundry during our cruise. Since we will be on a 12 day cruise (if we book) with a 3 day City Stay prior to the cruise, it would be very nice to use some OBC toward laundry.

Has anyone used their OBC for laundry?

Thanks

Of course. Laundry, just like everything else get charged to your onboard account. OBC is nothing but a credit to your onboard account. That simple.

Mike

Yes they do-we have excursions pre-booked for a trip in June on Princess.

If they were to take this fleet wide you would only be able to use the Celebrity supplied promotional onboard credits. As most travel agency onboard credits are not purchased until closer to sailing, nor are they listed in the reservation after purchase (they are "gift" items) Celebrity would have no way of tracking them for pre-purchase useage. That said this would help many who want to use some of their OBC for tours/dining/spa, etc

If they were to take this fleet wide you would only be able to use the Celebrity supplied promotional onboard credits. As most travel agency onboard credits are not purchased until closer to sailing, nor are they listed in the reservation after purchase (they are "gift" items) Celebrity would have no way of tracking them for pre-purchase useage. That said this would help many who want to use some of their OBC for tours/dining/spa, etc

My TA always shows her OBC when she sends me my reservation information. This coming April, I have $1000+ OBC with $600 refundable: however, gratuities are $544 eek... guess I am one of the lucky ones? I always come back with a little credit on my card. Anyway, this could help Celebrity and its clients. time will tell.

Edited by Lastdance

Someone else also reported this a few days ago. For those who use OBC for excursions or speciality dining it is certainly a positive.

We rarely do ship's excursions and generally find it cheaper to book individual speciality restaurant reservations once on board as the discounts are better and we still use our OBC. On the B2B we are on now we ate at the speciality restaurants 4 time at a average cost of $26pp.

We have six of us going on a TA and wanted to get our table and the times we wanted. So, we all bought a package and I had the restaurant operations manager for the Reflection make our reservations for us ahead of time. There are just not that many tables for six. if it was just us, I would do the same...

My TA always shows her OBC when she sends me my reservation information. This coming April, I have $1000+ OBC with $600 refundable: however, gratuities are $544 eek... guess I am one of the lucky ones? I always come back with a little credit on my card. Anyway, this could help Celebrity and its clients. time will tell.

How do you get so much in OBC? We're looking at a 14 day cruise that includes $150 each. I remember a few years ago we weren't allowed to use some of the credits we had if we took their credit. Princess allows you to use everything you're entitled to. Am I not understanding something?

Also, regarding the military rate - my husband is a veteran with 4 years in the AF. Is he entitled to any kind of special rate or is it only for active/retired military?

Appreciate any information folks on this thread can give.

They tried to change it. There was such an uproar they backtracked pretty much right away. It's a great feature and I hope celebrity does it, too.

I booked my excursion in Juneau because I know it will sell out and it's such a highlight!! Would have been great to use up my OBC.

How do you get so much in OBC? We're looking at a 14 day cruise that includes $150 each. I remember a few years ago we weren't allowed to use some of the credits we had if we took their credit. Princess allows you to use everything you're entitled to. Am I not understanding something?

Also, regarding the military rate - my husband is a veteran with 4 years in the AF. Is he entitled to any kind of special rate or is it only for active/retired military?

I get a Shareholder's credit but only on certain Celebrity cruises....I haven't figured it out yet. But even that is a non-refundable OBC and not combinable with other credits. Princess allows the Shareholder's credit and the military credit to be combinable. This is my first Celebrity cruise but Elite on Princess....just hoping they will make these credits combinable.;)

BridgeMates: Your husband is eligible for the military rate as long as he has a DD 214 (which he may be asked to show at check-in). However, military rates are only offered sporadically. You have to check the =X= site for your cruise to see if it's offered. It is combinable with shareholder credit.

Bon Voyage

Betsy