If You Had a Sick Relative

Yes

We were told that DH's father could die anywhere from 1 week to 6 months.

We debated whether we should cruise or now -- final payment had already been made -- cruise was 5 weeks away. We decided to go.

We left the ship's telephone number with a friend. Got the call on day 6 of the cruise.

and you were on a cruise, and the relative passed away, would you want to be contacted on the ship?

No.

And if a friend or relative were to be on a cruise and I was to croak I would in no way want them to be contacted.

I wouldn't mind being informed....it would be unlikely to change my plans, unless it was immediate family. For an elderly, ill relative to pass while we were away, we would complete our trip. If it was an unexpected death of my mom or kids...then of course I'd cut my trip short!

No.

And if a friend or relative were to be on a cruise and I was to croak I would in no way want them to be contacted.

Once we had a TA that traveled with us. One of our single fellow travelers was found dead in their cabin.

TA contacted son of deceased about arrangements.

Son replied to TA, "That's YOUR problem." :eek:

Once we had a TA that traveled with us. One of our single fellow travelers was found dead in their cabin.

TA contacted son of deceased about arrangements.

Son replied to TA, "That's YOUR problem." :eek:

Did he try to get a partial refund for services not rendered, port taxes paid?:evilsmile:

Did he try to get a partial refund for services not rendered, port taxes paid?:evilsmile:

This subject is so morose.:cool:

Reminds me about the man who told his wife,

"If one of us should die, I shall move to Paris."

We had to deal with this question a few years ago when we had a cruise planned on Carnival Glory and my DGM took a turn for the worse right before we left. We visited DGM the night before we left and said our good byes just in case. I don't know if she even knew we were there. We told my Aunt that if she passed away before we got on the ship to contact us but once we were on the ship we wouldn't be checking in and didn't want to know anything until we returned from the cruise. It was only a 5 day Canada cruise and we had a land trip planned in NYC and then onto Washington DC post cruise which we could easily cancel with refundable hotel rooms. She passed away as we were driving from MI to NY. We found out when we got to our hotel in NY. Since we had insurance on the cruise and my kids and I were close to DGM and my Aunt (she was their daycare) we decided to turn around and grieve with our family.

Half-baked premise: how closely related is the relative, how important is the connection, are there immediate survivors who will REALLY need my assistance/presence?

Unless it were a close relative with whom I had a close connection and I believed that the other immediate survivors really needed my personal presence to help, I would see no need for instant notification.

If I were on a buddy cruise and my wife died leaving my three year old daughter in the hands of the authorities because there were no other relatives or friends - yes, of course I would want to know so I could get back as soon as possible.

If my fourth cousin, once removed (whom I never liked or even trusted) died at age 93, surrounded by close family and friends and one of them called me on the ship - I would probably as him why the H--L was he bothering me.

Half-baked premise: how closely related is the relative, how important is the connection, are there immediate survivors who will REALLY need my assistance/presence?

Unless it were a close relative with whom I had a close connection and I believed that the other immediate survivors really needed my personal presence to help, I would see no need for instant notification.

If I were on a buddy cruise and my wife died leaving my three year old daughter in the hands of the authorities because there were no other relatives or friends - yes, of course I would want to know so I could get back as soon as possible.

If my fourth cousin, once removed (whom I never liked or even trusted) died at age 93, surrounded by close family and friends and one of them called me on the ship - I would probably as him why the H--L was he bothering me.

(y)

We must be extremely unlucky because this has happened to us twice--both back in the 1970's. Both were grandparents.

My husband's grandfather was very ill with cancer when we left; we visited him just before the trip. He was expected to live about another month, but passed away while we were gone. Everyone told us to go ahead and go. We had already decided, with family, that if something happened we would not attempt to come back. The funeral was held while we were gone. We were not contacted, as decided beforehand.

My grandmother passed away somewhat more unexpectedly the very next year! She was 87 and in a nursing home, but just died quietly in her sleep. They did call us on the ship and waited until we were home for the funeral.

We have also had many!! incidents of parent's severe health problems on cruises and trips; most recently in December when my 90 year old mother-in-law broke her hip--you guessed it, while we were on a cruise. We finished the cruise and got our flights changed to go to her city.

Almost every cruise we take someone has a health problem/hospitalization or other trauma. We've had to cancel three major international cruise/tours because of this, so you'd better believe we buy insurance!

and you were on a cruise, and the relative passed away, would you want to be contacted on the ship?

Unless it was one of my kids or grandkids - no. They are dead and there is nothing that I can do by coming back earlier that will do anything for anyone.

DON

Yes, I want to be with my loved ones to comfort them in our time of great loss. That being said, but only if the trip was more than 1/2 over as me cutting my trip short isn't going to bring back the dead!!!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

When my DH and I were on our honeymoon in Europe my grandmother was very ill. I made my mom promise to call me if something happened, but my grandmother told me she'd hang on. A few weeks after we got back we lost her.

I agree it depends on who it is. My stepmom was sick but suddenly took a turn for the worse. My brother and his family were vacationing in California and we're in NY. They hoped on a flight, got to the hospital and she died two hours later. My brother was glad he made it to help our dad

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So I guess when you kick the bucket none of your relatives will want to be bothered with the news.

"So navybankerteacher kicked it, why the H--L are you bothering me!";p

;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Yes, if they were relatively close family (not for the father of a second cousin I haven't seen in 20 years and is a stranger to me, but yes for the father of my second cousin whom I see a few times a year and like).

There's nothing I can do for the dead person, but there are things I can do for the family and friends left behind. I would want to know and to extend my support and condolences. Then I could drink a toast to them each night and remember them fondly.

So I guess when you kick the bucket none of your relatives will want to be bothered with the news.

"So navybankerteacher kicked it, why the H--L are you bothering me!";p

;)

Did you bother to read the post before responding?

I certainly would not want anyone to POINTLESSLY interupt a friend's or relative's vacation with bad news.

Did you bother to read the post before responding?

I certainly would not want anyone to POINTLESSLY interupt a friend's or relative's vacation with bad news.

Sorry, I read your post as you certainly would not want anyone to POINTLESSLY interupt a friend's or relative's vacation with GOOD news.

Sorry, I read your post as you certainly would not want anyone to POINTLESSLY interupt a friend's or relative's vacation with GOOD news.

This whole thread is dealing with what is assumed to be bad news; however, if we wish to expand it to include good news, the same rationale applies: there is no value in POINTLESSLY interrupting someone's vacation.

If something were to happen to a relative (or pet) while I'm on a cruise, I wouldn't want to be notified unless there was something I would need to do (make or help with arrangements, comfort the grieving, etc.)

Obviously, it would make a difference how long and where the cruise is. If it would take days to get to the next port, make flight arrangements and fly home, and there are only a few left of the cruise, anyway, then no. What difference would it make?

If I'm a couple of days into an 18-nighter, well, that's a different story.