Taking food from breakfast for later on?

Angie463

I was wondering if it is acceptable to take items from the breakfast buffet, eg croissants, rolls, fruit, if you are going ashore for the day or would this be frowned upon? After all, if you were staying onboard for the day you would still be eating food from the ship. If acceptable, what would you place it in - food bags, tubs....? :D:D

Etiquette aside, in much of the world it is a serious violation of agricultural regulations to bring any prepared food ashore other than pre-packaged snack foods. In North America, South America and especially Australia and the South Pacific taking a piece of fruit off the ship may carry a penalty akin to smuggling drugs should you be caught. If you don't wish to purchase the local fare while ashore you should pack some factory sealed snacks such as energy bars to take with you.

I was wondering if it is acceptable to take items from the breakfast buffet, eg croissants, rolls, fruit, if you are going ashore for the day or would this be frowned upon? After all, if you were staying onboard for the day you would still be eating food from the ship. If acceptable, what would you place it in - food bags, tubs....? :D:D

Hi there

It is not typically acceptable to bring foods ashore. In some instances it is illegal, mostly fruits, meats, dairy. Think in terms of, what sort of things do customs ask on a declaration card. You would be allowed prepackaged foods such as a small box of cereal, packaged crackers. Don't know where you are considering cruising, but some ports have security patrolling with dogs, and they are not necessarily just looking for drugs.

Your thought that you would be entitled to the food if you stayed on board, really needs to be compared to what would be appropriate at a restaurant buffet. Would it be reasonable to just take a little dessert home with you for later, after all you have paid for all you can eat (just not right now)?

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Ooh I hadn't thought about the customs side of things, good point. Will probably leave it then. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Read lots of threads and you will get more information then you never wanted to know. There are lots of things that newbies don't think of. Please feel free to ask away and we will do our best to answer for you.

No one wants you to bring in pesky animals and contaminate their agriculture industry. Bring from home some pre-packaged food like granola bars.

You may NOT take anything that's not "pre-packaged" off the ship. You could take a box of cereal, but never, ever fruit, veggies, meats, cheeses or plants.

All of your ports will have eating places...after all, folks do live there and eat there! Or, head to the ship for lunch, then go back out again!

The OP appears to be sailing Arcadia from Soton to Norway. Things are looked at differently in EU countries. I realize that Norway is not part of the EU, but some research on the Norway boards here under Ports of Call might get her a definitive answer. EM

When we arrived in Mexico last week, there were agents with dogs on the pier looking for fruit in people's bags. They confiscated a ton of stuff. I partly blame the cruise line for not telling people though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we arrived in Mexico last week, there were agents with dogs on the pier looking for fruit in people's bags. They confiscated a ton of stuff. I partly blame the cruise line for not telling people though.

The last time we were in Ensenada, the "fruit dog" was having a field day. As you say, tons confiscated. But there was info all over the place on the ship saying not to do it. Guess people thought it didn't mean them.

We have been on ships where there was a notice in the daily paper indicating that food was not to be taken ashore. And sure enough, people still did. And we saw lots of barrels of fruits, etc.

What about prepackaged fruit (fruit cups, applesauce cups or pouches)? We have some food intolerances/allergies in our family, so while we'd like to buy food at the ports, we can't always be sure that we can find what we need, not knowing what ingredients go into particular menu items.

Cheap, wrong and most often illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about prepackaged fruit (fruit cups, applesauce cups or pouches)? We have some food intolerances/allergies in our family, so while we'd like to buy food at the ports, we can't always be sure that we can find what we need, not knowing what ingredients go into particular menu items.

If it contravenes customs regulations, not advisable. Luckily it's usually easy to buy fruit at most ports.

It is certainly very tempting to take some food ashore, so as not to have to waste sightseeing time trying to find suitable snacks in unfamiliar surroundings, possibly different languages and currencies.

One of the conveniences of cruising for some people is visiting other countries while enjoying the food, water and accommodation standards we are used. Obviously the cruise ports would prefer us to spend more money ashore.

If it's safe and legal, I'd be prepared to take some emergency snacks ashore.

And I don't think that should be described as cheap.

If it contravenes customs regulations, not advisable. Luckily it's usually easy to buy fruit at most ports.

Wouldn't it be just as legal as a dry packaged product? That's what I'm asking.

It is certainly very tempting to take some food ashore, so as not to have to waste sightseeing time trying to find suitable snacks in unfamiliar surroundings, possibly different languages and currencies.

One of the conveniences of cruising for some people is visiting other countries while enjoying the food, water and accommodation standards we are used. Obviously the cruise ports would prefer us to spend more money ashore.

If it's safe and legal, I'd be prepared to take some emergency snacks ashore.

And I don't think that should be described as cheap.

I'd be fine with buying fruit at port, but would like to be able to bring some prepackaged items, and not just dry ones, just in case the restaurant/cafe/food stand we decide to try doesn't have enough suitable allergen-friendly food for our kids. It's not that I don't want to experience the food, it's a matter of being able to provide enough safe food for them. Something prepackaged can stay in my bag if the restaurant food is fine, but can be pulled out to accompany the meal if there are only a couple of safe menu items for them.

Wouldn't it be just as legal as a dry packaged product? That's what I'm asking.

I'd be fine with buying fruit at port, but would like to be able to bring some prepackaged items, and not just dry ones, just in case the restaurant/cafe/food stand we decide to try doesn't have enough suitable allergen-friendly food for our kids. It's not that I don't want to experience the food, it's a matter of being able to provide enough safe food for them. Something prepackaged can stay in my bag if the restaurant food is fine, but can be pulled out to accompany the meal if there are only a couple of safe menu items for them.

Well, typically the only pre-packaged foods that are acceptable for taking off the ship in ports are the "dry" kinds - individual cereal boxes, granola bars, that sort of thing.

You can't take any fresh, perishable foods off (like fruits, pastries, sandwiches, meats, etc)

Having done 4 cruises in Europe on 3 different lines the rules are the same as in the US...now I don't know whether thats to do with it being a US ship thing or general maritime law but it happens.

Then again, I have never seen sniffer food dogs in Europe and the amount of times I have boarded with a half eaten macaroon/pastry/sausage savory etc in my bag. I once got really naughty and couldn't try all the Baklava in Corfu so bought a box of it and boarded with it in my backpack (bad I know but I had lots o Retsina and the like).

You could buy snacks to take ashore or bring factory sealed items from breakfast? I often take a box of cereal or some packaged biscuits ashore as hubby is diabetic and he needs carbs after his sugar Gel to balance out if he gets low.

Then again, I have never seen sniffer food dogs in Europe and the amount of times I have boarded with a half eaten macaroon/pastry/sausage savory etc in my bag. I once got really naughty and couldn't try all the Baklava in Corfu so bought a box of it and boarded with it in my backpack (bad I know but I had lots o Retsina and the like).

Boarding with food is rarely restricted. It is getting off the ship with food that is a problem.

I've seen mention of ports in Australia (maybe New Zealand, too) that will not allow even factory sealed items, but it seems that all other ports will allowed unopened, sealed items like Power Bars. So if you have blood sugar issues or allergy issues that might be something to think about when first packing for your cruise. usually day-long excursions will have some food breaks and even lunch, but one time, the guide purchased the sandwiches for lunch ahead of time, put them in a cooler and then that's what he offered at a park. I couldn't eat them as the condiments were on them. So I regretted not packing a granola or power bar for myself. On another cruise, lunch orders were taken on the bus and I was assured any condiments would be on the side (which was the case)...and we were given three options including a vegetarian one.

But usually we don't go on excursions and either find a place to eat in port or return to the ship for lunch.

As someone who lives in an agriculturally-sensitive area, I understand the need to avoid the potential of introducing pests.

For saving food for consuming onboard, first you might want to find out if your cabin will have a fridge (not all ships provide these, and not necessarily even then, not in all cabins). If you aren't thinking of perishable items, or if you will have a mini-fridge, you can bring ziplock bags or food containers. But some cruise lines don't allow you to remove food from the MDRs. On Princess, you can take food out of the buffet or get some from the International Cafe and eat elsewhere on the ship. And there are mini-fridges in every cabin. There's been a couple of cruises in which our cabin steward or our waitstaff have sent up muffins or cookies to our cabin w/o our asking. (and those cookies are great)

I've seen mention of ports in Australia (maybe New Zealand' date=' too) that will not allow even factory sealed items, but it seems that all other ports will allowed unopened, sealed items like Power Bars. So if you have blood sugar issues or allergy issues that might be something to think about when first packing for your cruise. usually day-long excursions will have some food breaks and even lunch, but one time, the guide purchased the sandwiches for lunch ahead of time, put them in a cooler and then that's what he offered at a park. I couldn't eat them as the condiments were on them. So I regretted not packing a granola or power bar for myself. On another cruise, lunch orders were taken on the bus and I was assured any condiments would be on the side (which was the case)...and we were given three options including a vegetarian one.

But usually we don't go on excursions and either find a place to eat in port or return to the ship for lunch.

As someone who lives in an agriculturally-sensitive area, I understand the need to avoid the potential of introducing pests.

For saving food for consuming onboard, first you might want to find out if your cabin will have a fridge (not all ships provide these, and not necessarily even then, not in all cabins). If you aren't thinking of perishable items, or if you will have a mini-fridge, you can bring ziplock bags or food containers. But some cruise lines don't allow you to remove food from the MDRs. On Princess, you can take food out of the buffet or get some from the International Cafe and eat elsewhere on the ship. And there are mini-fridges in every cabin. There's been a couple of cruises in which our cabin steward or our waitstaff have sent up muffins or cookies to our cabin w/o our asking. (and those cookies are great)[/quote']

Whatever you do, please keep your uninspected/unprepackaged food out of California and Hawaii.

We travel with severe allergies and haven't had an issue eating onshore. Many times we will use an Allergy Card to communicate the allergy.

Closest fruit product we've brought ashore has been some gummies.

The above poster is correct. Agriculture regulations are similar in both Australia and New Zealand. Both countries are island nations, dependent on not allowing their agriculture to be invaded by foreign pests. Please don't take any food off the ship in these countries, unless it is pre-packaged and sealed. Commercially prepared and sealed baby food may be allowed, but you should declare it.

Many countries in South America and also California have similar regulations.