Panama Canal - Which Ship?

DShock

Have done the PC 8 times (7 full transits - 1 partial). Now considering a 9th in 2018. Trying to decide which ship;

- Coral or Island for full transit

- Caribbean Princess for partial but using the new locks.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks!

We chose our recent full transit based on dates we were available and ended up on Island. If we had a choice we would have chosen Coral because of the additions that have been done to Island.

I believe that most posters will recommend traversing the Canal on the Coral Princess. I have done it several times. She is my ship of choice. Lots and lots and lots and lots of threads on this subject.

Yes, we done the Canal on the Coral and Island several times but we also have sailed on Caribbean Princess many times and think the aft facing rooms would be outstanding for the canal...thus the dilemma.

We've never been into the canal but we're heading there next January. We specifically picked the Caribbean Princess and the new locks as we like the ship very much, having sailed on her twice before. The Island and Coral lack some of the larger ship amenities, Vines being one of them.

If you have the means and time for the extra travel, embarking in one city and disembarking in another would always be my preference. I wish every one of my past and future cruises could be open-jaw rather than round-trip.

So unless transiting the new locks is something you wish to tick off your list--and/or you are strongly inclined to see the new and upgraded venues on the CB--I would book Coral without hesitation. And I would even take Island for the four extra days over Caribbean barring any necessity to begin and end at the same port.

Coral or Caribbean. I personally would avoid the Island. To my thinking this ship was ruined when Princess removed the Universe Lounge and much of the aft viewing areas to add 200+ additional passengers.

Have done the PC 8 times (7 full transits - 1 partial)

We have done four full and two partial transits. If the choice is Coral or Island, it's Coral all the way. But since you've done the full transit so many times, I think you might like the Caribbean, so you could go through the new locks. Of course I say this, and if you look below you'll see what we picked, although the Caribbean was a close second.

Not happy seeing all of this. We are on Island because of date of sailing and looks like we might regret it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I don't know. Before we took the Island through the Canal at the end of February this year, my wife's least favorite ship was the Island, strictly because of the way the crew acted on the 2 times we'd been on it before. Now, it's her favorite ship of all! The gentleman who was the captain on the ship, Captain Tuvo, was a hoot and very personable (he was a replacement captain for the regular one who was on leave) but is getting ready to move to another ship very soon, so I don't know who will replace him, probably the regular captain. But we did have a great time on the Island. Hope you do also!

Tom

Yes, we done the Canal on the Coral and Island several times but we also have sailed on Caribbean Princess many times and think the aft facing rooms would be outstanding for the canal...thus the dilemma.

Aft facing balconies are GREAT!!

We did a B2B on the Pacific in an aft facing balcony. Best of both worlds. Got to see the locks up close and personal, then we round and round on the Promenade and forward to the Pacific Lounge.

I would definitely recommend the Caribbean Princess to go through the new locks.

I am recommending this specifically for you since you said you have done the canal eight times before (and I assume all eight were the old locks). I think the new locks would be an interesting difference. I am going through the new locks in January, and I've only been through the old locks once. Also the Caribbean Princess is currently my favorite ship - I have three cruises booked on her during the next year.

For anyone going through the canal the first time, I would definitely recommend the old locks. They have a lot more history.

Not happy seeing all of this. We are on Island because of date of sailing and looks like we might regret it.

We did the full transit on the Island in December 2015 and really enjoyed the ship. Hope you have a great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We would pick the Coral over the other two, any day of the week.. It's a great ship for the canal. We had the Caribbean booked for the new locks next year, and cancelled it as soon as we returned from our 6-day cruise this past February. I would recommend the first time throuh, is go with the old locks for the history.

We've never been into the canal but we're heading there next January. We specifically picked the Caribbean Princess and the new locks as we like the ship very much, having sailed on her twice before. The Island and Coral lack some of the larger ship amenities, Vines being one of them.

We also have done the "old" locks 3 times and have booked the Caribbean Princess so we can see the new locks next March.

Don't let the reviews make you regret your cruise. We have sailed Island after the additions were made and booked in one of the cabins that were added. Loved the ship and the crew. We booked Alaska on it last summer and enjoyed our balcony. we have booked PC on Coral and are looking forward to that ship as well. We went by the itinerary rather than the ship and Coral had we wanted. Perhaps Alaska vs Panama Canal is different as far as ship experience. We will have more sea days doing the PC cruise vs Alaska, so our opinion may change and the lounge they substituted for cabins may play a factor, will have see?

Another vote for the Coral, she's one of a kind.

Remember, the Island was once exactly like the Coral, If the changes they made to the Island were popular, they would have done the same thing to the Coral, and they didn't. That alone tells you all you need to know.

Since our last 3 cruises were Oasis, Royal Princess, Oasis, I wondered if Coral would be too small for us. We loved her. She has a whole different vibe, more like being on a ship instead of a floating hotel. Better food than we've had in several years.

I'll be interested to hear what difference the new locks make, as we drove past them on the way to our ferry through the second half of the Canal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the feedback, we have decided on Caribbean Princess. Just can't pass up C748, our favorite cabin of all the ships we have sailed on, but of course we are aft lovers. Just couldn't pass on the opportunity and as mentioned we have done the full transit (one ocean to the other - also a favorite) many times.

We're sailing on the Caribbean Princess in February to the Panama Canal. Have never sailed on this particular ship, but this is our 10th cruise on Princess. Any input about about the cruise is appreciated - tours, etc.