Can I keep carry on luggage with me rather than check it to ship?

tbmrt

Trying to lighten packing load this cruise. Usually travel with "lots of stuff".

If I bring carry-ons (approx 20" type that one puts in overhead area on planes) with me to ship, can I keep these with me til rooms are ready? Will they fit through security thingy?

Tx

As I'm sure you are aware, regardless of how many or how large of suitcases you bring with you, it is highly recommended that you keep a carry on with you for any valuables, medications, or documentation you have for safe keeping. Luggage can take until the evening to arrive at your stateroom and you will likely need some of those things prior to that. Many people also keep a change of clothes with them as well. If the cruise line allows wine to be brought on board this should be with you in your carry on as well.

As to the number you bring to avoid larger suitcases, just keep in mind that you will have to lug all of them around with you to lunch and other venues while you wait for your stateroom to be available, typically early afternoon. In our experience the ships do not provide any storage or on board luggage handling for you. This can be cumbersome to you and others around you as most people will also have at least one with them as well. But as mentioned, the ship security scanners are similar to the airport ones so that would be the general size guidelines.

Yes you can keep your carry-on with you.

I don't know how many carry-ons you are planning to take. But I certainly wouldn't want to lug several of them around the ship until the cabin was ready. One is hard enough but any more than that would be terrible for me.

There are six of us going on our cruise and five of us are experienced cruisers. We will each have a carry-on to be lugged around until our cabins are available. While I hate sitting among 6 carry-ons, we all want to have a change of clothes, including a pair of shoes, a swimsuit, sunscreen and cover-up, a bottle of wine, meds, cosmetics, electronics and that means we will be swimming in carry-ons for an hour or two. Just a small burden. That's why, when the cabins are opened and we drop off our carry-on and get through the muster drill I truly feel that my cruise is underway. Takes me about two minutes to unpack the carry-on and then I'm hands free.

There are six of us going on our cruise and five of us are experienced cruisers. We will each have a carry-on to be lugged around until our cabins are available. While I hate sitting among 6 carry-ons, we all want to have a change of clothes, including a pair of shoes, a swimsuit, sunscreen and cover-up, a bottle of wine, meds, cosmetics, electronics and that means we will be swimming in carry-ons for an hour or two. Just a small burden. That's why, when the cabins are opened and we drop off our carry-on and get through the muster drill I truly feel that my cruise is underway. Takes me about two minutes to unpack the carry-on and then I'm hands free.

The "burden" isn't yours. Imagine how much your fellow passengers despise dodging your unnecessary obstacles. How rude.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The "burden" isn't yours. Imagine how much your fellow passengers despise dodging your unnecessary obstacles. How rude.

There are 6 people. ONE carry-on per person is NOT "unnecessary". They are NOT being rude. You are.

There are 6 people. ONE carry-on per person is NOT "unnecessary". They are NOT being rude. You are.

Slice/dice it anyway you want: it's still six bags clogging walkways. And, given the list of contents, these are not micro-carryons. At the very least, a tremendous safety hazard.

Slice/dice it anyway you want: it's still six bags clogging walkways. And, given the list of contents, these are not micro-carryons. At the very least, a tremendous safety hazard.

I agree.

Especially when cabins are not yet ready when you board. Clogging up the lounges, dining areas and elevators is very inconsiderate of others.

As someone who spent an entire cruise without luggage I have learned to be a carry-on only traveler. And my carry on stays with me until I reach my room.

Two suggestions

- if there are several members of your group, one becomes the designated luggage sitter and sits in an less busy area with luggage that doesn't block the aisles while others swim or walk around. A good book works wonders for passing time.

-other (my preferred) way - board in early afternoon when you can go directly to your room. If you are staying in a hotel the night before the cruise, swim in that pool until noon. Most hotels are fine with that as long as you have left the room.

I agree.

Especially when cabins are not yet ready when you board. Clogging up the lounges, dining areas and elevators is very inconsiderate of others.

We typically have one carry on for two of us and when it is recommended that valuables, medicines, a change of clothing, wine, be kept with you in a carry on, what is the alternative? Do you not have a carry on with you - or do you pack all these things in a checked bag?

Boarding day is congested, just as is the final day with disembarkation - which with self luggage disembarkation is a nightmare with luggage. It's just a fact of cruising IMO.

We typically have one carry on for two of us and when it is recommended that valuables, medicines, a change of clothing, wine, be kept with you in a carry on, what is the alternative? Do you not have a carry on with you - or do you pack all these things in a checked bag?

Boarding day is congested, just as is the final day with disembarkation - which with self luggage disembarkation is a nightmare with luggage. It's just a fact of cruising IMO.

As with airlines, a "personal item" should be plenty for a reasonable amount of valuables, medications, a clean shirt and underwear - even a bottle of wine. In fact, one personal item should be adequate for a couple traveling together.

Here are the current max airline dimensions for a carry-on and a "personal item":

Maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels. Maximum dimensions for your personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm). (Source: United Airlines)

As with airlines, a "personal item" should be plenty for a reasonable amount of valuables, medications, a clean shirt and underwear - even a bottle of wine. In fact, one personal item should be adequate for a couple traveling together.

Here are the current max airline dimensions for a carry-on and a "personal item":

Maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels. Maximum dimensions for your personal item, such as a shoulder bag, backpack, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm). (Source: United Airlines)

Understood and good to know - which also is the size we have with us. But that wasn't my question or relevant to my response to MCC Retired.

Maybe we've been lucky, but only on 2 of our cruises have we had to tow our carry-ons with us. Mostly the cabin has been available by the time we have boarded.

However, on those two cruises, I was more conscious than ever that somehow no matter where we put our cases they seemed to be in the way; they were certainly in our way at times!!

We never put any wine or other liquids in a carry on that will be stored in an overhead bid for fear of leakage. We have been on a few airlines where the flight attendant has specifically requested that items like wine and any duty free not be stored in the overhead bins for this very reason.

We don't really care what other people think about our decision to do carry on only. We keep well within the dimensions and, where applicable, the weight restrictions. But, we are part of the MYOB crowd and have no desire to end up as a couple of busybodies trying to imply that our way is the right way.

Agree. Migrating to carry on only has made our travel easier and more enjoyable.

Whether or not they have carry-on sized luggage is not the point. The point is whether a group of 6 really needs to bring six bags aboard with them to clog the hallways and elevators and lounges. If the six are, as they claim, traveling together, then why can't they consolidate the critical items like a bottle of wine and six swim suits in one bag, and then check the rest? Easier for them, far more considerate of everyone else.

There is no rule that says that carry-ons cannot be checked just like grown-up luggage.

We never put any wine or other liquids in a carry on that will be stored in an overhead bid for fear of leakage. We have been on a few airlines where the flight attendant has specifically requested that items like wine and any duty free not be stored in the overhead bins for this very reason.

Totally agree. My earlier reference to wine in a carry on, as example, refers to ports of call where one would be driving to the departure port or would purchase wine prior to boarding but after arriving at the departure port. We would never place wine in a carry on bag on an aircraft. Good luck getting it through airport security in a carry on!

Just off Anthem with only a 22" and satchel each. Headed to 270 bistro then into the lounge to eat and relax - bags were tucked away behind us, not in anyone's way. By 1:30 we were in the cabin and unpacked - and then the cruise starts

There is no rule that carry on should be checked either. When we travel with others we certainly don't mix luggage

I think that those of us who travel with carry on need to cognizant of where we place our bags in a public area.

In the same vein, I do not think that we need busybodies advising us on how to pack, what to do, or where to go. There are far too many people who think their opinion on this should be the standard by which the rest of us are measured or the behaviour that is the norm.

There is no rule that carry on should be checked either. When we travel with others we certainly don't mix luggage

I think that those of us who travel with carry on need to cognizant of where we place our bags in a public area.

In the same vein, I do not think that we need busybodies advising us on how to pack, what to do, or where to go. There are far too many people who think their opinion on this should be the standard by which the rest of us are measured or the behaviour that is the norm.

Agree 100%.

I think some posters are like pressure cookers looking for any issue -- whether real or perceived -- to let off steam.