Favorite desserts

We learned a number of years ago on a galley tour that they do not make their own ice cream for the MDR. There is always vanilla, often chocolate, the abovementioned sherbets, and a rotation of flavors like coffee, pistachio, strawberry, and butter almond. Most times the ice cream is fresh and good, but we have on occasion gotten some that is freezer burned. The biggest complaint is that it's usually half melted before it reaches the table (my husband likes his ice cream very solid and not melty).

This gives me a :') I am an ice cream snob I just hope the ben and jerry's is good. A good icecream should be a bit squishy cause the yummy fat content makes it soft. Low fat icecream, an abomination, has that chunky texture.

Have to agree about the coconut ranger cookies, as long as they haven't overbaked them!

We've had the carrot cake a couple of times, and mostly it's been ok to good, but sometime they have added too much spice, particularly nutmeg, and it overwhelms the cake. The flavors and textures of the MDR desserts are just not consistent across ships.

Our most favorite "long lost" dessert was the Magic Mango Parfait. It was a semifrozen mousse with a tangy, delicious mango flavor, and I think it went away after our second cruise and was replaced with a banana mousse (probably cheaper), and then that disappeared.

I love fruit desserts as long as it is real fruit. Banana is way over used in desserts IMO.

It is interesting that the same desserts have different flavors across the ships. Makes me wonder if the cooks are playing with the recipes a bit? That could actually be a good thing, might lead to some good desserts if the cooks are allowed to be creative at all.

Mini Brownie Madness from the kids menu.

Yes, this is GOOD! Also, key lime pie, berry crumble w/ van. ice cream and creme brûlée` is pretty good, too. I will agree that some of the desserts do LOOK better than they TASTE. They don't taste bad just boring! :D

Edited by Rala
typo

Most of the included desserts on Royal aren't worth the calories.

There are a couple of decent ones. I recommend if you have a sea day, try the MDR for lunch - there were a couple of good desserts there (strawberry Neapolitan and an orange panna cota)

33531355841_a63ca496b8_c.jpg[/url]

33276920820_3759e43da1_c.jpg

My dad liked the strawberry shortcake from the Promenade café. It was very basic but after a few days of gelatin based desserts, he was happy to find an actual "Cake".

32847631223_07cc7d7568_c.jpg

And there was one dessert in the dining room that did meet expectations. It was a caramel banana cake. It was moist, tons of cream, and you could taste both the banana and the caramel.

32818038514_df6703585e_c.jpg

Crepes in the WJ? Do most ships offer

I had them on Liberty. They were in the area where they make omelets in the morning. Unfortunately they weren't making them by request, but they were in a pan with an orange sauce that was really tart but yummy. They had whipped topping and other things to put on there but just the dark chocolate shavings were perfect!

Most of the included desserts on Royal aren't worth the calories.

There are a couple of decent ones. I recommend if you have a sea day, try the MDR for lunch - there were a couple of good desserts there (strawberry Neapolitan and an orange panna cota)

33531355841_a63ca496b8_c.jpg[/url]

33276920820_3759e43da1_c.jpg

My dad liked the strawberry shortcake from the Promenade café. It was very basic but after a few days of gelatin based desserts, he was happy to find an actual "Cake".

32847631223_07cc7d7568_c.jpg

And there was one dessert in the dining room that did meet expectations. It was a caramel banana cake. It was moist, tons of cream, and you could taste both the banana and the caramel.

32818038514_df6703585e_c.jpg

That banana caramel dessert was delicious, but it was only offered once in the last three cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mini Brownie Madness from the kids menu.

I also enjoy the mini brownie dessert from the children's menu, and when desperate I've ordered the chicken fingers from the children's menu for my entree. I used to frequently order two starters and no entree, but lately the variety of starters is diminishing.

Another favorite of ours is the coconut ranger. My husband doesn't normally like coconut, but we both love these cookies.

Margy

I absolutely love the berry crumble served on day one in the MDR. Tastes just like a homemade cobbler.

This is my favorite too! I could have this every single night. :) Warm with vanilla ice cream.

Just recently on Harmony and they have a dedicated area every night for crepe's right next to the waffle station.

Ohh I was hoping they do this on the freedom also, does anyone know ??

And do they do a baked Alaska parade ??

Also what about chocolate buffet ???

I haven't seen the baked Alaska parade or chocolate buffet on RCL in years...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wait...there was a baked Alaska parade, and I missed it?

No "baked Alaska" anymore. The desserts used to be outstanding...too pretty to eat, but so delicious, you HAD to eat it! Nowadays, it all seems to be some sort of "mousse" or pudding custard based thing...unless it's a cookie, which I consider a snack..not a "dessert"!