Box lunch provided on cozumel ships tour

bogofman

Will this be supplied by the ship?

I don't want to be easting anything provided by the local tour operator

In the rare instances when box lunches have been provided on an excursion, I have NEVER seen them provided by the ship. Always by the operator. In most countries, local laws would prohibit the ship supplying the lunch.

Why would you not want anything provided by the local tour provider?

I've gone on tours with box lunches. It's usually a prepackaged sandwich, a bag of chips, a bottle of water, and a mint in its cellophane wrapper. There won't be a fruit or veggie in sight! They don't set up a stove in the back of the bus. I have also been on a tour in Jamaica with a cooked lunch. It was delicious, albeit not typically American. I loved the grapefruit soda!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will this be supplied by the ship?

I don't want to be easting anything provided by the local tour operator

Only food in factory sealed packages is allowed off the ship. Box lunches will be supplied by a local company.

On the hundreds of ship and private excursions we've taken over the years, including those in Mexico, we've always eaten local food, either provided by the tour operator or purchased in a restaurant. While we are careful with our selection, we would never avoid eating local food.

One of the BEST lunches we had anywhere was provided by a local tour operator in Roatan on a catamaran sail and snorkel this past summer. I felt like a pig but went back for seconds, along with almost everyone else on the boat, and made sure to let the tour operator know how wonderful it was. Chicken, rice, fruit, salads...absolutely everything was delicious. They kept encouraging all of us to eat more. I don't think a crumb was left when everyone finished. There's no way I could have sat there and eaten a pre-packaged granola bar. We were very appreciative of the wonderful lunch they provided.

One of the BEST lunches we had anywhere was provided by a local tour operator in Roatan on a catamaran sail and snorkel this past summer. I felt like a pig but went back for seconds, along with almost everyone else on the boat, and made sure to let the tour operator know how wonderful it was. Chicken, rice, fruit, salads...absolutely everything was delicious. They kept encouraging all of us to eat more. I don't think a crumb was left when everyone finished. There's no way I could have sat there and eaten a pre-packaged granola bar. We were very appreciative of the wonderful lunch they provided.

So true. We have had similar experiences and enjoyed every one. Unless, you have serious food allergies or other medical issues, eat the lunch. It only adds to the whole ambiance !:D

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener

James Michener is not exactly a philosopher. You would do very well to approach both the local food and customs with common sense and not immersion. One should NOT eat the skins of any fruit, ice cubes, unsealed bottles of water, drinks made with tap water, or salads.

I worked and traveled extensively in Mexico (*and other S. American countries) and there are parasites and bacteria that will make non-locals very ill. As to the "customs", if you are not local then do not kid yourself about being accepted as a local in all things. You should be aware of what you can safely participate in and what you will not be accepted in doing. To do otherwise is at worse dangerous and at best boorish.

James Michener is not exactly a philosopher. You would do very well to approach both the local food and customs with common sense and not immersion. One should NOT eat the skins of any fruit, ice cubes, unsealed bottles of water, drinks made with tap water, or salads.

I worked and traveled extensively in Mexico (*and other S. American countries) and there are parasites and bacteria that will make non-locals very ill. As to the "customs", if you are not local then do not kid yourself about being accepted as a local in all things. You should be aware of what you can safely participate in and what you will not be accepted in doing. To do otherwise is at worse dangerous and at best boorish.

A. They are going to Cozumel which isn't the same as going to the heart of Mexico. B. A tour operator provided lunch will be properly sourced and food cleaned. Yes; I would do as you are suggested if ordering from a food stand outside the tourist areas in Mexico, but the food in Cozumel will be fine. Tourists eat it every day.

I've had food provided by tour operators in Mexico, Belize, Tanzania, and all over the Caribbean; never worried and never had an issue. They depend on their reviews and making tourists sick would tank their business.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums