Celebrity website BEYOND INSANITY

twobluecats

I have several fairly major issues with my reservations on this new website. These reservations were booked onboard Celebrity and later transferred to my TAs. If I were to call Celebrity to report the errors on my reservations that the website is throwing out, will they entertain me?

I have several fairly major issues with my reservations on this new website. These reservations were booked onboard Celebrity and later transferred to my TAs. If I were to call Celebrity to report the errors on my reservations that the website is throwing out, will they entertain me?

I have found the people at Captains Club are unfailingly pleasant, although they are powerless to do anything more than document the problems and forward them to IT who don't seem willing or able to do anything. It's been this way for months. For a while I had a functional link to the old site, which while no prize, functioned better than the new pretty disaster we have now. They have since taken it down so I now have no options. I've called the office of the CEO, but she doesn't seem interested in helping either. I guess that tells me what they think of my business .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I have found the people at Captains Club are unfailingly pleasant, although they are powerless to do anything more than document the problems and forward them to IT who don't seem willing or able to do anything. It's been this way for months. For a while I had a functional link to the old site, which while no prize, functioned better than the new pretty disaster we have now. They have since taken it down so I now have no options. I've called the office of the CEO, but she doesn't seem interested in helping either. I guess that tells me what they think of my business .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thank you. I have posted a reply to your other thread that you started. I think we should document all the errors (copy and paste) into a thread and send them off to CC...

Thank you. I have posted a reply to your other thread that you started. I think we should document all the errors (copy and paste) into a thread and send them off to CC...

If you're going to do that, you need to provide all the details. Otherwise it's useless for them.

You need to provide:

OS and version (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, etc or Mac and what version OS, if a phone, what phone and OS)

Browser and version (Chrome 59.0.3071.115 , Firefox 54, Safari xx, IE 10,8, whatever, Edge, etc)

Any browser settings or extensions/plug ins you might have (Ad blockers, anti-virus programs, firewalls, etc)

General computer info (RAM, graphics, etc)

Then provide what you did, what happened, and the URL of the page. The more details, the better.

I recently retired from that field - the absolute worst thing is somebody ranting about problems, but not bothering to give a URL, or the fact that they're using a 10 yr old computer and IE 8. Or that you set your security settings to high and all scripts are blocked.

I'm not a fan of the new website (too artsy of a design for the info that's required IMHO), but I also haven't had nearly the problems some here have had.

[quote=mmacdcc;53703127 Otherwise it's useless for them.

You need to provide:

You assume they are interested, I think that is a false assumption. You telling me with all their money and assets that if they wanted to they could not fix it. LOL

If you're going to do that, you need to provide all the details. Otherwise it's useless for them.

You need to provide:

OS and version (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, etc or Mac and what version OS, if a phone, what phone and OS)

Browser and version (Chrome 59.0.3071.115 , Firefox 54, Safari xx, IE 10,8, whatever, Edge, etc)

Any browser settings or extensions/plug ins you might have (Ad blockers, anti-virus programs, firewalls, etc)

Then provide what you did, what happened, and the URL of the page. The more details, the better.

I recently retired from that field - the absolute worst thing is somebody ranting about problems, but not bothering to give a URL, or the fact that they're using a 10 yr old computer and IE 8. Or that you set your security settings to high and all scripts are blocked.

I'm not a fan of the new website (too artsy of a design for the info that's required IMHO), but I also haven't had nearly the problems some here have had.

You are almost preaching to the choir... but not quite. I used to run software development groups. While it is true that the reports must be precise, I can tell you that any good technical tester and developer should be able to narrow and identify the problem when even just half the environment information and error messages are reported.

You assume they are interested, I think that is a false assumption. You telling me with all their money and assets that if they wanted to they could not fix it. LOL

Well, first they have to know WHAT to fix, and WHEN it breaks, and WHO it breaks for.

It's like telling your mechanic that your car is making a noise - but not telling him what noise, or the fact that it only happens when you drive over speed bumps at 40mph. :o

I have emailed them about the website - and I provide all that info, and more, including details I get from looking at the HTML that the page generates (which I don't expect anybody else to do - but I wrote this stuff for years). In some instances, it's changed/fixed. Not all, of course, but I assume they're working on it. Database cleanup and some server/backend issues (which you won't see directly) will probably take priority over other things.

That said, they rolled this out WAY too early IMHO, and changed all the account/reservation pages unnecessarily. They could have stayed the same, with just the public and cruise search pages updated, until they had a chance to REALLY test them.

Well, first they have to know WHAT to fix, and WHEN it breaks, and WHO it breaks for.

It's like telling your mechanic that your car is making a noise - but not telling him what noise, or the fact that it only happens when you drive over speed bumps at 40mph. :o

I have emailed them about the website - and I provide all that info, and more, including details I get from looking at the HTML that the page generates (which I don't expect anybody else to do - but I wrote this stuff for years). In some instances, it's changed/fixed. Not all, of course, but I assume they're working on it. Database cleanup and some server/backend issues (which you won't see directly) will probably take priority over other things.

That said, they rolled this out WAY too early IMHO, and changed all the account/reservation pages unnecessarily. They could have stayed the same, with just the public and cruise search pages updated, until they had a chance to REALLY test them.

A mechanic did not design and build the cars and all he is doing is refer to a technical manual on how to fix the car based on error reported. This is different because the software developers designed and built the application, so when an error is reported, debugging is much faster as all they really need is a clue, although when more information is given to them the faster they can zoom in.

CEOofVacation

I posted a suggestion on the Heartfelt thread for fields for new Problems Only proposed thread. Skip over to there and feel free to add/subtract or alter. I do also have email for IT manager so I'd be happy to email a link to the new thread once it gets started and going.

CEOofVacation

I posted a suggestion on the Heartfelt thread for fields for new Problems Only proposed thread. Skip over to there and feel free to add/subtract or alter. I do also have email for IT manager so I'd be happy to email a link to the new thread once it gets started and going.

Thank you! Going to work on it right now!

A mechanic did not design and build the cars and all he is doing is refer to a technical manual on how to fix the car based on error reported. This is different because the software developers designed and built the application, so when an error is reported, debugging is much faster as all they really need is a clue, although when more information is given to them the faster they can zoom in.

You're assuming the designer and the programmer are on the same team. My bet is they're not. And once the design and initial template is handed off, the next team may have only minimal contact with the first one.

All depends on how the project was broken up, and who's controlling it, and what their background is. Get a consultant doing the initial design/construction, and hand it off to another team that has to tie it into the back end, and have a project manager who is in marketing/PR and doesn't understand the tech part, but wants to keep to the rollout date regardless of problems, and you have - what Celebrity has.

A real mess. Happens way too often, and things get rolled out way before they should because of it.

I'm still working in the field and you're right. I also am not experiencing the issues that most of the people here are. I was able to find my excursions, get luggage tags mailed to me, check in and provide passport numbers, etc.

They are using Accenture, a reputable company - the same one that straightened out the healthcare.gov site - for their consolidated digital infrastructure. They had several different domains sharing the information, so I suspect the data problems are from trying to get multiple databases to behave. Plus they are designing for young people rather than the average cruiser, who is over 50.

Plus they are designing for young people rather than the average cruiser, who is over 50.

You need to provide:

You do not have to be young and you do not have to know the browser brand and version to know that listing an itinerary vertically so it can be seen at one view on a PC/laptop is right and displaying it horizontally so at no time can you see the entire voyage is wrong.

Bad design is bad even if features worked.

Likewise, taking away the ability to include the ship name as a search option is bad design.

Also, when selecting items such as months to search, it should not be necessary to also have to click on "Apply" to actually select them.

Edited by caribill

..........All depends on how the project was broken up, and who's controlling it, and what their background is. Get a consultant doing the initial design/construction, and hand it off to another team that has to tie it into the back end, and have a project manager who is in marketing/PR and doesn't understand the tech part, but wants to keep to the rollout date regardless of problems, and you have - what Celebrity has.

A real mess. Happens way too often, and things get rolled out way before they should because of it.

Exactly, and Celebrity keeps on repeating the same mistakes, placing their priority on appearance rather than function.

Duh, how about putting the priority on getting the website to function efficiently, instead of on displaying pretty pictures?

I wish that X could hire whatever team created Amazon's website. I just finished ordering several items from Amazon, and that website is such a pleasure to use.

For starters, their search function actually works.

Users can find what they want very easily, browse products, select items to order, check out and pay for them,

or change their minds, remove items, or add something else.

You can even jump back and forth from page to page without getting locked out!

It works across multiple platforms, on a variety of different devices, and is extremely user friendly. Customers need no prior computer training or experience with it to use it.

I have been ordering things on Amazon's website for nearly 20 years and cannot recall ever encountering the types of problems and error messages that routinely show up on Celebrity's website.

Apparently they don't use their customer website as their test website. ;p

if they were interested in what is going wrong for us then they would come on here and draft a thread that would give them the information they require in the form that can help.

BUT I DON'T SEE THAT. So I assume they are just NOT interested.

The only problem I have is that "you're locked out for 20 minutes". It could be 20 days, and I'm still locked out. I've used 3 different browsers, and the same result. Even Royal's site isn't that bad.

I have gotten that message in the past and have called Celebrity each time and they did something to give me immediate access.

I give the support people at Celebrity credit for trying and when possible helping us out!

Good luck!

You do not have to be young and you do not have to know the browser brand and version to know that listing an itinerary vertically so it can be seen at one view on a PC/laptop is right and displaying it horizontally so at no time can you see the entire voyage is wrong.

Likewise, taking away the ability to include the ship name as a search option is bad design.

Also, when selecting items such as months to search, it should not be necessary to also have to click on "Apply" to actually select them.

That assumes that the designers have some common sense and some experience booking cruises. Clearly they have neither. Of course people want to be able to see the itinerary on one page. Of course they want the ability to search for cruises by ship. People who cruise and posses a modicum of common sense know these things.

It appears that their charge was to make the site pretty. That they've done. Why Celebrity management didn't understand that pretty and dysfunctional would not get them more business is beyond me.

The only problem I have is that "you're locked out for 20 minutes". It could be 20 days, and I'm still locked out. I've used 3 different browsers, and the same result. Even Royal's site isn't that bad.

I have gotten that message in the past and have called Celebrity each time and they did something to give me immediate access.

Yes, the phone people are very helpful.

But, the last time I called I was on hold for almost 30 minutes due to a heavy call load (probably caused by user web site problems). It was quicker to wait out the lockout time.

Shore Ex page...."an error has occurred". I cannot get in to book excursions, or even browse. How annoying.

I called captains Club and had the rep email a pdf file of all the excursions available. Unfortunately instead of zipping thru the lists and descriptions online per port, I have 74 pages of info for the entire 14 day itinerary. But at least I have the info.

Now if interested I plan on calling to book them. I'm not playing the wait game. My blood pressure pill isn't made for this frustration.

Desktop is horizontal, with a 16:9 aspect ratio. Most sites see display resolutions of 1366 x 768 (over 50% of their visitors). If you can't see the horizontal site without scrolling horizontally you need a larger monitor or change your display resolution to that level or higher. Most phones are used vertically, with the smallest at 360px wide. A mobile responsive site uses a horizontal layout for desktop and then a vertical layout for mobile. Celebrity's site does this OK (I have seen better and they still have broken text by not degrading the horizontal fully ... they use three columns instead of a single column).

0D2IALdxWxSMgW4D70jfNTspTBGrBuX4DjAk1N0RL8XfqDWWZIEveiR1iA2dbRPAKe3ROVXWfkQ26ffjDGRt5it5X45aJeS4SN1DH54-7B9sOfMAHHJEW8tOpfRstSDFVIm4BziJ8W96Y0mHiksBV6BdlcHqR6RuK1_KAbYGYn4R89V7e2Muk4nCyL5noKhetV9TXtOMBmKodQ458d-sE8edO2kIRNCFLH4BMBUGmInZ0MXJCbZokpif_pnVguRQ3NRPWuiyqukg8eJKexv20kwUC9qXrs1QGaQ_ey0xxH-BltZhuG59gET2BuQcK3XfU-81MCC0iF5rGIY67GUH9FSVg7sdq5I9fmX6Efa7nG0OI19SqXeGdpj6c8fMaolkTyGok-fQc_7AEaYUb2d9IjR0UU7UVNIf4zkidu44jPnfANHzqTd2CiAJgIj1N2rZo6RfRvWsuutczNHM4BU0OKgnXsc6aC2ayR5ff5ClQ5U_w-0MsjS_wNzzhu0ufORsOBPMOTPOCSDSIzQSC9zwetwsLuPC4Drzm59RohpmiR9naMPGb9mawbFXnJNq4bZCYFh5pkWkL1OxNuQ3wxt7IAtML8vKsx4W_AjnE3uPzm-wgJ9Bn-z9t7IA=w540-h960-no

This tip has been pointed out several times here. After selecting the dates of travel (1), then the destination (2), the destination port (3) all cruises matching those criteria are displayed.

Then if you want to REFINE those results you click the REFINE icon and get a submenu. You can refine by number of guests, features, ships, number of days or special offers.

yeZTnbPndXCoR1Gs477Vn-0mEgAt_1JPDJYHwvM1mQkauvWsM727pT0l1MHnBhaJKXxDL72gOMrJFig3PW0t4TjntY4xrnDcEjN9yimCpXbgGXf_NxuPVzWiC83ySZO3mqsUg5EpoO-oySzYHW7dUqarfcYqg1kCawJaN4nFQGAr-4ypJWrEJ_43-ttml6vsoRmH-ZbMaruVKq1YHVVafSZOhCJP-F1teVakCQwnjie2ynMsZrWhzPsfHfhbak8AzPD_thBZZRbTShyEyeQ13ceZaKp9JFNlE7AUEs-fUrXQK9T-5Bm_1kEcHwK-KmK8JAoia-nEPI-etp-jYLks7r2L-m0B2Brh0jybA2S9oKQxYGfYOSeqJydXPpNWhPa2LX8ryH5QAJBMpJGAceqnISCZepxKlXFVZG9tAxXi44vJF7zJYeRZ55HMcq6jtquonk7s5VZNMKyltEigaFwEKOMC5wRuIGtf1Sr5k_tMEfidR9F24GRQNPv7TI7o7KW0LYPxxKJ3qmDX7QPpbOQETLAMUv732GTplXJNRK3iJr9Vk3gqOTDqkqt1TF4cjFHzKwnR-YMzGxyO6lEX9mAX-K6R5uwNXyNX6T3BGujSF1eKIEHX9R4J6-gV=w1160-h497-no